Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestlemania 35 Thread * Spoilers* (*No Betting Talk*)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Necro wrote: »
    Well Reigns VS Taker was flat as fook.
    HHH VS Jericho was killed by the crowd being dead from Rock VS Hogan.

But the worst iirc is Miz and Cena with the Rocks shenanigans providing a screwy finish.

Yeah theres been flatter matches but I can't think of one that finished with a botch and quick exit like that. Was like a bad episode of Thunder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The Nal wrote:
    Yeah theres been flatter matches but I can't think of one that finished with a botch and quick exit like that. Was like a bad episode of Thunder.

Nah Miz Cena was way worse as a comparison.

Firstly ended on a double count out then got restarted by the Rock who promptly Rock Bottomed Cena to cost him the match.

The Fatal Four Way between Rock, HHH Foley and Big Show had some sort of stupid screwjob finish too I just cant recall it off hand.

Ending was pretty bad admittedly but worst ever? Not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Mr_Man2121 wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey spoiled the main event for me

It’s the main headline on RTE’s entertainment section too. I would definitely have seen that if I was trying to avoid the spoilers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm laughing at all the talks of the ending being botched, even if the ref had a complete brain fart and counted 3 when he shouldn't have they would have just brought somoene down to restart the match to get the proper finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

There was a shifting of the legs movement from Becky which lifted Ronda off the mat after having her shoulders down and the ref was too eager to actually wait to count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Well Mania definitely peaked at the Kofi/Bryan match, that was near pro-wrestling perfection, loved the celebrations with mini New Day :D

Before that the SD tag match and Murphy/Nese were good matches. Miz/Shane was an entertaining brawl and Lesnar/Rollins while pure angle was the correct decision at least.

Don't want to say it fell off a cliff after but it was so boring. HHH and Batista plodding around for nearly 30 mins, Corbin, Reigns, the usual stuff. The main event ending, if not botched, was so stupid, Rousey's shoulders were clearly up at the one count.

Takeover was definitely the best event of the weekend, although the G1 could have been if ROH held up their end of the bargain better.

Top 5 of the weekend for me were:
    1 - Dunne vs WALTER
    2 - Bryan vs Kofi
    3 - Ibushi vs Naito
    4 - War Raiders vs Ricochet/Black
    5 - Suzuki vs Barnett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not a chance it was botched. Becky was never going to tap her with an armbar. That would've ruined a lot of Ronda's aura. It was either beat Charlotte or a roll-up on Ronda. It all plays too well into further storylines for it to be a botch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Why was Kevin Nash excited to finger a guy?

Is that the first ever WWE Champion...with pigtails?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Not a chance it was botched. Becky was never going to tap her with an armbar. That would've ruined a lot of Ronda's aura. It was either beat Charlotte or a roll-up on Ronda. It all plays too well into further storylines for it to be a botch.

The botch was just the shoulders coming off the mat, everything else about it went to plan. I think it’s a fortunate botch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Overall it wasn't a bad wrestlemaina, some very solid matches and they gave a lot of face victories, maybe a few too many 😂one one massive negative is the length of the show itd just insane and mania is the showcase of that immortals, you don't need everyone on it. Also Triple H needs to stop the ego stroking at his age, a 25 minute match for *uck sake. Was the longest match of the night for two old men, let the young talent do quick paced longer matches #WrestleMania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I wasn't expecting a Ronda tap but there are other ways to provide a more convincing win while keeping Ronda's aura in tact. For example they're fond of multiple finisher finishes so they could have had Becky hit multiple bexploders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

There seems to be some increased suggestion that the ref screwed it up. Meltzer says Ronda is finished wrestling for the foreseeable future and also has a badly broken hand.

Pentecost wrote:
    There seems to be some increased suggestion that the ref screwed it up. Meltzer says Ronda is finished wrestling for the foreseeable future and also has a badly broken hand.

So now its switched from botch to ref screw up. Truth is no one has a clue right now :pac:

Raw should be good imo. I dont think Ronda is done but it's a good line to spin.

She will likely work a less than fulltime schedule though imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

According to Dave Metzler there was no botch and Becky was meant to pin Ronda not that I think the pin was supposed to go down like that. He also said apparently Ronda has a broken hand and will be out for a while

Link here: https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2019/4/8/18300099/ronda-rousey-broken-hand-wwe-wrestlemania-35

Don't think it was botched looking again, but it did not come off well at all, looked awful, shoulder's were clearly up during the refs count.

D3m3QrVWkAEdw8o?format=jpg&name=small

How does one get diagnosed with a severely broken hand exactly :pac:

I've said it before and I'll say it again about Meltzer. Nowadays hes as clueless as the rest of us when it comes to WWE. His sources are non existent.

Before the show he was spinning that she was done with wrestling anyways, now he doesn't know. Hes a spoofer of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Necro wrote: »
    How does one get diagnosed with a severely broken hand exactly :pac:

I've said it before and I'll say it again about Meltzer. Nowadays hes as clueless as the rest of us when it comes to WWE. His sources are non existent.

Before the show he was spinning that she was done with wrestling anyways, now he doesn't know. Hes a spoofer of the highest order.

He's such a spoofer, Eamon Dunphy would be proud :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

His main source from back in the day just started working there again, Give it time before he is up to date with what is going on in the Fed.

I think this will be the last mega-length Wrestlemania.

They're sabotaging their main events and any other matches past the 4 hour point.

I don't understand why you have to get absolutely everyone on the show. Finn/Bobby for instance, the only difference in that being a Raw match is some body paint.

1 hour pre-show and 4 hour max main show.

• Advertisement

Depends on what they want to do with their bloated roster to be honest. Like they could easily just run it over two days, spread it out and everyone would be relatively much happier.

Danger there is that both days eventually become marathons :eek:

But unless they sack half the roster the card size is only going to increase, not get smaller.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

While I'm thrilled for Becky, I disliked the suddenness of the ending.

Compared to Kofi's match, the main event felt like such a random ending. I get they were going for Becky just catching Ronda....but that's not a Mania finish. Kofi building up to hitting the finishing moves, letting the crowd get excited too, is a proper Mania ending. This was just out of nowhere, and the crowd were flat so weren't caught off guard too.

Kofi match was exactly what I wanted.

Was an ok Mania, but not much special. Going to take a while to process it all though cause I've been watching all morning, and I think I've forgotten a tonne of it.

Longer Mania = more adverts. More matches = more chance you’ll buy the ppv to support your hero.

It’s all financially driven. It’ll continue to be a bloated mess if it makes money. Even the stadium size is just too much. What can the floor seat people even see. What can the upper stands people either see or hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The first half of Wrestlemania was grand all the way up until Kofi Kingston winning the WWE Champiomship. The last half kind've sucked. Those later matches really killed the momentum and were kind've a waste.

I could have done without Drew/Roman, Angle/Corbin and Balor/Lashley. The Triple Threat Main Event was ok but I personally think Sasha Vs Becky Vs Charlotte from Wrestlemania 32 was superior. The ending was kind've anticlimactic considering the significance of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

You know what I absolutely do not need right now? Wrestling podcasts. Usually enjoy hearing other people chat about the show, including NXT, New Japan etc. The absolute last thing I want to hear right now is people debating the merits of that HHH Batista match or the ROH world title match. Just give me some fun surprises on Raw please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

NDWC wrote: »
    He's apparently had the longest match at 7 of the last 8 'Manias, the only one where he didn't he had the second longest

Make that 8 of the last 9 :rolleyes:

His match this year was one of his better ones in that stretch though

• Advertisement

HHH self indulgent bullsh1t really is a bore now and reason enough to want him finished as an in ring competitor forever.

cian68 wrote: »
    You know what I absolutely do not need right now? Wrestling podcasts. Usually enjoy hearing other people chat about the show, including NXT, New Japan etc. The absolute last thing I want to hear right now is people debating the merits of that HHH Batista match or the ROH world title match. Just give me some fun surprises on Raw please

I'm listening to the Post Wrestling review. They said that it was 2:30am when they were starting the podcast and the running time is 135 minutes.

Mentalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

GSPfan wrote: »
    Longer Mania = more adverts. More matches = more chance you’ll buy the ppv to support your hero.

It’s all financially driven. It’ll continue to be a bloated mess if it makes money. Even the stadium size is just too much. What can the floor seat people even see. What can the upper stands people either see or hear.

In that case maybe it is time to split it over 2 nights. Nxt on Thursday. Hall of fame Friday. First half of wrestlemania Saturday max 3 hour show, second half Sunday max 3 hours. RAW Monday. No pre show matches.

It makes it a long aul weekend but it at least gives a crowd a chance recover a bit. They are absolutely dead every years towards the end.

With the 2 brands as well they'd easily have 2 main events for both nights each year. Bryan v Kofi could have main evented Saturday no problem.

I think anything is better than what we seen yesterday. There's too much in one night to fully appreciate any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That Angle moonsault was as impressive as it was terrifying, there's no way he should even be in the ring nevermind attempting spots like that

The logistics of a two night show would probably put a load of people off. It's probably an extra night in a hotel/Airbnb for a start.

Just shorten the show, that's all that is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

4 hours is OK. 5.23 hours is absolutely ridiculous. Your main event is always the one that suffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

That's the correct answer for sure. But it's almost certainly a no go for WWE at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In that case maybe it is time to split it over 2 nights. Nxt on Thursday. Hall of fame Friday. First half of wrestlemania Saturday max 3 hour show, second half Sunday max 3 hours.

Wrestle Kingdom is doing that next year; the difference is I would have more faith in them than WWE to make me interested in watching all of that.
    The Battle Royal's, Reigns vs McIntyre, Batista vs HHH, Balor vs Lashley, Joe vs Mysterio & Styles vs Orton were all built up either poor or just like it was another show. I don't hear my friends or people online telling me this morning to watch any of them either; bar people saying to find Batista tripping up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The logistics of a two night show would probably put a load of people off. It's probably an extra night in a hotel/Airbnb for a start.

Not a logistically nightmare really most fans are there since Friday and will stay right up to Smackdown on Tuesday, I imagine the hardcore Mania fans would welcome the split.

If they're insisting on having 16 plus matches they need to split it to retain the quality and to give the fans a chance to recover, the crowd suffers badly during these marathon events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

The schedule should really be Hall of Fame Thursday, NXT Friday, Mania Saturday/Sunday.

Doubt WWE will go for it though, Smackdown moves to Friday soon too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ThePott wrote: »
    The schedule should really be Hall of Fame Thursday, NXT Friday, Mania Saturday/Sunday.

Doubt WWE will go for it though, Smackdown moves to Friday soon too.

The Smackdown before Mania could be pretaped and they could still have NXT.

HoF on the Thursday.

NXT Wrestlemania on the Friday.

Smackdown Wrestlemania on the Saturday.

Raw Wrestlemania on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

Loughc wrote: »
    The Smackdown before Mania could be pretaped and they could still have NXT.

That could work, although I think I heard Fox were crazy about it being live but I'm sure for the one night they wouldn't mind. Depends on what this 'New' Smackdown looks like.

I would love a two-night Mania, you'd be able to have running stories throughout it if you needed to less bloat and all that but I don't think WWE would ever go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No Ambrose was a surprise and now he's gone

Thought a shield reunion of some sort

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wrestle Kingdom is doing that next year; the difference is I would have more faith in them than WWE to make me interested in watching all of that.
    The Battle Royal's, Reigns vs McIntyre, Batista vs HHH, Balor vs Lashley, Joe vs Mysterio & Styles vs Orton were all built up either poor or just like it was another show. I don't hear my friends or people online telling me this morning to watch any of them either; bar people saying to find Batista tripping up.

56521535_2248102111895497_2427343704122458112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=224bbca6d069e85b520b7cb681fa93dc&oe=5D3C8BD8

I wonder why :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

They don't need a 2nd day, they just need a change in the way matches are done

The consensus best Mania of all time, 17, only had 1 less match than last night but was an hour and a half shorter because only a few of the matches went over 10 minutes, whereas most of last nights did

Make the matches shorter, higher paced, and give us something different instead of generic wwe match A number 6

More of the matches needed to be an all out fight from the start, Batista and HHH should have been a 6-8 minute war like Brock v Goldberg

The one thing I will say in WWE's defense of Mania and similar to NXT on Friday night, they made every match feel different. No 2 matches were the same or followed the same formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wonder why :p

I was expecting this

giphy.gif

or maybe this

kUMRh4l0.gif

The latter is sad for 2 reasons Vader has since passed away and it reminded me that Vince wanted Stone Cold to lose to Jonathan fúcking Coachman :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

HoF on the Thursday.

NXT Wrestlemania on the Friday.

Smackdown Wrestlemania on the Saturday.

Raw Wrestlemania on the Sunday.

Smackdown is on TV on Friday night. They're not going to compete with themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very disappointed with Mania. Honestly felt like a jump the shark moment from a creative sense.

I think it's terrible that Kofi Kingston is the WWE Champion. The top belt should be reserved for top stars and not given to every long time servant like it's a participation trophy.

As The Rock circa 2000 might say, "The Championship is like Stephanie. Everybody gets (pause) a turn."

And then we have Brock Lesnar, arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time, one of the most dominant wrestlers of all time, legit badass, could murder anyone on that roster without breaking a sweat, having to be jobbed out like a chump to a guy barely bigger than Finn Balor who will never amount to anything in the mainstream. Slay the Beast? More like bury the business.

To me, Kofi and Rollins are the kind of guys that are best suited to the Ricky Morton role when he'd face Flair. Great wrestlers, and you're convinced they're so close to winning it, but they just fall short. I know Rollins has held the title before but it was a forgettable reign. Why push these guys who will never be anything more than Dolph Ziggler level?

Then we have Bret in the house but rather than give the fans and the watching media a great moment of him celebrating with his niece whose moment was ruined the night before, instead we have two of the worst wrestlers in the company win the bout. They could have done that finish tomorrow if it was so important (it wasn't).

And why can't I get my moment of Orton winning via a mid-air RKO to Styles going for the Phenomenal Forearm? Would it have been a big deal?

As has been pointed out the show was too long which hurt some of the matches. HHH vs Batista springs to mind here.

I am pleased that Becky won and that's the best part of the show. Shame the finish was what it was.

Overall, thumbs down show.

Very disappointed with Mania. Honestly felt like a jump the shark moment from a creative sense.

I think it's terrible that Kofi Kingston is the WWE Champion. The top belt should be reserved for top stars and not given to every long time servant like it's a participation trophy.

As The Rock circa 2000 might say, "The Championship is like Stephanie. Everybody gets (pause) a turn."

And then we have Brock Lesnar, arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time, one of the most dominant wrestlers of all time, legit badass, could murder anyone on that roster without breaking a sweat, having to be jobbed out like a chump to a guy barely bigger than Finn Balor who will never amount to anything in the mainstream. Slay the Beast? More like bury the business.

To me, Kofi and Rollins are the kind of guys that are best suited to the Ricky Morton role when he'd face Flair. Great wrestlers, and you're convinced they're so close to winning it, but they just fall short. I know Rollins has held the title before but it was a forgettable reign. Why push these guys who will never be anything more than Dolph Ziggler level?

Then we have Bret in the house but rather than give the fans and the watching media a great moment of him celebrating with his niece whose moment was ruined the night before, instead we have two of the worst wrestlers in the company win the bout. They could have done that finish tomorrow if it was so important (it wasn't).

And why can't I get my moment of Orton winning via a mid-air RKO to Styles going for the Phenomenal Forearm? Would it have been a big deal?

As has been pointed out the show was too long which hurt some of the matches. HHH vs Batista springs to mind here.

I am pleased that Becky won and that's the best part of the show. Shame the finish was what it was.

The mid-air RKO from the Phenomenal Forearm happened on this week's Smackdown, wouldn't have been a great finish to use it again so soon. And I don't think five WWE champions in the last two years is an indication that everybody gets a turn of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Don't let kayfabe die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The mid-air RKO from the Phenomenal Forearm happened on this week's Smackdown, wouldn't have been a great finish to use it again so soon. And I don't think five WWE champions in the last two years is an indication that everybody gets a turn of it.

The match has been building for weeks. There was no need to do it on Smackdown. Most of the roster seems to get a turn if they hang around long enough.
    Don't let kayfabe die.

"Just because kayfabe is dead doesn't mean you have to piss on its corpse." - Jim Cornette

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

This has been stewing on my mind since last night, and the absolute bang of elitism from Mr. Nice Guy's post flicked a switch in my head.

I mentioned it last night, but I'll mention it again, I'm ****ing delighted Seth beat Brock for the Universal Championship, and to quote a snippet of MNG's post above.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in itself, at least we'd see the Universal Championship on a more regular weekly basis, instead of it being held hostage by one man, who comes and goes as he pleases/his contract stipulates, and defends said Championship when it suits him.

Now let me say I've nothing against Lesnar who no doubt is all the things MNG mentioned above, (and I'm looking forward to seeing him fight Cormier at some point down the road) but his gimmick for me in WWE is absolutely stale and he bores me to absolute tears.

Sure he's great as a Special Attraction, but he's also a part timer, does he really need a Championship when everyone else busts their ass day in, day out to earn a shot, but instantly get brushed aside cause Lesnar's decided he wants an easy pay-day, or had his ass handed to him in a UFC fight and he comes running back, tail between legs like a spoilt child, cause he knows Vince will appease his demands.

Goodbye & Good Riddance Brock Lesnar.

• Advertisement

The match has been building for weeks. There was no need to do it on Smackdown. Most of the roster seems to get a turn if they hang around long enough.

"Just because kayfabe is dead doesn't mean you have to piss on its corpse." - Jim Cornette

No arguments there, I did think it was one of the better builds for this Mania though. Didn't think the match was particularly memorable, like a lot of Orton's more recent Mania appearances.

Advertisement