Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestlemania 35 Thread * Spoilers* (*No Betting Talk*)

1282930313234»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The match has been building for weeks. There was no need to do it on Smackdown. Most of the roster seems to get a turn if they hang around long enough.

"Just because kayfabe is dead doesn't mean you have to piss on its corpse." - Jim Cornette

Hey yo. Say hello to Mr. Bad Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve tried to watch back some of the event from last night and I gotten to two hours into it. The wwe network has been great in many many ways but prior to it wwe had a certain block of time with the PPV companies and it was set in stone. Bruce Prichard talked about it on a recent podcast about what went into timing out a show. He said he knew the amount of time he had to work with planned out the time accordingly. The wwe network had freed them of this restriction and I’m sorry to say it’s not been for the better. I mean those of us who stayed up to watch it, how many of us remembered every detail from seven hours before by the end ? I certainly didn’t which is why I’m rewatching it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    how many of us remembered every detail from seven hours before by the end ? I certainly didn’t which is why I’m rewatching it today.

That just reminded me of something

Does anybody know how many times Cesaro swung Ricochet? It must have been 30+ at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Loughc wrote: »
    Hey yo. Say hello to Mr. Bad Guy

Don't know what you're getting at here.
    Lithium93_ wrote:
    This has been stewing on my mind since last night, and the absolute bang of elitism from Mr. Nice Guy's post flicked a switch in my head.

:pac: Where is the 'bang of elitism'?
    Lithium93_ wrote:
    That's not necessarily a bad thing in itself, at least we'd see the Universal Championship on a more regular weekly basis, instead of it being held hostage by one man, who comes and goes as he pleases/his contract stipulates, and defends said Championship when it suits him.

Now let me say I've nothing against Lesnar who no doubt is all the things MNG mentioned above, (and I'm looking forward to seeing him fight Cormier at some point down the road) but his gimmick for me in WWE is absolutely stale and he bores me to absolute tears.

Sure he's great as a Special Attraction, but he's also a part timer, does he really need a Championship when everyone else busts their ass day in, day out to earn a shot, but instantly get brushed aside cause Lesnar's decided he wants an easy pay-day, or had his ass handed to him in a UFC fight and he comes running back, tail between legs like a spoilt child, cause he knows Vince will appease his demands.

Goodbye & Good Riddance Brock Lesnar.

Being a part timer actually helps you get over nowadays because the creative is so bad. He is the one guy on the roster that has legitimacy and credibility. What bores me to tears are these lame 200 pound acrobats who are all about the MOVES.

The man puts it best in his own words...

https://twitter.com/nWoWolfpacTV/status/1114986843924201473

:pac: Where is the 'bang of elitism'?

What bores me to tears are these lame 200 pound acrobats who are all about the MOVES.

There it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

First Mania I watched sober in about 15 years, in an effort to stay awake for the main event.
    It worked!

Thought the set up was the laziest one in years, nothing unique about it.
    Was a slog of a show, only missed the women's battle royal.(who won that btw?)

Thought most of the matches went well, the pace of the show was ok all things considered. Some matches finished quicker than expected, 1st half of the show especially.

Two matches stuck out for me, Miz and Shane was way better than I expected, and Kofi and Bryan delivered. Bryan especially desevres credit for how he worked that match. Think he is head and shoulders the best worker in WWE today.

AJ and Orton was ok, thought the Smackdown tag match bought a lot of energy and was fun to watch.

After that the rest wasn't great.
    HHH's enterance... Just have a **** on the stage next year, same thing.
    Match was ok, but the pace killed off any interest, HBK didn't really add anything by being out there. Thought he did ok in hyping up Batista to be fair.

Wanted the Hardy Boyz to dump Braun out, ah well!

Balor... Minus reaction. Could blame the placement on the card, but personally, I think it would have stank anywhere on the card. Don't know where he goes from here.

Women's tag match was lackluster, yet another Mania loss for Sasha(0-4?)

And the main event... Thought it started off fairly weak. Charlotte seemed to be the main protagonist in the match, that annoyed me a fair bit. And by all accounts it looks like she had done most of the damage to Ronda. Still though, as the match went on I found it building up nicely, if anything the quick finish left me feeling robbed. It felt there were another 5-10 mins left in the match before it ended.
    Reaction was, what? It's over? Mainly because I was ready for more. The botched finish only added to my confusion.

But at the end of the day, Becky got the job done! She played it like she was genuinely stunned too. So see what happens on Raw tonight, I sense a rematch... Broken hand or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reckon a mania trip would cost way too much when u count hotel costs/logistics/merch/food and drink and ticket costs on top of that. Depends on ur income tbh and you would have too be saving a year in advance

There it is

That's not elitism. It might be elitist if I said I didn't want guys of that size anywhere in the company. That's not my view.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Reckon a mania trip would cost way too much when u count hotel costs/logistics/merch/food and drink and ticket costs on top of that. Depends on ur income tbh and you would have too be saving a year in advance

It's a while since I priced it, but I believe it can be done right, as in Raw night after, entry to some of the Axess events etc, for about €2.5k

Was always on the future bucket list, don't have as much heed as a few years ago when the streak was a thing, I really wanted to see a proper Taker entrance live for the streak but that obviously stopped too

That's not elitism. It might be elitist if I said I didn't want guys of that size anywhere in the company. That's not my view.

You're going on about MOVES, and you mentioned the fact it's the 200 pound guys doing them so yeah it's a bit about size

You're talking about how Lesnar is the only legit guy there, why is that, because he's a "real" fighter who's big too

You're entitled to like whatever you like in wrestling obviously, fact is most of the people watching last night be they kids or online smarks loved Kofi and Seth winning, so sh1tting on it will always be unpopular

• Advertisement

It's a while since I priced it, but I believe it can be done right, as in Raw night after, entry to some of the Axess events etc, for about €2.5k

Was always on the future bucket list, don't have as much heed as a few years ago when the streak was a thing, I really wanted to see a proper Taker entrance live for the streak but that obviously stopped too

One of the big cash cows for wwe for sure

If i got into a load of money I'd do it in a heartbeat

Now i just have too do with Live events in Dublin and TV tapings in the UK if I can afford them.

Think its time for a UK main roster PPV

PTH2009 wrote: »
    One of the big cash cows for wwe for sure

If i got into a load of money I'd do it in a heartbeat

Now i just have too do with Live events in Dublin and TV tapings in the UK if I can afford them.

Think its time for a UK main roster PPV

I've little interest in the live events myself, even when living in Dublin I wasn't bothered with them

I'd say a Rumble could be done for in or around €1k depending on what city it's in, that's just as tempting for me as Mania

You're going on about MOVES, and you mentioned the fact it's the 200 pound guys doing them so yeah it's a bit about size

You're talking about how Lesnar is the only legit guy there, why is that, because he's a "real" fighter who's big too

You're entitled to like whatever you like in wrestling obviously, fact is most of the people watching last night be they kids or online smarks loved Kofi and Seth winning, so sh1tting on it will always be unpopular

Nothing you're describing is elitism though. There are guys I can buy as credible contenders to Brock. Strowman, Reigns, Joe, WALTER, Drew for instance. Wanting an opponent for Brock that doesn't insult the general public's intelligence is not elitism.

I'm aware the majority of people will have liked it but that's not an argument that it was best for business. WWE historically don't always give fans what they want. Think of Hunter vs Booker for example. I'd argue he was a far more deserving winner than the guys who won last night tbh.

Do you think Kofi or Seth will ever amount to anything significant in the mainstream? I can't see it.

Nothing you're describing is elitism though. There are guys I can buy as credible contenders to Brock. Strowman, Reigns, Joe, WALTER, Drew for instance. Wanting an opponent for Brock that doesn't insult the general public's intelligence is not elitism.

I'm aware the majority of people will have liked it but that's not an argument that it was best for business. WWE historically don't always give fans what they want. Think of Hunter vs Booker for example. I'd argue he was a far more deserving winner than the guys who won last night tbh.

Do you think Kofi or Seth will ever amount to anything significant in the mainstream? I can't see it.

You're only naming big guys as threats to Brock, that's literally elitism. If you don't have muscles and aren't this high then goodbye.

Why should I care if they will amount to anything in the mainstream? It's nice when it happens, but by your logic credible guys such as Diesel and Sycho Sid were big in the mainstream obviously

I watch wrestling for wrestling and what it is, not what might get a mention on Jimmy Fallon and SNL, I mean the SNL guys are "mainstream" stars and they got a massive reaction whenever they appeared in front of the grateful WWE audience right..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://youtu.be/D5gBYgPZigk

Here's my last video spoilers inside

back to work tomorrow so no raw for me tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

The only thing that bothers me about the possibility of Kofi winning is that footage of his victory will forever be tainted with that God awful looking "Eco friendly" WWE championship

Just looking back at my post from last week.....I'm so happy they brought out the Real WWE title for Kofi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Funny Mcgregor tweeting a good bit about Wrestlemania.

Will he make an appearance tonight? Mcgregor vs Brock perhaps

You're only naming big guys as threats to Brock, that's literally elitism. If you don't have muscles and aren't this high then goodbye.

Why should I care if they will amount to anything in the mainstream? It's nice when it happens, but by your logic credible guys such as Diesel and Sycho Sid were big in the mainstream obviously

I watch wrestling for wrestling and what it is, not what might get a mention on Jimmy Fallon and SNL, I mean the SNL guys are "mainstream" stars and they got a massive reaction whenever they appeared in front of the grateful WWE audience right..........

It's not about muscles. It's about having credibility to beat a guy everyone knows is a legit badass. Cesaro's not exactly a meathead but I could buy him as a contender as he's strong and athletic. If they presented and pushed Gable's amateur background I could buy him as a contender despite his short stature. Rollins beating Brock in two minutes is about as believable as X-Pac beating Kane in two minutes.

Fans ought to care about the mainstream if they want to see the wrestling audience grow. That's always been the goal of the wrestling business. I don't get why you seem to want the title on guys that are never going to be top guys. It's a waste of time.

upinsmoke wrote: »
    Funny Mcgregor tweeting a good bit about Wrestlemania.

Will he make an appearance tonight? Mcgregor vs Brock perhaps

Nah brock has flown home apparently

• Advertisement

It's not about muscles. It's about having credibility to beat a guy everyone knows is a legit badass. Cesaro's not exactly a meathead but I could buy him as a contender as he's strong and athletic. If they presented and pushed Gable's amateur background I could buy him as a contender despite his short stature. Rollins beating Brock in two minutes is about as believable as X-Pac beating Kane in two minutes.

Fans ought to care about the mainstream if they want to see the wrestling audience grow. That's always been the goal of the wrestling business. I don't get why you seem to want the title on guys that are never going to be top guys. It's a waste of time.

Trying to appeal to the mainstream by just having believable guys is Vince in the 1980s, believable then was muscly guys since they were so amazing and unbelievable at the time, whereas now you seem to want legit guys who could actually beat you up, thing is MMA has that covered

Give me an underdog like Kofi anyday over attempts to just try and keep up with what the mainstream may or may well not care about, please the genuine fans first since they're paying the bills year round

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The match has been building for weeks. There was no need to do it on Smackdown.

They actually did 2 smarter spots at the Elimination Chamber event where AJ faked the springboard and then latter in the Chamber match Orton grabbed him as he was doing a springboard and hit him with the RKO.
    Orton needs to do a bit more than think of ways to RKO opponents

Trying to appeal to the mainstream by just having believable guys is Vince in the 1980s, believable then was muscly guys since they were so amazing and unbelievable at the time, whereas now you seem to want legit guys who could actually beat you up, thing is MMA has that covered

Give me an underdog like Kofi anyday over attempts to just try and keep up with what the mainstream may or may well not care about, please the genuine fans first since they're paying the bills year round

I think trying to appeal to the mainstream is very much part of this decade which is why Brock is on the money he is - and why Ronda was also brought in. Last night was the first time Vince did that to Brock with a small guy and I think it was a mistake. As I said before, it's not about the muscles.

You're entitled to want what you want obviously but personally I miss the glory days of wrestling when you actually had legit badass champs like Austin, Goldberg, Taker, young Brock, '06 Angle etc. I like Kofi and he's a good hand but he's not WWE Title material imo, any more than Jinder was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

It's funny reading how people were disappointed with the Styles Orton match as if they expected more.

When was the last time Orton was in a classic match? Or any memorable match in general. I literally can't think of any, unless going back to his legend killer gimmick. The Mick Foley match is the last one I think truly stands out from the generic list.

Officer999 wrote: »
    It's funny reading how people were disappointed with the Styles Orton match as if they expected more.

When was the last time Orton was in a classic match? Or any memorable match in general. I literally can't think of any, unless going back to his legend killer gimmick. The Mick Foley match is the last one I think truly stands out from the generic list.

Mania 30 main event match was good. The match the following year with Rollins had that incredible RKO finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

You're entitled to want what you want obviously but personally I miss the glory days of wrestling when you actually had legit badass champs like Austin, Goldberg, Taker, young Brock, '06 Angle etc. I like Kofi and he's a good hand but he's not WWE Title material imo, any more than Jinder was.

Austin? Taker? They're just pro wresters. Nothing legit about them.

Monokne wrote: »
    Austin? Taker? They're just pro wresters. Nothing legit about them.

Legit in the sense of being taken seriously as tough guys. Many wrestling fans at the time were willing to believe Austin stood a chance against Tyson which was crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Disappointing mania no great or even really good matchs thought kofi v bryan was good the main event was decent enough after that the rest of the matches were just average definitely not a mania worth rewatching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cool pic that someone posted on Reddit...

piso8rs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

She looks so small in that ring. Noticed as well when she was standing next to the ropes while trying to hold 2 belts.
    Fair play to her though I would like to know the story behind that ending. Everyone seemed surprised at the ending, and not just the fans.

One thing that was annoying me throughout the night is the very late kickout. The refs are having to stop counting before the kickout for fear of making a mistake.

Great to see the Doctor of Thuganomics. Though if I was there I wouldn't be cheering hime. All those people paid good money for an Elias concert only to have it interrupted. Would you want that to happen at a concert you were going to?

Wonder if the Joe/Rey ending was messed up in some way? Seemed Rey screamed in genuine pain when Joe dropped him before finishing. Guess the injury stopped any Dominic involvement due to a short match.

I don't mind IIconics winning, though I was wondering were Billie and Bayley even legal.

And of course, forget Becky or Kofi. The biggest news of the night is the end of yet another streak at Mania - Curt Hawkins!

Oh and anyone else see that HHH didn't really pull the piercing out?

And seemed Lana had a bit of a malfunction in the Battle Royal. Saw her tying her top. Though think it just became loose.
    Still no idea what the deal with Dana is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am disappointed Kurt lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I don't mind him losing but ANYONE would have been better than Corbin. ****ing hell he's a charisma vacuum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It's an old wrestling tradition that the retiring wrestler loses their final match. It's thought of as a way to give back to the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its rather poetic that they mess up that too. He's not the performer he was but his last WWE run is easily his career low-point from a creative POV & when he spent a chunk of his career being booked by Vince Russo that's a real achievement. Still he gained a son out of it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ERG89 wrote: »
    Its rather poetic that they mess up that too. He's not the performer he was but his last WWE run is easily his career low-point from a creative POV & when he spent a chunk of his career being booked by Vince Russo that's a real achievement. Still he gained a son out of it :rolleyes:

What happened with his "son", just dropped when Jordan got injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It seems thousands were left stranded in the shadow of New York after the over run as buses and trains stopped running.

The WWE didn't let NJ transit know they were going to over run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

What happened with his "son", just dropped when Jordan got injured?
    Yeah basically. Poor Jason is retired from wrestling now too so maybe they have time to do some father-son bonding? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It seems thousands were left stranded in the shadow of New York after the over run as buses and trains stopped running.

The WWE didn't let NJ transit know they were going to over run.

They really don't like their fans do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Why is she called 'The Man' are they not trying to push women for being women?

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Why is she called 'The Man' are they not trying to push women for being women?

They are but Becky calling herself the man has nothing to do with gender according to herself. She's mentioned the phrase "the be the man, you've got to beat the man."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They are but Becky calling herself the man has nothing to do with gender according to herself. She's mentioned the phrase "the be the man, you've got to beat the man."

So she's just ripping off Flair then? Original

No she's not I'm using that quote because it's one that ties into wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

They ran that the man stuff into the ground on poor Becky but I suppose she won't be too unhappy taking her cut of the merchandise profits.

They just can't let people be spontaneous without commodifying it. I'm amazed they didn't sell Nakamura t-shirts with his speak no English line, a rare case of restraint from them.

Flair ripped the Nature Boy gimmick from Buddy Rogers, it happens in wrestling such is the game

Same as Flair put his spin on a gimmick, Becky is putting her spin on a term 30 years later

If anyone has Becky's number let me know, I want to ask her out on a date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

upinsmoke wrote: »
    If anyone has Becky's number let me know, I want to ask her out on a date

I’ve sent you a PM dude

Pentecost wrote: »
    I’ve sent you a PM dude

It must have getting lost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Big E implying he's hurt and out for a bit.

https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/1116412245226000384?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shame. I knew he shouldn't have done the splits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just watching now, main event was spoiled on me by the BBC.

Those saying hold it over 2 days, I don’t think WWE would want that production cost. Paying everyone twice

• Advertisement
Advertisement