Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy school bags

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As a teacher myself at second level I think teachers can often forget the weight of books and copies. We have iPads. Two years later we had to bring in a ban on A4 hardback copies as certain teachers were insitting that students had two of them (homework and notes). If you multiply that by even half their subjects that’s a really bloody heavy bag. I make a point of one copy, don’t mind what type so long as it’s there every week. Manuscript too for music but that’s super light and necessary. Everything else is on the iPad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Which is why most secondary schools have lockers.

Still have to carry books to and from home. Also the lockers can be the other sided of the class. So you end up not bothering with them, as there isn't time to go to the locker and back between classes.

We've tried using the eBooks but not had much success with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Be nice if they had more double classes. Thats less books.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Haven't seen anyone mention it so throwing this out there. Are the straps set properly? I see a lot of kids with straps stretched out instead of tighter into their body. If the straps are set properly the weight is much less a burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

beauf wrote: »
    Be nice if they had more double classes. Thats less books.

You wouldn't be saying that if it was you that had to sit through back to back double classes. Ah it's so easy to forget once you become a parent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

cnocbui wrote: »
    Way too small.

Highly doubt it, these bags can hold a lot more than it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'm a teacher and have kids that no matter what I say refuse to take books out of their bag that they don't need that night or ever at home. The kids each have a basket that goes under the chair each night with what they don't need that night. Not the teachers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I'm a teacher and have kids that no matter what I say refuse to take books out of their bag that they don't need that night or ever at home. The kids each have a basket that goes under the chair each night with what they don't need that night. Not the teachers fault.
    I initially taught this was the problem and I said it to him to leave books on the desk when coming home,it was only after speaking so his teacher that it turns out to a school wide rule.
    Now the teacher did seem sympathetic and she told us to bring it to the principals attention but sure that got us no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

It’s probably a little hard for an 8 year old to look at his homework list and assess what books he doesn’t need. And then remember to pack them the following day when he does need a particular book.
    Asking PTA sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

our kids school requests them to bring plastic boxes in at the start of the year .. they are kept under their desks ... they only bring home the books they need for homework .. the boxes are under their chairs/desk during the day and at the end of the day the kids put them on the table to allow the floor to be cleaned

• Advertisement
Advertisement