Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New android box can't connect to WiFi. Connects to hotspot however

Options
  • 23-01-2019 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi

My new android box (android 7.1 nougat) can't connect to WiFi. Sometimes the box connects but says connected no Internet. Other times the box just says obtaining IP address. An incorrect password will tell me credentials are incorrect. Correct credentials lead to other symptoms above.

However android box connects without problems when I hotspot my phone

On the router I've changed encryption options from aes to allow both aes/trip and from wpa2 to allow both wpa/wpa2 and some bandwidth option from 20ghz to 20/40ghz

Only other thing I can thing of is using static as opposed to DHCP. But I've never done this and not sure how too. I've an idea of subnets and idea of concept. But I doubt this is even the issue anyway.? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Hi Allycavs,

Couple of things to check are enabling upnp. You can also whitelist that device which adds it to the DMZ. Basically means you give it a pass through your firewall.

You can also lower the firewall settings on your router.

Try those and see does it work. If that does let it work i would put the firewall settings back to their original setting and see how you can let the android box connect through it.

(you can also leave hte firewall settings at this lower setting but this is not recommended)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

Thanks I think upnp is disabled. I hope that is it. I will try this . Other devices can connect so I doubt it's whitelisting/ firewall issue

IM pretty sure no firewall policies are set up but I will try these too
    adaephon wrote: »
    Hi Allycavs,

Couple of things to check are enabling upnp. You can also whitelist that device which adds it to the DMZ. Basically means you give it a pass through your firewall.

Try those and see does it work. If that does let it work i would put the firewall settings back to their original setting and see how you can let the android box connect through it.

(you can also leave hte firewall settings at this lower setting but this is not recommended)

Hi so the only way the android box will connect to router is if I set 802.11 mode to 802.11b only. But this gives awful download speeds. Would you have any ideas?
    Hi Allycavs,

allycavs wrote: »
    Hi so the only way the android box will connect to router is if I set 802.11 mode to 802.11b only. But this gives awful download speeds. Would you have any ideas?

Wow b only?? Thats weird, its one of the older standards.

Couple of standard things to try are bringing it physically closer to try it in the same room.

Move or unplug any other electronics in between or around both box and router. Sounds crazy but even try a different hdmi cable if you have them around. A damaged one can bleed at a frequency that disturbs 2.4ghz 802.11g,n,ac and b, so i do t think it is this but could be a factor.

Couple of standard things to try are bringing it physically closer to try it in the same room.

Move or unplug any other electronics in between or around both box and router. Sounds crazy but even try a different hdmi cable if you have them around. A damaged one can bleed at a frequency that disturbs 2.4ghz 802.11g,n,ac and b, so i do t think it is this but could be a factor.

Also maybe try it in a neighbours house. See if its the android box or your router

• Advertisement

Ok I will check connection/speeds on my mobilehotspot and at a neighbors. I put it next to router so as to use ethernet cable but ideally I want to use android box in different room to router.

allycavs wrote: »
    Ok I will check connection/speeds on my mobilehotspot and at a neighbors. I put it next to router so as to use ethernet cable but ideally I want to use android box in different room to router.

Sh yes was only to test if it was a proximity/interference thing. Didnt mean as a permanent fix

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

What ISP / Router do you have?

I had a similar issue described here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109199435

Advertisement