Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade for friend, ordering today

Options
  • 23-01-2019 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I helped my friend build his system roughly 5 years ago along side my own.

I recently upgraded mine and now he is looking to do the same. He wants to order today but is unwilling to spend more then 400 euro..

He got a Rx580 for Christmas which is a better card then mine, but his system still doesn't perform as well in games as mine.

Wants similar results to my upgrade.

I got a ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 gaming pro MoBo and 16gb (8gb x2) Corsaor vengeance 3000 MHz a few months back.

After pricing the same parts on amazon with Amazon prime the same parts as mine will cost 430 euro which I recommended he gets but he is admitted on it costing 400 max but hopefully less.. (Even though when I ordered back in October it cost nearly 70e more).

He wants to order today and asked of I could help him source parts to fit his budget without sacrificing too much performance. Has anyone come across any websites doing deals on the components mentioned above or know of any similar performing but cheaper parts I could suggest?

He isn't going to be overclocking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Out of interest, what is he currently running? It's possible there are upgrades to his current system which might be a cheaper option.

If you wanted to drop the CPU down to the previous gen Ryzen, it is currently on sale and provides the same upgrade path: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-1600X-Desktop-CPU/dp/B06XKWT7GD/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1548237764&sr=1-1&keywords=ryzen+5+1600x

8gb of RAM is plenty for the time being, especially for gaming... though I see a really good deal here on 2x8gb of corsair RAM: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK8GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0143UM4TC/ref=sr_1_13?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1548238061&sr=1-13&keywords=8gb%2Bddr4&th=1
    This is the 2x4gb option (still cheaper): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK8GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0123ZBPDA/ref=sr_1_13?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1548238061&sr=1-13&keywords=8gb%2Bddr4&th=1
    Also a sale here on 2x4gb: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Predator-HX432C16PB3K2-DDR4-Black/dp/B01GCWQ80K/ref=sr_1_17?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1548238206&sr=1-17&keywords=2x4gb+ddr4+3000mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Fx 8350, 8gb ddr3. Gigabyte board, can't remember the model off the top of my head but it allows overclocking.

He uses his PC for editing as he is doing a part time course so he really wants the 16gb but if he got a kit of x2 4gb would it matter much down the line if he added another x2 kit?

Thank you very much for the response. I will suggests it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Order from CCL:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£144.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£93.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£102.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £341.95
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-23 10:59 GMT+0000

Should be €392 if my conversion is right.

Interesting, haven't heard of that site before? They reliable? I tend to stick with Amazon personally sense any issues I've had in the past with orders have been rectified smoothly.

Up to my friend though, I'm sure he doesn't care off what site as long as they are known to be trustworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you want to keep the cost minimal, get a Ryzen 1600X, B450M + 8GB DDR4 3000mhz in 2x4GB configuration.

Huge upgrade on the FX-8350 which is a horrible processor for games.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say fx-8350 is horrible, dated yes but I was happy enough with mine for nearly 5 years. We got the black editions I believe which had a turbo overclock built in.

How much better is the 2600 over the 1600X?

Thank you all for your suggestion 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

If you want to keep the cost minimal, get a Ryzen 1600X, B450M + 8GB DDR4 3000mhz in 2x4GB configuration.

Huge upgrade on the FX-8350 which is a horrible processor for games.

Will also need to factor in a CPU cooler with the 1600x. Most brands have support for the AM4 socket now. But be sure to check when your ordering, as a bracket might have to be requested from the manufacturer.

We have the same cooler, cooler master hyper evo. All I had to do was order a new bracket for 5e. Didn't need to buy a new cooler at all.

Edit:
    So what's the better option.
    Go with the 1600x or go with 4gb x2 ram and add another x2 down the line?

What about motherboards, any savings of be had with choosing a different brand etc? As I've mentioned, he won't be overclocking.

killanena wrote: »
    I wouldn't say fx-8350 is horrible, dated yes but I was happy enough with mine for nearly 5 years. We got the black editions I believe which had a turbo overclock built in.

How much better is the 2600 over the 1600X?

Thank you all for your suggestion 

The lowly Ryzen 3-1200 beats the FX-8350, and that's a 4core/4thread CPU.

The 1600X usually overclocks to 3.9-4.0GHz, while 2600 is near-guaranteed to hit 4.2GHz (as well as having XFR 2.0 for essentially auto-overclock) This is in addition to some IPC improvements, and much-improved support for faster RAM.

CCL are verified good. I would trust them along with OverclockersUK, Scan, CaseKing & AquaTuning.

Regarding motherboards, refer to the B450/X470 VRM Tier list:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9uc6bi/am4_b450x470_vrm_tier_list/

xda4pmf92pw11.png

If you have an old AM3+ stock cooler it will work with the 1600X also.

Not sure what you're asking about the ram? It has to be either 2x8 or 4x2, ideally 3000mhz, but a single stick of 8 will hurt performance.

The 1600X and 2600 at stock would be very similar.

Board wise, if he's not overclocking, it really comes down to what he expects from a board. There is nothing wrong with the €70 boards, unless they are lacking something you actually want. I'd say in this case you'd want a B450M with 4 ram banks anyway.

• Advertisement

Not sure what you're asking about the ram? It has to be either 2x8 or 4x2, a single stick of 8 will hurt performance.

As in can he use 2x4gb sticks and add another 2 sticks of 4gb down the line? Will this cause issues or noticeable performance hit?

That'll be fine. Again though it's important for Ryzen to have fast ram, there will be a hit using say 2400mhz v 3000mhz. But as long as it's matched in pairs, even that wouldn't be a huge deal in the overall scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Haven't had any bad feedback here about CCL I think. 8gb of RAM would get him by for the most part, but you are right, video editing can be very memory intensive. The price of that 16gb kit on CCL is tempting to throw the extra cash at.

You can just go for a cheaper board. This is smaller, so has 4 Sata connectors instead of 6. A few less pci-e slots. Otherwise will perform the same.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-B450M-DS3H-S-ATA-Socket/dp/B07FKNM8FQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1548246527&sr=1-1&keywords=B450+atx

Will that MoBo work out of the box with a 2600? Or will I have to update? I don't know anyone with an older ryzen CPU that I could borrow so I don't want to run into that problem :)

killanena wrote: »
    Will that MoBo work out of the box with a 2600? Or will I have to update? I don't know anyone with an older ryzen CPU that I could borrow so I don't want to run into that problem :)

It's a B450 chipset so will work with 2600 out-the-box.

And as per the tier list, it's in the lower-end, and has no VRM cooling.
    Decent, but I'd advise an extra tenner for MSI B450M GAMING PLUS

Ok thank you everyone for the replies.

We are about to order but would like any last second input before we submit.

Going for:

MSI B450M
    Ryzen 5 2600
    HyperX Predator 4GBx2 DDR4 3200 MHz

Total:
    £297.33 on amazon with free express delivery directly to his address thanks to my prime account.
    or
    £300.88 on CCL with free shipping (Havent checked if free shipping includes Ireland, if not then the additional charge of parcel motel on top of this total)

So I think we'll go with Amazon.

Using Revolt currency converter for amazons total = €341.59 compared to amazons conversion €360.58 so another 20 euro saved there :)

Edit: And one last question, he has 650watt power supply. I have 750watt so didn't actually think of this myself but is 650watt enough for the above with a RX580?

A good 450-500W PSU is enough for RX 580, AMD & Nvidia just over-spec their recommended PSUs because they know most people have junk :pac:

Good :) Order already submitted to meet deadline for a hopefully earlier dispatch.

We both have a week holidays booked off work next week and plan to do some old school LAN gaming. So hopefully it all arrives for him before that. Knowing him he would blame his lack of FPS the reason why I'll trash him, now he should have no excuses.

Thank you again all. Helpful as ever :)

Advertisement