Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA: Check your receipts with Supervalu!

Options
  • 23-01-2019 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I've had numerous issues with Supervalu incorrectly charging me for items that were marked as discounted over the years... this is pretty standard for me and I always have to check my receipt EVERY time I go there (I never have to do this with Aldi for example)

but latest issue takes the biscuit...

I bought several items yesterday and the total came to €61.62.
    There were a few items in the order that qualified for discounts like "2 for €3" etc.
    I naturally assumed that these discounts were taken into account when the final bill of €61.62 came up, but I did feel the figure was a bit higher than I'd estimated in my head as I was picking up items.

Turns out the discounts were NOT applied, even though they were listed on the receipt.

e.g. my receipt was like

Item 1 - €10
    Item 2 - €10
    Item 3 - €10
    Item 4 - €10
    2 for €3 - -1

Total: €40
    (should have been €39 in this case)

so in the instance yesterday I should have clawed back about €3 in discounts... not an awfully large amount and easy to miss when looking at the total.
    But if this has been going on for several months that's possibly a nice bit of change that I'm due back.

I'm sure the majority haven't bothered to check this, or possibly don't even keep receipts, so are probably unaware of such glitches that could warrant a nice refund.

Now, not only do I need to check I've been charged correctly for items, I also need to do a tot up of the total to ensure all discounts are in place... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

And (in case anyone is wondering) the reason I go there is it's the closest store to me that I can pop up to quickly. Next store would be a good 30 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Super Valu drives me batty with this shyte constantly.

It happens me almost every time i go in there.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Not sure about anyone else but I always check receipts and have a rough idea of the total before I get to the till

That's what made me check the receipt twice as I had a good idea that my total was under €60 so was a bit surprised when it was over, which is the reason I checked it by actually totting up the figures.

My first check was just to confirm that all prices on the receipt were correct, which they were, so I left the shop just assuming I'd added it all up wrong in my head.

It was only later I decided out of curiosity to tot up the figures and noticed the negative numbers (for money back) weren't factoring in the final total.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Might be an idea to raise the issue with head office

I emailed Supervalu and was told just to go to the shop... but I'm going to check all my other recent receipts first.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I bought 2 items there last week on offer for half price.
    But on the receipt I was charged for a seperate offer of 2 for 5euro when actually the half price cost x2 was around 4.50.

• Advertisement

I use NFC to pay for everything EXCEPT @ Supervalu as 8/10 times I have to go back to the till to reclaim something that was mis-charged and it's just less hassle to get back coin than mess up my debit card balance sheet with lots of small credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I always add everything up as I go on my phone while shopping. No nasty surprises when I get to the till and if there is I can point it out and get it rectified there and then.

killanena wrote: »
    I always add everything up as I go on my phone while shopping. No nasty surprises when I get to the till and if there is I can point it out and get it rectified there and then.

shame that one has to go through such hassle really. Never have to do this in any other shop so why Supervalu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I have heard this for years about SuperValu
    There is an obvious thing going on there

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Sir Oxman wrote:
    I have heard this for years about SuperValu There is an obvious thing going on there

Yes my aunt who has shopped there for years(as it is only supermarket in town) has found numerous discrepancies as she shops on a tight budget and knows the price of everything she buys. They always reimburse but it really shouldn't happen and especially on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

mrcheez wrote: »
    shame that one has to go through such hassle really. Never have to do this in any other shop so why Supervalu?

Not just super value, I do it in all shops if getting more then just a handful of items. Systems have errors, technology is only great when it works :) No fault of the sales assistant, they are trained to go by exactly what it says on screen.

Work in retail myself and from time to time these glitches do happen and it doesnt necessarily happen in all shops owned by the company at once, can be an isolated incident.

Recently enough we had a problem in my store with 500ml bottles of diet coke, they were scanning for 45 euro each at the tills and we were the only site out of 300+ with this issue. Easily fixed with a quick call to I.T but you wouldnt know of these issues until either spotted by a sales assistant or pointed out by a customer.

Retail systems can have glitches and bugs like any other piece of software. So its just worth checking your receipt or tallying up your total on your phone as you go.

I don't carry a phone around with me at all times.. particularly when I'm carrying two baskets, so I'll just stick to totting them up in my head and have a "rough" idea of the total as I did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The majority of Supervalu stores are independently owned so it makes no sense whatsoever to issue a blanket warning along the lines of: 'check your recipts with Supervalu'.

It's like saying: 'I went to an (unnamed branch of) McDonalds/KFC recently and the toilets were flithy so I'd recommend you go elsewhere'.

All stores make mistakes with barcodes and special offers and you have to be on alert for the latter. It can sometimes work in your favor, if you are vigilant. I once queried the price of a large box of Aerial Automatic washing powder in Dunnes Cornelscourt, they admitted the mistake (shelf price was lower than what I was charged at the checkout) and gave it to me for free.

coylemj wrote: »
    The majority of Supervalu stores are independently owned so it makes no sense whatsoever to issue a blanket warning along the lines of: 'check your recipts with Supervalu'.

The thing is, I've noticed it in several Supervalu stores.

I think maybe ONCE in Tesco it happened where an item was mispriced, but since their days of "refunding twice the difference" they've been more vigilant.

Happened only once in Aldi... never in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I avoid SV at all costs and this being one of the reasons, it infuriating and the staff in my local are exceptionally rude. I also find that majority of their ‘special offers’ are for stuff thats just out of date and is something that really bugs me!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

Happened me loads of times in SV too (multiple stores). Only a few times in Dunnes and Tesco. Usually due to multiple item discounts eg 2 for €x or 4 for €y. Aldi/Lidl don't have these offers, they just go for straight line price reductions so maybe that's why they don't seem to have this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Regular occurrence in Supervalu HSQ - Multibuy offers not applying or items simply scanning at completely different prices than stated on the shelf

Pain in the arse, only shop there as a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I don’t go to SuperValu anymore because of this , I swear every time I went to the till at least one thing would scan the wrong price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Reading this brings back memories of my dad complaining about SV doing this around 15 years ago!

Couldn't agree more, OP. Super Valu is, by some distance, the worst supermarket in Ireland for charging a higher price than the advertised price. At this stage, like others here, I'm convinced it's an actual policy. I've written about my experiences of this issue here and here. The reality is that the sort of people who regularly shop in Super Valu are older people who put more value on community and wouldn't want to ruin relationships in the usually small town area by bringing it up. "Genuine mistakes" and all that. Meanwhile, younger people who end up shopping there are much more acutely aware of the gouging going on against such an easy and vulnerable target market. Contemptible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Same thread topic pops up every few months - and it's always Supervalu is the culprit!

mrcheez wrote: »
    I use NFC to pay for everything EXCEPT @ Supervalu as 8/10 times I have to go back to the till to reclaim something that was mis-charged and it's just less hassle to get back coin than mess up my debit card balance sheet with lots of small credits.

Girl at the SV till ****ed up my card payment a couple of years ago and debited it twice - can't remember amount but it was small enough - say €14.98 (the x.98 is accurate). Manager called and he says he can't refund me immediately and needs to balance the till first (like I was lying or something) - and to call back later in the day. Called back later, waited for ages, and turns out no manager around. Explained situation and told to come back next day and my money will be in office. Come back next day, again wait ages, and they hand me an envelope with my refunded cash - the exact €14.98 amount; the tight bastards didn't even round it up the 2 cents to the even euro amount! Obviously it's only 2 cents but it really stuck in my craw that I was left chasing after them for a couple of days due to their mistake and yet they to go to the bother of giving me a load of coins in case I 'profited' by 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Same thread topic pops up every few months - and it's always Supervalu is the culprit!

Girl at the SV till ****ed up my card payment a couple of years ago and debited it twice - can't remember amount but it was small enough - say €14.98 (the x.98 is accurate). Manager called and he says he can't refund me immediately and needs to balance the till first (like I was lying or something) - and to call back later in the day. Called back later, waited for ages, and turns out no manager around. Explained situation and told to come back next day and my money will be in office. Come back next day, again wait ages, and they hand me an envelope with my refunded cash - the exact €14.98 amount; the tight bastards didn't even round it up the 2 cents to the even euro amount! Obviously it's only 2 cents but it really stuck in my craw that I was left chasing after them for a couple of days due to their mistake and yet they to go to the bother of giving me a load of coins in case I 'profited' by 2 cents!

Im even enraged reading this, pure ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

coylemj wrote: »

All stores make mistakes with barcodes and special offers and you have to be on alert for the latter. It can sometimes work in your favor, if you are vigilant. I once queried the price of a large box of Aerial Automatic washing powder in Dunnes Cornelscourt, they admitted the mistake (shelf price was lower than what I was charged at the checkout) and gave it to me for free.

Would concur with this post. I shop in Dunnes/Tesco/Aldi/Lidl.

Dunnes & Tesco frequently have 2 for 1 type offers out on the shelves ....and more often than you would think, these offers are not updated correctly at the till.

Something else I noticed too.....is they can often put special offer labels in the wrong space on the shelves. You mistakenly buy something that you thought was reduced only to have to go back to the shelf and realize it was a slightly different product or size of product that is actually reduced.
    Not sure if this is done on purpose or not....but I have my suspicions.

Lidl & Aldi seem to be more 'straight up' about pricing. Maybe it's the no nonsense German approach!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I much prefer the Aldi/Lidl "this is the product, this is the price" model.

Tesco and Dunnes constant dicking around with special offers, discounts, and multiple variants of each product makes shopping a painful ordeal and they often don't apply the discounts correctly (I don't know if this is deliberate, but the more complex the pricing the more likely human error is to occur).

Aldi and Lidl do have special deals (discounts off normal price of hand soap as an example)... just that they've never had a problem applying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

We've stopped shopping in the local centra because of similar problems. It was getting beyond a joke, buy 3 random items and you would be overcharged on 1 of them and it would usually be by a couple of euro.

Advertisement