Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round Bale Feeders

• 23-01-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

What are you using for feeding silage bales outside ? Are the ewes wasting much ?. Have any of you used the plastic Bell feeders from JFC ?

I have a roofed feeder but unless I leave the plastic on the bale they will waste nearly as much as they eat.

I need to buy another feeder soon so would appreciate your advice . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I've tried all sorts of feeders for feeding ewes outside and ended up coming up with a design and got a local lad to make me these last yr. Put a couple sheets of tin on the roof and they keep the bale bone dry.

The only downside is that you would want to be seeing the sheep every day as feeding good dry silage it won't split and fall to the sides like in a ring feeder, so you'll need to pull the centre out.
    There's the tinniest amount of waste with them as the mesh prevents much of it falling through. The height and cross members means there's never a ewe or a hogget standing on top of the silage which i found a great bugbear with all other feeders, these are ideal for ewes, hoggets and ewes with lambs too.

He's just finished converting another couple of cradle feeders i had into them last night, but i'm not getting them galvanised.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I've tried all sorts of feeders for feeding ewes outside and ended up coming up with a design and got a local lad to make me these last yr. Put a couple sheets of tin on the roof and they keep the bale bone dry.

The only downside is that you would want to be seeing the sheep every day as feeding good dry silage it won't split and fall to the sides like in a ring feeder, so you'll need to pull the centre out.
    There's the tinniest amount of waste with them as the mesh prevents much of it falling through. The height and cross members means there's never a ewe or a hogget standing on top of the silage which i found a great bugbear with all other feeders, these are ideal for ewes, hoggets and ewes with lambs too.

He's just finished converting another couple of cradle feeders i had into them last night, but i'm not getting them galvanised.

Thanks for the photos and info . Great looking feeders . Where is he based and has he any in stock ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I have the same style feeder bought off lockharte eng sligo.....

Things i would advise:

I have a sheated roof and sides, apart from the front door bit, this is brilliant because now for example i have the feeder in a field with 3 rams they will take weeks to eat a bale of hay so at least there is no way for the bale to get wet

The issue with mine is that the spaces are too wide so i would go with the mesh floor and would even advise smaller spaces on the front and back panell

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

roosky wrote: »
    I have the same style feeder bought off lockharte eng sligo.....

Things i would advise:

I have a sheated roof and sides, apart from the front door bit, this is brilliant because now for example i have the feeder in a field with 3 rams they will take weeks to eat a bale of hay so at least there is no way for the bale to get wet

The issue with mine is that the spaces are too wide so i would go with the mesh floor and would even advise smaller spaces on the front and back panell

Thanks for the info . Sounds like good advice

Advertisement