Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Benefit and salary

Options
  • 23-01-2019 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am entitled to half my salary for maternity benefit. Employer also says that the state benefit should be paid to them. Can someone explain to me how this is fair or how I am supposed to survive on half salary less my state benefit? this means I would substantially drop down to only a few hundred every 2 weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

MILF wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am entitled to half my salary for maternity benefit. Employer also says that the state benefit should be paid to them. Can someone explain to me how this is fair or how I am supposed to survive on half salary less my state benefit? this means I would substantially drop down to only a few hundred every 2 weeks.

What does your contract say about maternity leave/benefit/pay?
    If your employer didn’t do paid maternity leave at all then your maternity benefit would be €240 per week. Unless your employer is paying you less then that then I’d say you’ve no grounds for complaint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

MILF wrote: »
    Hi all,
    how I am supposed to survive on half salary less my state benefit? .

Think you might be a bit confused here. It's not half your salary LESS your State benefit. It's half your salary, with that payment INCLUDING your State benefit.

State benefit would go to your employer and the employer would then use it towards the cost of paying you half salary. For example, if you normally earn €600 per week, your maternity leave pay would be €300. This would be made up of €240 State benefit plus €60 from the employer.

Might seem harsh, but bear in mind that many employers - particularly smaller companies - don't do any 'top-up' payment at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is state benefit that much? Half pay for the full term is good. MrsTeal is a senior NHS nurse and they don't get that, last few months were completely unpaid iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

theteal wrote: »
    Is state benefit that much? Half pay for the full term is good. MrsTeal is a senior NHS nurse and they don't get that, last few months were completely unpaid iirc.

State maternity benefit is €240 per week for 26 weeks. Mother can take a further 16 weeks at her own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Ho Op

your employer would be perfectly entitled to not top up the state payment up. IE you would receive state maternity rate only.

But they have added the benefit of topping this up, to half your salary, which is above their minimum statutory obligation. Its a good thing.

Would you like your full salary paid? probably, but bear in mind when your gone they have to pay someone else to do your work, if they hire maternity cover. so for them, its expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

Ho Op

your employer would be perfectly entitled to not top up the state payment up. IE you would receive state maternity rate only.

But they have added the benefit of topping this up, to half your salary, which is above their minimum statutory obligation. Its a good thing.

Would you like your full salary paid? probably, but bear in mind when your gone they have to pay someone else to do your work, if they hire maternity cover. so for them, its expensive.

I know I'm not getting replaced. I guess I mistook the information. Went into panic mode! Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Duffryman wrote: »
    Think you might be a bit confused here. It's not half your salary LESS your State benefit. It's half your salary, with that payment INCLUDING your State benefit.

State benefit would go to your employer and the employer would then use it towards the cost of paying you half salary. For example, if you normally earn €600 per week, your maternity leave pay would be €300. This would be made up of €240 State benefit plus €60 from the employer.

Might seem harsh, but bear in mind that many employers - particularly smaller companies - don't do any 'top-up' payment at all.

I'd love to be in your position! My boss pays zero. You should know this from your contract though! If he/she paid half, eg 300 AND you got the 240 you'd essentially be on full pay. I'm pretty sure if your boss pays half or full the state goes to them, in all cases.

Advertisement