Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching practise primary school teaching

Options
  • 23-01-2019 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

T. P didn't go too well had two inspectors and it went fine but I also had both floats who critised everything. Has anyone had to repeat T. P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Spud40 wrote:
    T. P didn't go too well had two inspectors and it went fine but I also had both floats who critised everything. Has anyone had to repeat T. P

What do you mean "I also had both floats who criticised everything" ?

Teaching practice is either pass or fail as far as I know, if you failed they'd have to tell you there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Have you actually got your mark yet or just assuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Cash_Q wrote: »
    What do you mean "I also had both floats who criticised everything" ?

Teaching practice is either pass or fail as far as I know, if you failed they'd have to tell you there and then.

Not all are. Some are graded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What training college are you with? And which TP is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Not all are. Some are graded.

If it was a fail wouldn't they have to tell OP though? Seems ridiculous not to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What's a float?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

A float, sometimes called a grade moderator, is an addition inspector (outside of your assigned ones). They keep an eye on the overall standard and are rumoured to visit those who are borderline on a grade if there is uncertainty over what should be awarded. They visit a sample of all students too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What's a float?

A float is a higher level supervisor normally called if a student is at risk of failing or getting a very high mark in order to give a second opinion out of fairness to the student.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What kind of things were you pulled up on ?Yes, you can fail , yes you can be made to repeat .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It went fine in the inspectors opinion or in your opinion. Yes you can fail TP and you would have to repeat it if you fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ainegrainne

Floaters aren't supposed to influence your grade - they are there more to assess the college. Your assigned inspectors are the ones who influence your grade, or at least that was the way it went when I did it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Floaters aren't supposed to influence your grade - they are there more to assess the college. Your assigned inspectors are the ones who influence your grade, or at least that was the way it went when I did it a few years ago.

if the float is former lecturer in the college and employed by the college how can he/she fairly assess the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ainegrainne

I have no idea (nor do I care at this stage!) but this is what we were told at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Not necessarily true. Floats can be the final say if someone is getting a high A or a fail. On one TP my inspector told me I was having a float sent down the next day to see if I was deserving of an A. Similarly, the head of school placement was sent to a school to assess whether one lad in our year was going to fail, and he told him in the lmheas that'd he give him a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Angliru wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. Floats can be the final say if someone is getting a high A or a fail. On one TP my inspector told me I was having a float sent down the next day to see if I was deserving of an A. Similarly, the head of school placement was sent to a school to assess whether one lad in our year was going to fail, and he told him in the lmheas that'd he give him a pass.

That's fairly unprofessional (if not downright stupid) of a college to be indicating what grade you might be getting. Especially if you're borderline.
    I don't think that students should be told by their supervisor that they would be requesting a moderator. All the student should be told is that from time to time they do moderations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We were never told a float was coming, they just landed, the same with TP supervisors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

That's fairly unprofessional (if not downright stupid) of a college to be indicating what grade you might be getting. Especially if you're borderline.
    I don't think that students should be told by their supervisor that they would be requesting a moderator. All the student should be told is that from time to time they do moderations.

Seemed to be the case across the board. Lots of friends told the same thing...xyz from the college being sent down to see if you're getting an A. Ideally it should be random and I got floated randomly as part of the quota but it was nice to know in advance that someone was coming down to assess me. There's far too much pressure put on student teachers to perform for a couple of hours and have it basically seen as your stat sheet as a teacher. It is the same thing with the dip, two random inspections in 100 days and those inspections might last a couple of hours each. It just seems like a flawed system and God forbid someone stunned from the inspector showing up and being nervous and it affecting their teaching. That's the main benefit of Droichead, at least a fellow staff member can inspect you several times if needs be and it won't be such a massive shock. Teachers are only human too.

Angliru wrote: »
    Seemed to be the case across the board. Lots of friends told the same thing...xyz from the college being sent down to see if you're getting an A. Ideally it should be random and I got floated randomly as part of the quota but it was nice to know in advance that someone was coming down to assess me. There's far too much pressure put on student teachers to perform for a couple of hours and have it basically seen as your stat sheet as a teacher. It is the same thing with the dip, two random inspections in 100 days and those inspections might last a couple of hours each. It just seems like a flawed system and God forbid someone stunned from the inspector showing up and being nervous and it affecting their teaching. That's the main benefit of Droichead, at least a fellow staff member can inspect you several times if needs be and it won't be such a massive shock. Teachers are only human too.

Welcome to teaching , WSE / subject inspections and “ drive bys” all work the same way . And those reports get published online for anyone to see .

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Cash_Q wrote: »
    If it was a fail wouldn't they have to tell OP though? Seems ridiculous not to

I had to repeat and was never told on the spot. Depends on the college.

Advertisement