Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite broadband Cork

Options
  • 23-01-2019 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Basically my mother wants to get Broadband installed in her house,problem is she got a bit of a renovation 10 years ago and the phone line was taken out.(she didnt want a land line at the time so told builder it didnt matter if it was taken out).
    So fast forward and grand kids have arrived and want to watch ipads and netflix etc,is satillite broad band the best and only option?,she has a smart tv too.
    Id appreciate some opinions please,location suburb on southside of the city.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If she doesn't want a phone line installed, Virgin Media might be an option (broadband via cable), depending on the area. It's the fastest option available in most places, and possibly cheaper than satellite options too.

The Switcher site should help; just need to ignore any of the phone-line options (can't see a way of filtering them out).

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Getting a phone line installed into a house isn't a big deal. Was in the same boat a few years ago when signing up to Vodafone and they covered the cost of installing the new phone line as far as I can remember. In my case it was only a matter of running a new line from the pole straight outside my house.

Doubt satellite broadband would be sufficient for Netflix streaming in terms of speed or download limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Ok something to think about,cheers

if you dont want wires going into the house then something like three broadband would be your only option.

Most providers need to wire in.

I was in east cork for a while and had Airwave, decent speed, think about 15mb, they install a tiny receiver on the chimney and wire into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

There should be a few fixed wireless providers like imagine, ripplecom etc. Be aware contention is usually an issue at peak times - they install a small antenna outside your house and route a cable to their router inside. . Satellite is expensive, has very low download caps and no good for streaming AFAIK it's the last port of call if there no ther option.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

morgana wrote: »
    There should be a few fixed wireless providers like imagine, ripplecom etc. Be aware contention is usually an issue at peak times - they install a small antenna outside your house and route a cable to their router inside. . Satellite is expensive, has very low download caps and no good for streaming AFAIK it's the last port of call if there no ther option.

You are spot on.

Advertisement