Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orange/red together before green for go

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

elperello wrote: »
    Yes we can!!
    There is no reason why Irish drivers could not adapt to amber/green signals.

Yes there is: I saw 3 cars jump a red in Galway today. The colour of the lights won't change that behaviour.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes there is: I saw 3 cars jump a red in Galway today. The colour of the lights won't change that behaviour.

We have a problem with people jumping lights due to lack of enforcement, but we have relatively little DUI. The USA does not have a problem with people jumping lights due to enforcement, but DUI is still a huge problem there. If we enforced all our current laws most issues would be resolved without the need to introduce new laws to be ignored.

I remember years ago when the government made a big noise about changing the law on it being illegal to be drunk in public to it being illegal to be drunk in public. Newstalk interviewed the senior Garda in Dublin in Temple Bar and the interviewer asked where all the drunks walking around going to be arrested, the answer was no.

Our government is good at introducing new laws to fix problems, but never enforces them so the problem remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think we should get rid of amber altogether.

Get rid of red as well . Noone pays a blind bit of notice to it anyway.

When the lights are out at complex junctions, people tend to be a lot more cautious, and overall traffic seems to generally flow better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

grogi wrote: »
    Solid amber is stop. Flashing amber is go.

Yield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Solid amber is stop. Flashing amber is go.
    And this, boys and girls, is why it would be a mistake to introduce more signals that rely on the amber light. Even the ones we already have are not well-understood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Victor wrote: »
    The drivers are meant to yield to the pedestrians, but in reality, many do a 'rolling stop'. Combined with inattentive driving, pedestrians are killed.

Which is correct. Sorry, do you mean braking or accelerating?

Been in Florida loads of times and the cops over there will pull in an instant any driver who does not come to a complete stop at the line before proceeding right on a red, seen just the odd lad do it ahead of me and twice from nowhere a police car came and pulled them over...even in empty roads you have to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No
    Yield.

Anywhere in civilised world, where Vienna Convention was ratified, flashing amber has a well defined meaning:
    A single amber flashing light or two amber lights flashing alternately shall
    mean that drivers may proceed but shall do so with particular care.

Ireland unfortunately didn't. But our traffic signals are usually imported where they do follow the Vienna Convention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Anywhere in civilised world, where Vienna Convention was ratified, flashing amber has a well defined meaning:

Ireland unfortunately didn't. But our traffic signals are usually imported where they do follow the Vienna Convention.

Makes no odds, there's no traffic light here for "go" either. Flashing ambers are to be handled as a yield. It doesn't matter much what people do anywhere else.

No
    Makes no odds, there's no traffic light here for "go" either. Flashing ambers are to be handled as a yield. It doesn't matter much what people do anywhere else.

If your 'yield' means 'proceed with caution', sure.

Nobody should ever just bluntly go, even on green - that 'go' was just a mind shortcut, in response to @Del2005 comment that flashing amber means stop.

• Advertisement

If your 'yield' means 'proceed with caution', sure.

Nobody should ever just bluntly go, even on green - that 'go' was just a mind shortcut, in response to @Del2005 comment that flashing amber means stop.

How many teeth do you plan on pulling out? Yield is a reference to right of way.

No
    How many teeth do you plan on pulling out? Yield is a reference to right of way.

Flashing amber does not indicate right of way in any way.

It solely means that the traffic light cannot be used to determine it, but also does not prevent one from going further.

Flashing amber does not indicate right of way in any way.

It solely means that the traffic light cannot be used to determine it, but also does not prevent one from going further.

If you approach a flashing amber, it tells you to yield right of way to anything beyond it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Amber/red is only marginally more efficient than our system. The reason being that all red time is longer in the Amber/red system than the way we do things here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There's the same number of seconds in a day irrespective of the colour combinations of traffic light sequences.

Given how frequently I find myself having to pause before taking off at a green light for the last two (or sometimes three) stragglers sailing through the red light from the other direction I wouldn't see a combined red + amber helping much.

If anything addind red + amber would probably make things worse as some quick off the line drivers will treat it as go and inevitably meet with the drivers from the other direction who treat amber as 'go quick before the lights change' and the resultant collision completely block the junction for everybody for the next hour.

Advertisement