Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living social

Options
  • 23-01-2019 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hello. I think I'm putting this in the right forum. Does anyone know about the legalities of living socials fine print? I bought two vouchers off them for a 3 day holiday. On their fine print, it says the outbound flight leaving Dublin will go between 7am and 2.15pm. I clicked redeem on my vouchers and the company providing the holiday got in contact.
    They told me that the outbound flight would be at 18:30 and the return flight would be at 06:50. This goes against the stated time for the outbound flight on living social and it goes against the total hours for a 3 day holiday which states: "Minimum 60 hours in destination with three-night break."
    The company then said they could book me on a 14:30 flight but it would cost 50 euros each extra. At this stage, I said I didn't want anything to do with the deal, I wanted a refund. They said I must go back to living social.
    Does anyone know what steps I should take now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

<SNIP>

Contact living social might be a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You should probably contact living social and ask for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Sorry, I should have said that I've contacted living social. First by email, outlining what I've said and then by phone. On the phone, the woman I was talking to said that whatever decision is made on this case, a refund wouldn't be given, only credit. She said because I redeemed the voucher, it was up to the company I was dealing with to agree to refund. Living social would contact them and ask.
    She said she couldn't comment on the flight time issues but seemed to be using the fine print to try to excuse the company. Basically, I got the impression that I wouldn't be getting a favourable decision from living social on this matter and it wasn't their problem.

The reason I've posted here is to ask can they legally pass this off as the companies issue seen as the deal doesn't match the fine print listed on living socials website?

Could you see the flight times before you redeemed the voucher?

Keep pushing living social for the refund, failing that contact your bank for a charge back.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    Could you see the flight times before you redeemed the voucher?

Keep pushing living social for the refund, failing that contact your bank for a charge back.

No. When I bought the vouchers it said you click redeem and then the providers will be in contact. I redeemed them and then the company was in contact the next morning (yesterday). Living social said it will take up to 48 hours for them to reply. Are charge backs easy to do?

Perifect wrote: »
    No. When I bought the vouchers it said you click redeem and then the providers will be in contact. I redeemed them and then the company was in contact the next morning (yesterday). Living social said it will take up to 48 hours for them to reply. Are charge backs easy to do?

Then keep at living social, I’d be surprised if they didn’t refund but highlight that in order to see the flight times you had to redeem the voucher. This was done on the presumption that the flight times would match the fine print. Tell LS to sort it out with the vendor but you want a refund.

Chargebacks are easy, contact your bank and ask them to do it. It’s not guaranteed you’ll get your money back but it is another possible avenue to pursue if LS don’t refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Perifect wrote: »

Yes, they promised "Minimum 60 hours in destination with three-night break", keep pushing them, if they offer less than 60 hours, that means "item not as described", no probs with chargeback

amcalester wrote: »
    Then keep at living social, I’d be surprised if they didn’t refund but highlight that in order to see the flight times you had to redeem the voucher. This was done on the presumption that the flight times would match the fine print. Tell LS to sort it out with the vendor but you want a refund.

Chargebacks are easy, contact your bank and ask them to do it. It’s not guaranteed you’ll get your money back but it is another possible avenue to pursue if LS don’t refund.

Ok, thanks. I'll keep at them. Should I ring my bank anyway to start this just in case?

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Yes, they promised "Minimum 60 hours in destination with three-night break", keep pushing them, if they offer less than 60 hours, that means "item not as described", no probs with chargeback

Ok, great. Thanks.

• Advertisement

So I rang my bank. They said to send in any detail I have to get the ball rolling. So even if living social agree to refund me, I can just cancel my claim then. Thanks for your help. Feeling much better now.

Just a question on this. The deal offered was over the phone, I have no written proof of it. Will that make a difference when asking for a chargeback? Also, will the company in questions bad reputation count for anything? They have a huge amount of bad reviews online. (Wish I looked at them beforehand obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

I am also having problems with Living Social........Keep getting fobbed off with a 'we will reply in 72 hours' email
    I bought a Oral B electric toothbrush heads on June 10 and they have not been delivered to my address. The merchant claims the goods were despatched and they have not engaged with me since.
    Living Social are 'investigating' and I have a case number but NO progress

What is my best option here?
    Should i go to the credit card company (6 weeks later now) and ask them to reverse the transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I am also having problems with Living Social........Keep getting fobbed off with a 'we will reply in 72 hours' email
    I bought a Oral B electric toothbrush heads on June 10 and they have not been delivered to my address. The merchant claims the goods were despatched and they have not engaged with me since.
    Living Social are 'investigating' and I have a case number but NO progress

What is my best option here?
    Should i go to the credit card company (6 weeks later now) and ask them to reverse the transaction?

Yep. They've had their chance - 6 weeks isn't a a reasonable time to be trying to sort it out. Time to get the chargeback ball rolling.

Advertisement