Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains fuse, where to buy?

Options
  • 23-01-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Can I walk into an electrical store and buy a mains fuse or do the ESB Networks only carry them? I can buy them online but I'd have to wait a few days for delivery from the UK.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Any electrical wholesaler stock them. If the main fuse on the ESB side has blown then only the ESB are permitted to replace it. This fuse unit is sealed to prevent tampering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

2011 wrote: »
    Any electrical wholesaler stock them. If the main fuse on the ESB side has blown then only the ESB are permitted to replace it. This fuse unit is sealed to prevent tampering.

What sort of ramifications are there for tampering? My sparks submitted a wiring cert since before New Year's but Safe Electric and ESB Networks have left me waiting far far too long. I have noticed timber floors warping in the property due to dampness and the cold, I was thinking to insert my own fuse to get some power and thus heat on and remove it after for the ESB to finally reconnect the property officially. Otherwise I'll have to rent a Diesel Generator and get the electrican to temporarily wire it to the Boiler to heat the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Sounds like the cert went in late or not at all, ESB aren't that slow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My advice would be to connect a small generator and not to even consider messing about with the ESB side of things. In theory they can permanently refuse to connect you if you tamper with seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get gas heaters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

ted1 wrote: »
    Get gas heaters.

That'll give you moisture problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

We ran a temporary cable from the neighbours place next door and the electrician came out to wire it up to the boiler, pump etc, so got the oil running now. Apparently the latest update is I won't get connected to the grid until mid-February, talk about a bureaucratic nightmare of BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Have you got your MPRN number from ESB Networks yet

Advertisement