Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Degree NUIM - Maths and Irish (Secondary Teaching)

Options
  • 23-01-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Considering all the CAO options.... Would this subject combination be good choice or would Maths + Physics be better? I can do Maths and Irish through Arts and then the PME but can do the concurrent Maths and Science (I'd pick physics) in Education route also. I enjoy maths, Irish and physics. Other alternative, I suppose is to do Arts and decide on the masters later which could be unrelated to Education altogether. I know the climate is bad but what subject combination would give me the best hope? Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I can't comment on Physics but Irish is in seriously hot demand and that's unlikely to change any time soon.

You'll find full, 22-hour jobs in the East/South East with ease if you're an Irish teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Noveight wrote: »
    I can't comment on Physics but Irish is in seriously hot demand and that's unlikely to change any time soon.

You'll find full, 22-hour jobs in the East/South East with ease if you're an Irish teacher.

That's really encouraging, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Maths is also in serious demand in the East. A former colleague had this combination and very reluctantly taught 22 hours of Irish for nearly 20 years due to Irish shortages. He was given 22 hours of Maths this year. Irish teachers were successfully recruited for once but no Maths teachers to be found. There will be good opportunities in teaching with this combination.

Maths is also in serious demand in the East. A former colleague had this combination and very reluctantly taught 22 hours of Irish for nearly 20 years due to Irish shortages. He was given 22 hours of Maths this year. Irish teachers were successfully recruited for once but no Maths teachers to be found. There will be good opportunities in teaching with this combination.

Thanks so much. Is there any permanency at all or is it fixed term contracts only. And is 22 hrs the max you can work, like is this good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thanks so much. Is there any permanency at all or is it fixed term contracts only. And is 22 hrs the max you can work, like is this good?

It is unusual to land a permanent job straight up but with Maths and Irish you will be in very high demand.
    22 hours is the max, which is actually reduced to 21h 20m in the classroom.

• Advertisement

It is unusual to land a permanent job straight up but with Maths and Irish you will be in very high demand.
    22 hours is the max, which is actually reduced to 21h 20m in the classroom.

I plan to contact NUIM tomorrow but does Nua Gaeilge sound like the right arts subject?

I plan to contact NUIM tomorrow but does Nua Gaeilge sound like the right arts subject?

OK, so after contacting NUIM, above works as an option tto teach Irish and Maths with PME at SECONDARY but is a long way round.... As I excel in Irish, primary teaching is also a good entry point option for me and I could do this directly with NUIM also. Just torn between the two. At the moment either/or are choices 3 + 4 on my CAO, following Actuarial at UCD + DCU. I'm just so torn whether I can commit to choices 1+2 (actuarial) and trying to decide between secondary and primary teaching. Anyone see primary as a better option? Sorry for what must sound like really poor questions but am finding answers all the time and I feel it helps. Am half thinking, put primary 1sr, defer, think it over and then decide. I dunno, really HATE this. Thanks for your imput and patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

As a secondary teacher primary seems like a tonne of paperwork and being all things to the same children every day!. Some people might like that possibility of shaping young minds though, I've met teachers who've swopped sides in both directions and both said they are much happier having swopped ....so it depends on you personality too. They're very different animals.

Job wise you might have a bit more mobility to get an Irish job whereas primary isn't as clear cut location wise.
    For both: if you've loads of jobs going in Dublin there's a good reason... youll be crucified for rent. So think about the long term of affording a house / living at home / going abroad.

I reckon if you had Irish and Maths you'll wind up teaching one of those subjects exclusively.

Advertisement