If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-fi package enquiry

Options
  • 23-01-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all - I enquired about bookshelf speakers before Christmas, but am thinking of upgrading my entire kit, such as it is, for under €500.00 if possible
    This won't be for a month or two, but I just want to get my ducks in a row if I can.
    I currently mostly use a Panasonic SCPMX2 mini system with old Sony speakers from a 90's stack system as my setup, so my goal is to hear an improvement on that. 
    I'd like an amp with a phono connection and preferably a front iPod input so was looking at the Cambridge Audio AM 10 or the Onkyo A9010.
    I'd also like a basic but decent CD player to go with either amp.
    On speakers, something like the Q Acoustics 3020's, Wharfedale Diamond 220's or Mission LX2 (and whatever cable you can suggest) 

If you've alternative suggestions to get the same results, please suggest away!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Lamneth1 wrote: »
    Hi all - I enquired about bookshelf speakers before Christmas, but am thinking of upgrading my entire kit, such as it is, for under €500.00 if possible
    This won't be for a month or two, but I just want to get my ducks in a row if I can.
    I currently mostly use a Panasonic SCPMX2 mini system with old Sony speakers from a 90's stack system as my setup, so my goal is to hear an improvement on that. 
    I'd like an amp with a phono connection and preferably a front iPod input so was looking at the Cambridge Audio AM 10 or the Onkyo A9010.
    I'd also like a basic but decent CD player to go with either amp.
    On speakers, something like the Q Acoustics 3020's, Wharfedale Diamond 220's or Mission LX2 (and whatever cable you can suggest) 

If you've alternative suggestions to get the same results, please suggest away!
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi Lamneth1.

Thanks for coming back to us.

Here goes with some packages.

The A9010 is the amp to go for in the price bracket.
    Onkyo A9010 - Amp
    Onkyo C7030 - CD Player
    3020 - Speakers
    Speaker cable x4m
    Total - £455 or 535 Euro

As above but with LX2 - Total £480 or 565 Euro
    As above but with 220 - Total £444 or 523 Euro

Onkyo A9010 - Amp
    Cambridge CD5 - CD Player
    Mission LX2
    Speaker cable x4m
    Total - £415 or 489 Euro

As above but with 220's - Total £379 or 446 Euro
    As above but with 3020 - Total £390 or 459 Euro

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lamneth1

Thanks for this Kenny - pretty much where I was hoping you'd hit price-wise.
    Would this include delivery to Co. Meath?
    Just two things - is there a huge difference in sound quality between the rival CD players?
    A step up from the Panasonic (which, in fairness, is grand) is what I'm looking for.
    Also - which speakers would favour a musical collection that primarily prog, Dad rock and film soundtracks?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Lamneth1,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The Onkyo A9010 / C7030 / QA3020 is by far the better system in a few ways, of course the appearance and cohesion of the system as a complete Onkyo system - but the 3020 will sounds far more suited to prog rock than the LX2.

If it was me I would 200% go for the 1st system option!

Happy to include delivery to the Royal County ;) 

And not a step up from the Pana ( which is actually an excellent unit) - it's a different universe :D

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for this Kenny - pretty much where I was hoping you'd hit price-wise.
    Would this include delivery to Co. Meath?
    Just two things - is there a huge difference in sound quality between the rival CD players?
    A step up from the Panasonic (which, in fairness, is grand) is what I'm looking for.
    Also - which speakers would favour a musical collection that primarily prog, Dad rock and film soundtracks?
    Hey Lamneth.

There would be a little difference between the two CD players but either would be an improvement on your current Panasonic. The Onkyo is built better and just feels more substantial. 

If it was me I would go for either the LX2's or the 220's. For me they have a bit more oomph over the 3020's. 

Kenny / John - thanks for the advice, both of you.
    As I said, I won't be pushing the button for a month or two, but I just wanted to know I could get what I wanted within the price bracket.

I'm in Belfast next month - might spin in if time permits.
    Will get back to you either way when I'm ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

No problem Lamneth1 - that's what we are here for :)

If you are heading up to Belfast drop us a line before you travel and we will set the options up for you in our demo room and we may even attempt to poison you with some of George's drink that he calls coffee :eek:

Thanks again and always drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Kenny / John - thanks for the advice, both of you.
    As I said, I won't be pushing the button for a month or two, but I just wanted to know I could get what I wanted within the price bracket.

I'm in Belfast next month - might spin in if time permits.
    Will get back to you either way when I'm ready to go.
    No problem at all Lamneth1.

Please do call in and see us. We always love to meet our customers :D

Will definitely drop in gents - thanks for all the help!

Will definitely drop in gents - thanks for all the help!
    Your welcome :D

Kenny / John - just noticed some of the items on this have gone up on price on the shop site since I inquired.
    I'd said originally that I wouldn't be able to order for a month or two.
    Any chance of holding the prices as above?

• Advertisement

Kenny / John - just noticed some of the items on this have gone up on price on the shop site since I inquired.
    I'd said originally that I wouldn't be able to order for a month or two.
    Any chance of holding the prices as above?
    Hi Lamneth1,

Our normal price hold is for 7 days however on Hifi we should be able to hold these prices for you if you are making the trip to see us, we just can't guarantee stock for this long!

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Thanks David - I will be in Belfast this month, so I'll spin in and discuss

Thanks David - I will be in Belfast this month, so I'll spin in and discuss
    No worries Lamneth1.

Drop in and see us and we will see what we can do at that time for you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.