Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi keeps dropping

Options
  • 23-01-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Wifi keeps dropping on my laptop. Its working perfectly for Netflix on 2 tvs and working on 2 phones. Never had this problem before, could always stream/download multiple shows at once.

Laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 110s, less than a year old.

I have tried googling this but I'm a complete technophobe so any help (explained in dummy terms) greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Which ISP are you with?
    I've seen this happen with Sky. They have crappy modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Terry wrote: »
    Which ISP are you with?
    I've seen this happen with Sky. They have crappy modems.

Virgin. It's been fine up until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Can you define dropping please. Does your internet just stop working and WiFi remain connected or does the WiFi actually disconnect?

Often cases like this are due to WiFi interference (a neighbours router, baby monitors etc.) you can install Wifi Analyzer to view the channels all of the current present networks are using. By default, the Virgin router detects a channel to use automatically so your first step can be a simple restart of it (off for 10 seconds, back on). If it still remains the same, then check for other nearby networks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

advertsfox wrote: »
    Can you define dropping please. Does your internet just stop working and WiFi remain connected or does the WiFi actually disconnect?

Often cases like this are due to WiFi interference (a neighbours router, baby monitors etc.) you can install Wifi Analyzer to view the channels all of the current present networks are using. By default, the Virgin router detects a channel to use automatically so your first step can be a simple restart of it (off for 10 seconds, back on). If it still remains the same, then check for other nearby networks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

It just stops working on the laptop. Have checked to see what devices are connected to the wifi and they all belong to us, 2 phones, 2 tellys and the laptop. Only problem is with the laptop

A yellow warning sign displays over the wifi display at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, I have to disconnect and reconnect every time. It's not much of an issue while browsing but downloading and streaming is a pain.

Ok so that answers is, the yellow exclamation means you are connected but unable to reach the internet. More often than not, this is a configuration issue on the machine (such as manually assigned IP address / DNS details) or a 3rd party security program that has a firewall and has either its settings too strong / high or is simply mis-configured. What security software is on your machine? Can you try disabling it (should be an option in the tray icon for whatever app you may have).

Alternatively, press the WIN key + R to get the run box and type in "ncpa.cpl" and press Ok.

Right click your Wireless Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) > Tick "Obtain IP Address Automatically" > OK > OK.

How_to_configure_TCPIP_Properties_of_the_Wireless_Connection_on_my_computer_Windows_XP_Vista_7_8_Mac_image020.jpg

• Advertisement

Wow, tyvm for that. I'm at work atm but will try that when I'm home tonight and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

If your settings are different you should try that configuration. But that is the default setting so if you already have that configuration it wont help your issue.

i suggest if that doesn't work, make one of 2 changes and see if that helps.

1st - change DNS to google's DNS. check use the following DNS and set 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers. If that doesnt work, i'd leave it that way as IMO its better.
    https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

2nd change id suggest is to uncheck IPV6 and apply that change.
    https://help.my-private-network.co.uk/support/solutions/articles/6000158531-how-to-disable-ipv6-on-windows-10

don't make both changes at the same time - so you know which works, or doesnt work.

Ok. @advertsfox, my settings were exactly as you've described above. Tyvm for the help, appreciated

@xterminator, I've changed my settings to your first suggestion, no issues so far. So now we wait

Thanks for the help, hopefully that's it sorted.

None of the above is working. Still have the yellow warning sign over the wifi

kerry37 wrote: »
    None of the above is working. Still have the yellow warning sign over the wifi
    So it's a security software issue, what AV or firewall software have you got installed?

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    So it's a security software issue, what AV or firewall software have you got installed?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's called bytefence. Im out at the mo but will check tomorrow.

I do appreciate the help. Ty.

Cool well disable it and see how she runs. Also try ping out to make sure you are fully online (WIN + R, type "cmd" > press OK > type "ping 8.8.8.8"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Doesn't sound like a software issue. More than likely its down to the cheap wifi module in those laptops.
    Best solution is to buy a usb wifi dongle. look for a dual band 600mps one for around €5 from ebay or aliexpress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

when you get the yellow triangle, and you right click and run network diagnostics (assuming win 8/10) what are the results?
    What is the layout of your house and the distance from the wireless access point? Are there many walls etc between ?

Recently i bought one of these for my sons bedroom, as wifi was patchy in that area of the house. i wouldn't buy one for the sake of it, but if you do have poor coverage, or wish to run a lan cable from power socket this would be a solution.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057949124

another thing you can try is install an app on your phone like NetSpot for Android or Wifi Analyzer. Scan what channel your wifi is on compared to the neighbours. It would be no harm to find a channel thats uncongested and move to that - if there is significant overlap. changing channels is something i'd recommend you call the ISP to talk you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

Hi OP. I had a similar issue with Virgin.
    What happened was my computer/devices were connected to different WIFI networks at the same time from same device.
    Chances are, if you have a SuperHub 3 modem that this might be the case. I had to split my SSID's in two, and problem is... solved until I buy a real router.

Try the following:

1 - Check if you have the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz Wifi network with the same name
    If that's the case, try splitting them into 2 different networks with different names (eg: Kerry37 - Wifi 2.4 and Kerry37 - Wifi 5)
    connect all appliances to the same network, either 2.4 or 5.

2 - Never connect all appliances to both wifi's, has to be either one or the other, just to test.
    I'd try to connect first the laptop, then the tv's/phones/etc.

Just post here if that helps.

Advertisement