Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asus x551m keeps going into sleep mode

Options
  • 23-01-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Just at random intervals.
    I've used speedfan to see if the temperature is too high, but the highest it gets is the high 50's when checking for and installing updates. I've seen laptops run smoothly at over 60c with no problems. I can't feel any heat coming from anywhere either.

A couple of things that are wrong with it: The battery is dead. It won't charge any more.
    The HDD is running slow, and seems to be on its way out.

I've experienced battery problems before on a Dell. It wouldn't start up without the battery. However, it ran fine after putting the battery back in.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Terry wrote: »
    Just at random intervals.
    I've used speedfan to see if the temperature is too high, but the highest it gets is the high 50's when checking for and installing updates. I've seen laptops run smoothly at over 60c with no problems. I can't feel any heat coming from anywhere either.

A couple of things that are wrong with it: The battery is dead. It won't charge any more.
    The HDD is running slow, and seems to be on its way out.

I've experienced battery problems before on a Dell. It wouldn't start up without the battery. However, it ran fine after putting the battery back in.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Overheating does not put computer to "sleep" - it shuts it down to prevent potential damage.

See what power plan/settings you are on. Set to "high performance" and see if it makes change

Critical(as very low) battery put computer to hibernation - default setting 5% - to prevent potential data loss. Again, these settings can be modified in power options.

If battery hold little charge and power cord disconnects for a second, computer might sense "critical" level on battery and hibernate. Ensure constant power supply and/or good working battery.

Laptop should operate on mains power cord even without battery - possible charger adapter failure/ connector on motherboard damage/failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Okay, here's the deal: I reinstalled Windows 8.1 on it, and now it's not shutting down.

According to the owner, the battery used to charge properly. Now it's telling me that the battery is charging, but it's staying at 0%.
    Also, I can't get the updates to install.

Terry wrote: »
    Okay, here's the deal: I reinstalled Windows 8.1 on it, and now it's not shutting down.
    Describe laptop behaviour on shutdown. Any messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There were no messages. It just turned off, and that was it.
    I looked around the internet for answers, but nothing. One suggested checking the error reports, but I didn't find anything there either.

Misunderstood your previous post - thought its after installing W8.1 you not able to shutdown :D (apparently it also happens)
    So now you have no "shutdown" issue, but battery not charging(or at least displaying status incorrectly)?
    Might try this to Check Your Mobile Device's Battery Health

• Advertisement
Advertisement