Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jenny greene live gig feedback or reviews

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Hey just saw this and was hoping I would get a chance somewhere to give feedback. Went to her gig in the button factory she did with the other fella from fm104 and it was absolutely brutal. She was barely DJing herself, mostly the other fella while she was on stage taking photos, he played the same beat for 3 hours, they played right here right now at midnight which was the only highlight. God it was brutal. Never again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I'd say it'd be great craic if you were in the, right 'frame of mind' though...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

I did a couple of gigs with Jenny Greene as a live musician playing along with her set (no orchestra, just me) a couple of years ago when the whole orchestra thing was starting - at those pub gigs she usually played commercial house with a few 90s classics.

That sort of house music for the most part isn't my cup of tea bar some of the 90s stuff but to be fair she really got the crowd going. That sort of DJ night is all about trying to force a big peak constantly every few songs, wouldn't be your 'usual' house night where it can happen organically at any stage depending on how the crowd connect with the music and each other. Constant peaks and big drops seems to be what the average punter wants as opposed to your more discerning traditional clubber. Each to their own I guess.

Anyway, it's like anything - if you're really not into heavy metal and you go to a heavy metal night... chance are you might not enjoy it (shame on you!). Have a few drinks and a dance and ignore any eejits nearby and you'll probably have a good night. Go in cynical and you won't.

She's WELL able to mix, despite what some people say or think on here. I DJ a bit myself (hey, check out my mixes that I post here! - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057485912 ) and her transitions were pretty flawless for the few gigs I did with her. Tempo for the whole night was largely the same, but then it generally is with those sort of tunes. She definitely wasn't just 'pressing play', I'd know. I played with other DJs at the same venue who had pre-mixed four or five tunes as one song-file and hit play and 15 mins pass and them acting like they're mixing giving it the big one.

Saw her at Picnic with the RTE Orchestra and I didn't like it personally, felt more like the Orchestra playing karaoke to her pre-programmed tunes and her waffling on the mic gee-ing up the crowd. Then again, it's an orchestra so you can't 'jam' with them, they're working off very specific sheet music. I just wasn't feeling it for the half hour I was there for.

On a completely different note, she's a really lovely, genuine person. She didn't have to really talk to me 'cos I got the feeling the venue were trying to impose a musician to do the gig with her but she made time to send on set samples in advance, say hi when I got there a bit into her set and chat after even though she had to get on the road home at a late hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

poor mans pete tong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I'd say it'd be great craic if you were in the, right 'frame of mind' though...

I was. That’ll tell you how bad it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

I see Jenny Greene has just announced she is leaving 2FM.

Please god it means the end of her touring with the RTE Orchestra after this summer!!

Still by far the worst event I have ever been too!

Advertisement