Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Enhancer

Options
  • 24-01-2019 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I came across an American (I think) cake recipe which included the ingredient 'food enhancer'. I've never heard of it. Anyone know what it is and what I could substitute for it please? Or, do I even need it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Would it be MSG? If so, no you don’t need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks, I'll forget about it instantly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love my MSG, but would not bother with it in a cake.

BTW It can be got in asian supermarkets. I think my local tesco might even have it in their "asian supermarket" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5833-the-truth-about-cake-enhancer
    It's something that improves the texture of the cake - seemingly it's only really useful if you're planning on still having cake in a few days time, and definitely not necessary. It's a mixture of additives commonly used in that American fail-safe, the cake mix. I think it's basically an emulsifier.
    I've read up on it a bit and the general advice seems to be that you add a tablespoon of the cake enhancer powder for each cup of flour used (i.e. you're messing with the dry:wet proportions, rather than omitting a tablespoon of flour to make up for adding a tablespoon of the powder).
    So it shouldn't be a problem to just follow the recipe and ignore that ingredient.

Advertisement