Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

LOL. 9K views is "doing well". There are kids livestreaming fortnite that get multiples of that.

Yes it's true, there are also 'Cam Girls' who get over 100k live viewers per show. I recently read about one young girl who sits in her bedroom making faces at the camera and earns 150k a week!
    If Gemma got naked in front of the camera she would probably increase her viewership 100 fold but it's a political show and that will always come second place to entertainment. It's still early days for Gemma, she's building her profile on YouTube and the progress thus far has been decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yes it's true, there are also 'Cam Girls' who get over 100k live viewers per show. I recently read about one young girl who sits in her bedroom making faces at the camera and earns 150k a week!
    If Gemma got naked in front of the camera she would probably increase her viewership 100 fold but it's a political show and that will always come second place to entertainment. It's still early days for Gemma, she's building her profile on YouTube and the progress thus far has been decent.
    Would you honestly classify it as that?
    Would you classify info wars as a political show?

gmisk wrote: »
    Succeeds in what exactly?
    Taking down unicorns?
    I'm sure you're aware that Unicorns are being used to teach the prevailing Gender ideology to children in some schools. This is what Gemma has a problem with. You may believe her to be a bigot.. That's fine. But she's not railing against mythical unicorns but the fact that they are being used to explain Gender beliefs to kids.
    If you haven't heard of this then maybe Google 'Gender Unicorns' to find out more.

At what?

A getting her message out there and providing an alternative platform which I think Ireland desperately needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Come on now. Let’s not completely lose the run of ourselves here.

• Advertisement

Would you honestly classify it as that?
    Would you classify info wars as a political show?

Yes I would, well perhaps politics mixed with social issues. Info wars is the same (just because info wars is not exactly on the sane end of the spectrum doesn't mean its not about politics)
    Although I'm not overly familiar with Info Wars I watched a bit during the 2016 election but not since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How about saying it's politics with a heavy dose of fiction that masquerades as politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Grayson wrote: »
    How about saying it's politics with a heavy dose of fiction that masquerades as politics.

Or a whole lot of fiction of the particularly crazy kind with a little bit of politics thrown in.

Or a whole lot of fiction of the particularly crazy kind with a little bit of politics thrown in.

Politically themed fiction with some fantasy/sci-fi thrown in?

If that's what you think then that's fine. I don't agree (mostly)
    I wonder though if her detractors are actually watching her full shows?
    I notice there are very few down votes on YouTube, frankly I thought there would be a lot more. This tells me that perhaps people may not be actually watching but rather are relying on second hand information about her.
    Personally I always like to listen to a message myself whether I agree with it or not so I can fully grasp it and dismiss it with confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There's a simple and very obvious answer to this 'dilemma'

Get the churches out of the schools we pay for, let them run their own schools without taxpayer funding if they want.

How Rory Quinn's repatriation program wasn't followed up with is a mystery the be.
    The churches were given the land in trust to provide education when the state couldn't/wouldn't. The state then paid for the construction of the schools and the salaries of the staff for the following 8 decades, the church are still holding on to the small amount of power the have with their filthy gurbby hands for dear life but should be told to **** off and have the lands turned back over to the state.

To each their own I suppose....perhaps religion helps people with some of those issues. I think a lot of people still have a degree of belief in a higher power but have little to no faith in the RC church and others, lets be honest a lot of their behaviour hasnt been exactly christian like.

But I would take ICT from my point of view....

That 2nd paragraph has gone full tinfoil hat brigade.....
    but I for one welcome our new luciferian worshipping overlords.

This is an interesting one. I used to dismiss this as complete nonsense and I suppose I still do. But the argument is that those (whoever they are) at the top believe in Lucifer. Another way of putting it is a number of years ago a conspiracy minded person explained to me that he didn't believe in Lucifer but the elites do. That's the difference.
    Sounds crazy right?
    Well do you believe that Witches are real and that the power of Witchcraft is real?
    I certainly don't but Minister for Children Katherine Zapoone does and is in fact a self described Witch.
    She has written academic papers which confirm her genuine belief in Witchcraft.
    So the idea that politicians, high-ups or the 'elite' have crazy beliefs is not so far fetched really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm sure you're aware that Unicorns are being used to teach the prevailing Gender ideology to children in some schools. This is what Gemma has a problem with. You may believe her to be a bigot.. That's fine. But she's not railing against mythical unicorns but the fact that they are being used to explain Gender beliefs to kids.
    If you haven't heard of this then maybe Google 'Gender Unicorns' to find out more.

Here's the thing.

When i was young, i thought I was a freak. I thought I was sick, that there was something wrong with me. Nobody talked about being gay, nobody every even mentioned it to me as a child. I was raised under the assumption I was straight, with my parents having raised me that way, my family was all straight, I never learned about 'gay stuff' until I was in secondary school, and even then it was all just whispered words and the odd thing on tv (inevitably that had a terrible ending for whatever gay characters there were).

I'm 36 now and gay. I was always gay. I was never straight. I didn't learn about gay issues at an impressionable time and it took me until I was 21 to come out to myself and my family. I'm now a reasonably well adjusted, married woman with a good job, a good education, and I'm a fairly responsible adult with various responsibilities. But being forced all all the straight education in the world didn't make me straight. It's the same with gender.

But there was a time in my teens when I was tempted to kill myself. I was tempted to do that because I was terrified I was the only person like me in the world, and CERTAINLY I was the only one in my little home town. i had to be, nobody talked about it. So I had some really dark dark times then. If someone in my school days had been like "hey, some people are gay that's fine" then my life in my teens would have been dramatically different. And safer.

Which is why I will never ever ever stand by and let someone say 'we shouldn't teach kids about this stuff' because right now, whether YOU like it or not there's a little 7 year old freaking out because they think they're a freak, a weirdo, sick. Do you want their mental health on your conscience?

I know what it is and i think something that can help more easily explain gender isnt a bad thing, I am also not sure how widely it is used in ireland.

Do you agree with Gemma that tea towels from TK Maxx with unicorns are pushing a transgender agenda?

Or if unicorns appear anywhere are they doing this?
    https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1100159633656815616

Yes I do believe her to be a deranged bigot, not just on this instance you just have to look at all the dangerous anti vaxx rubbish she also spouts for example.

This is an interesting one. I used to dismiss this as complete nonsense and I suppose I still do. But the argument is that those (whoever they are) at the top believe in Lucifer. Another way of putting it is a number of years ago a conspiracy minded person explained to me that he didn't believe in Lucifer but the elites do. That's the difference.
    Sounds crazy right?
    Well do you believe that Witches are real and that the power of Witchcraft is real?
    I certainly don't but Minister for Children Katherine Zapoone does and is in fact a self described Witch.
    So the idea that politicians, high-ups or the 'elite' have crazy beliefs is not so far fetched really.

no more crazy than believing in the catholic church.

Sounds crazy right?
    It does........because it is.

If katherine zappone or anyone else is into that mumbo jumbo and considers herself/himself a white witch no skin of my nose. Its no less strange tbh to me than being a devout catholic and plenty of them in power.
    Can I ask why you singled out Katherine Zappone, is it because she is a lesbian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

HAIL SATAN

Here's the thing.

When i was young, i thought I was a freak. I thought I was sick, that there was something wrong with me. Nobody talked about being gay, nobody every even mentioned it to me as a child. I was raised under the assumption I was straight, with my parents having raised me that way, my family was all straight, I never learned about 'gay stuff' until I was in secondary school, and even then it was all just whispered words and the odd thing on tv (inevitably that had a terrible ending for whatever gay characters there were).

I'm 36 now and gay. I was always gay. I was never straight. I didn't learn about gay issues at an impressionable time and it took me until I was 21 to come out to myself and my family. I'm now a reasonably well adjusted, married woman with a good job, a good education, and I'm a fairly responsible adult with various responsibilities. But being forced all all the straight education in the world didn't make me straight. It's the same with gender.

But there was a time in my teens when I was tempted to kill myself. I was tempted to do that because I was terrified I was the only person like me in the world, and CERTAINLY I was the only one in my little home town. i had to be, nobody talked about it. So I had some really dark dark times then. If someone in my school days had been like "hey, some people are gay that's fine" then my life in my teens would have been dramatically different. And safer.

Which is why I will never ever ever stand by and let someone say 'we shouldn't teach kids about this stuff' because right now, whether YOU like it or not there's a little 7 year old freaking out because they think they're a freak, a weirdo, sick. Do you want their mental health on your conscience?

I obviously don't want anyone to suffer psychologically but I also don't want highly impressionable children to mutilate their bodies with surgery and hormones, destroy their genitals, permanently alter their bodily chemistry only to deeply regret it later and ultimately commit suicide.
    There's a huge difference between being gay which involves no body or hormonal modification and the type of transgenderism which does.

no more crazy than believing in the catholic church.
    Yes and also Islam and Judaism. Would you agree that they are crazy beliefs?

If that's what you think then that's fine. I don't agree (mostly)
    I wonder though if her detractors are actually watching her full shows?
    I notice there are very few down votes on YouTube, frankly I thought there would be a lot more. This tells me that perhaps people may not be actually watching but rather are relying on second hand information about her.
    Personally I always like to listen to a message myself whether I agree with it or not so I can fully grasp it and dismiss it with confidence.

I don't have time to watch her whole thing. I've seen clips and I do see her on twitter and the stuff she comes out with is crazy. It's proper conspiracy theory stuff.

It's a pity. Because we are a small country we don't have many large newspapers and it would be great to have another investigative journalist. the problem is that she's jumped the shark. When she starts posting stuff like this, you know she's lost it.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1100371974319161344

At this point she's her own worst enemy. No-one will ever take her seriously and for good reason too.

• Advertisement

they are. But they are on a much lower level of crazy than believing the world is controlled by a luciferian worshipping illuminati,

All religion is crazy and irrational. If it wasn't we'd be calling it science.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I think "Crazy" is a value judgement we do not need. Better for me is to identify their core teachings are unsubstantiated delusions. There are no reasons at this time on offer to think there is a god, a Satan, or magical witches or unicorns. Or that Jesus and Mo were anything other than entirely normal every day humans assuming they both existed at all.

One can not prove none of these things exist, but to operate under the illusion they do without a single piece of evidence that they do, is delusional really. Which is fine if you want to be deluded but I am unsure why we need to be indoctrinating children into the same delusions. At least when we tell children Transgender people exist, we have evidence that is actually true.

There is however reasons to think the feelings behind transgenderism are real and that people are genuinely suffering because of them. And if there are procedures and processes by which their well being can be improved, I am for that.

I am reading the text on that tweet above over and over and over and can not actually identify what triggered the Twitter user in question to become so offended by it. I am not seeing the "filth" in the text of the image. Could someone help me out there?

It does........because it is.

If katherine zappone or anyone else is into that mumbo jumbo and considers herself/himself a white witch no skin of my nose. Its no less strange tbh to me than being a devout catholic and plenty of them in power.
    Can I ask why you singled out Katherine Zappone, is it because she is a lesbian?

My point was that a poster mentioned Luciferian worshiping elites, another poster described that as bat**** and all I was saying was that it was not such a far fetched idea as even one of our own politicians holds a belief that most of us would consider crazy IE Zappone and witchcraft.
    Her sexuall orientation is neither here nor there I don't know why you would say that.

I think "Crazy" is a value judgement we do not need. Better for me is to identify their core teachings are unsubstantiated delusions. There are no reasons at this time on offer to think there is a god, a Satan, or magical witches or unicorns. Or that Jesus and Mo were anything other than entirely normal every day humans assuming they both existed at all.

One can not prove none of these things exist, but to operate under the illusion they do without a single piece of evidence that they do, is delusional really. Which is fine if you want to be deluded but I am unsure why we need to be indoctrinating children into the same delusions. At least when we tell children Transgender people exist, we have evidence that is actually true.

There is however reasons to think the feelings behind transgenderism are real and that people are genuinely suffering because of them. And if there are procedures and processes by which their well being can be improved, I am for that.

I am reading the text on that tweet above over and over and over and can not actually identify what triggered the Twitter user in question to become so offended by it. I am not seeing the "filth" in the text of the image. Could someone help me out there?

well its unicorns innit? You know, indoctrinating children into the gayness. Or something.

I obviously don't want anyone to suffer psychologically but I also don't want highly impressionable children to mutilate their bodies with surgery and hormones, destroy their genitals, permanently alter their bodily chemistry only to deeply regret it later and ultimately commit suicide.
    There's a huge difference between being gay which involves no body or hormonal modification and the type of transgenderism which does.

Ok, let's really get in to this.

Children CANNOT do these things legally in Ireland, without parental consent.

Anyone over the age of 18 can self declare their gender contrary to a birth certificate. A teenager who is aged 16-17 can do so but it is a much stricter process.

There is a 2-year wait to see an endocrinologist here in Ireland, in order to start medical transition, with starts with hormones. There are currently only TWO endocrinologists in Ireland working in the field of trans healthcare, for the estimated 1-2% of the population who are trans.

There are NO surgeons operating in Ireland who will perform genital surgery.

Significant research has been carried out by medical professionals, psychiatric professionals etc and the majority of these studies confirm that working with children who are gender variant in some way SAVES LIVES. Do yo know what the current rate of suicide is for trans youth? 78% of trans people have thought about committing suicide and 40% have attempted it. The reason most often given by trans people is because of the deep mental anguish experienced by being consistently misgendered and told, by people like you, that they are wrong. These number of trans people thinking about suicide etc AFTER transition reduces SIGNIFICANTLY and becomes more in line with the rest of society.

Please educate yourself on gender and trans issues and research before making wild assumptions the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Birneybau wrote: »
    HAIL SATAN

At least he killed less people than god.

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't have time to watch her whole thing. I've seen clips and I do see her on twitter and the stuff she comes out with is crazy. It's proper conspiracy theory stuff.

It's a pity. Because we are a small country we don't have many large newspapers and it would be great to have another investigative journalist. the problem is that she's jumped the shark. When she starts posting stuff like this, you know she's lost it.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1100371974319161344

At this point she's her own worst enemy. No-one will ever take her seriously and for good reason too.

Why is five years the magic number, do unicorns not like it?

Ipso wrote: »
    At least he killed less people than god.

There is only one reference in the bible of Satan killing anybody. And God ordered him to do it.

• Advertisement

Ok, let's really get in to this.

Children CANNOT do these things legally in Ireland, without parental consent.

Anyone over the age of 18 can self declare their gender contrary to a birth certificate. A teenager who is aged 16-17 can do so but it is a much stricter process.

There is a 2-year wait to see an endocrinologist here in Ireland, in order to start medical transition, with starts with hormones. There are currently only TWO endocrinologists in Ireland working in the field of trans healthcare, for the estimated 1-2% of the population who are trans.

There are NO surgeons operating in Ireland who will perform genital surgery.

Significant research has been carried out by medical professionals, psychiatric professionals etc and the majority of these studies confirm that working with children who are gender variant in some way SAVES LIVES. Do yo know what the current rate of suicide is for trans youth? 78% of trans people have thought about committing suicide and 40% have attempted it. The reason most often given by trans people is because of the deep mental anguish experienced by being consistently misgendered and told, by people like you, that they are wrong. These number of trans people thinking about suicide etc AFTER transition reduces SIGNIFICANTLY and becomes more in line with the rest of society.

Please educate yourself on gender and trans issues and research before making wild assumptions the issue.
    Some would say the suicide rate is so high because transitioning ultimately doesn't work.
    Even the experience of Jazz Jenning whos newly formed Vagina 'fell apart' soon after surgery shows that medical science is not quite ready for this yet.

I have to say I am loathe to continue this discussion as I feel if I express my genuine opinions on the subject I will get banned and I only joined the site yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This won't stop going through my head now...

Scrap the cap!

I have to say I am loathe to continue this discussion as I feel if I express my genuine opinions on the subject I will get banned and I only joined the site yesterday.

The site is a lot more permissive than people who get banned for genuine reasons would like to pretend. For example you have joined with a user name that is a clear play on labeling yourself with Antisemitism. Yet no one has rushed to ban you yet have they? Unless you are a re-reg and unless you conduct yourself very poorly I doubt you will get banned. So do not hide behind that as a dodge out of the conversation.

The site is a lot more permissive than people who get banned for genuine reasons would like to pretend. For example you have joined with a user name that is a clear play on labeling yourself with Antisemitism. Yet no one has rushed to ban you yet have they? Unless you are a re-reg and unless you conduct yourself very poorly I doubt you will get banned. So do not hide behind that as a dodge out of the conversation.
    My username was a joke which I now regret. I didn't realise you couldn't change it.
    Not a re reg just a long time lurker this is my first time to sign up.

But the victim complex, they’re being oppressed.

Some would say the suicide rate is so high because transitioning ultimately doesn't work.
    Even the experience of Jazz Jenning whos newly formed Vagina 'fell apart' soon after surgery shows that medical science is not quite ready for this yet.

Ok well let's just chill out on the hysterics, it didn't 'fall apart' she had a surgery complication like an awful lot of surgical procedures.

I'm fine to leave this subject, but it does say a lot that you're not willing to discuss the issue of transitioning - which is one of Gemma core issues at the moment - without the ability to do so in a calm and civilized manner.

• Advertisement

My username was a joke which I now regret. I didn't realise you couldn't change it. Not a re reg just a long time lurker this is my first time to sign up.

Then you are around long enough to know that people do not tend generally to get banned for their beliefs, but how they conduct themselves while expressing those beliefs. Of course THEY never see it that way, and play the "oppression and censorship" card when it happens.

But generally if people express even the most heinous position but do it thoughtfully and with some level of decorum, they do not even get infracted let alone banned.

Read the rules you signed up to when you joined. If you comply with them I would be surprised to see you banned. You will have to forgive us therefore if your withdrawal from the conversation under that narrative looks to us like a cop out.

Ok well let's just chill out on the hysterics, it didn't 'fall apart' she had a surgery complication like an awful lot of surgical procedures.

I'm fine to leave this subject, but it does say a lot that you're not willing to discuss the issue of transitioning - which is one of Gemma core issues at the moment - without the ability to do so in a calm and civilized manner.

I'm just going by what she herself said on Twitter "Even though my vagina falling apart was the hardest thing I ever"

I believe I was being calm and civilized I don't set out to deliberately insult or aggravate people.

I'm just going by what she herself said on Twitter "Even though my vagina falling apart was the hardest thing I ever"

I believe I was being calm and civilized I don't set out to deliberately insult or aggravate people.

but surely you knew she wasn't speaking literally?

These are US stats but still relevant
    • LGB youth seriously contemplate suicide at almost three times the rate of heterosexual youth.
    • LGB youth are almost five times as likely to have attempted suicide compared to heterosexual youth
    • In a national study, 40% of transgender adults reported having made a suicide attempt. 92% of these individuals reported having attempted suicide before the age of 25
    • LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.
    • 1 out of 6 students nationwide (grades 9–12) seriously considered suicide in the past year.
    • Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average

From here.

Children should not be subjected to state sponsored discrimination against gay teens. Going to a school where they are told that who they are is unnatural is wrong. It actually endangers them.

Well she's hardly going to go into details about surgery complications on her social media with character limits. Also, she's a reality TV star, completely aside from her transition she's obviously going to be trying to get exposure, so a shocking statement like that will get it more than a discreet 'I had some surgical complications but it's all fine now' will. How many other thousands and thousands of people have had completely smooth (as smooth as surgery can ever be) experiences with medically transitioning?

To be fair you were being civilized in your posts (even if some would find it pretty offensive that you're reducing gender and transitioning to genital 'mutilation'). However people don't get banned here for having problematic or anti-trans views. Not even close. So I had to make the assumption that you'd be vitriolic with it, in order to get banned. Especially banned from AH, which has a far looser vibe than other forums.

• Advertisement

Well she's hardly going to go into details about surgery complications on her social media with character limits. Also, she's a reality TV star, completely aside from her transition she's obviously going to be trying to get exposure, so a shocking statement like that will get it more than a discreet 'I had some surgical complications but it's all fine now' will. How many other thousands and thousands of people have had completely smooth (as smooth as surgery can ever be) experiences with medically transitioning?

To be fair you were being civilized in your posts (even if some would find it pretty offensive that you're reducing gender and transitioning to genital 'mutilation'). However people don't get banned here for having problematic or anti-trans views. Not even close. So I had to make the assumption that you'd be vitriolic with it, in order to get banned. Especially banned from AH, which has a far looser vibe than other forums.
    OK fair enough.

I can say then that if I hear my children are being taught or encouraged at school to explore gender identities then I will immediately remove them from school, teach then that I believe what they are being taught is morally wrong and I will search for alternative schooling.
    I realise this might greatly offend people but that's my position.

but surely you knew she wasn't speaking literally?

The point is that the procedure unfortunately did not go well. Even with the best of medical care.
    When I was young (in my late 30s now) the prevailing wisdom and what we were taught was to accept who you are and the body you were born with.

OK fair enough.

I can say then that if I hear my children are being taught or encouraged at school to explore gender identities then I will immediately remove them from school, teach then that I believe what they are being taught is morally wrong and I will search for alternative schooling.
    I realise this might greatly offend people but that's my position.

Well first of all, I don't think there are any plans to 'encourage children to explore gender identities', whatever that even means. Children may be taught that trans people exist (which is true) and that there are supports and systems in place for them. Nobody in a school is going to be like "hey, Jonny, are you SURE you're not really a girl? Are you really sure though???" That's utter nonsense.

I don't think it's offensive that you'd remove your children from a school because of that reason. I think it's damaging to your children, but what you do with your children is no business of mine. Just like I don't think it's the business of anyone else what trans children do - but for some reason Gemma and others seem to think it is.

I hope for their sakes, your kids aren't queer in any way, because it doesn't sound like they'd have much support from home.

The point is that the procedure unfortunately did not go well. Even with the best of medical care.
    When I was young (in my late 30s now) the prevailing wisdom and what we were taught was to accept who you are and the body you were born with.

I'm the same age as you and the prevailing wisdom I was taught was that I was evil and going to hell because i was gay. I was also taught that people with disabilities were simple, and that people who had depression were 'mad'. There was no major issue with folks having a feed of pints and driving home. There were no seatbelts in the back seats of cars.

Our knowledge about how the world and we as humans works moves on. We have to too.

I'm the same age as you and the prevailing wisdom I was taught was that I was evil and going to hell because i was gay. I was also taught that people with disabilities were simple, and that people who had depression were 'mad'. There was no major issue with folks having a feed of pints and driving home. There were no seatbelts in the back seats of cars.

Our knowledge about how the world and we as humans works moves on. We have to too.

You must be older than me so, I went to a strict, Conservative Catholic school and we were taught nothing of the sort. It mightve had something to do with the fact that pretty much every priest there was clearly gay themselves.

Edit just saw you said you are around the same age

You must be older than me so, I went to a strict, Conservative Catholic school and we were taught nothing of the sort. It mightve had something to do with the fact that pretty much every priest there was clearly gay themselves.

I'm 36. I went to a progressive COI school (for both primary and secondary), i was more talking about the social attitudes of the time - the 80's & 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

You *still* haven't answered my question. Don't you think generations of facilitating and covering up physical, sexual and emotional abuse disqualifies the RC from controlling education?
    Don't you think generations of facilitating and covering up physical, sexual and emotional abuse disqualifies the state from controlling education?

Reading this makes me wonder about the consistency of teaching in schools across the country. Our Catholic schooling was incredibly empathetic towards those with disabilities in fact we had to work with people with intellectual disabilities during transition year.

Reading this makes me wonder about the consistency of teaching in schools across the country. Our Catholic schooling was incredibly empathetic towards those with disabilities in fact we had to work with people with intellectual disabilities during transition year.

I said i was talking about SOCIETIES TEACHING.

Also, I doubt back int he 80's you were taught that people with disabilities were smart, and capable, and not in need of 'care' but of support to be independent? I worked with people with ID for years and the policy in Ireland in the state is still transitioning to that.

Edit just saw you said you are around the same age

Personally, I left school in 93 and we heard horrible stuff about gay people. The religious indoctrination we got was pretty severe. We even had youth defense in for a talk. I was just chatting to a guy in the same company as me who left the same school in the mid 2000's. He was saying it was the same when he was there and a couple of priests also went on a bit of a mad anti islam phase after 911.

That crap shouldn't be allowed in schools. Not at all. No-one should be telling gay kids that they are unnatural. It's just wrong. And unnatural is one of the better ways they describe gay people.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement