Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A game suggestion for a total gaming n00b

Options
  • 24-01-2019 10:56am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My better half, herein referred to as Mrs Ciderman, is just finished a Hdip and is suggesting she might try out a videogame, a thing she has resisted for the past 25 years, the duration of our relationship thus-far.

I'm thinking that LoZ:BotW might be a good place to start, but then I'm thinking of the conventions of gaming you need to already be practiced in with a game like that.
    Any other ideas out there?
    I have suggested Super Mario Odyssey, but she informs me that she doesn't like Mario :eek:

Might have to be on the lookout for the next Mrs Ciderman!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Minecraft. Why? You can build, you can fight, or you can grow things. And it is easy to learn after the initial strangeness of blocks and the pixelated art wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Play something co-op?

BOTW is a major commitment. Start smaller. :o

Also not sure about the appeal of Minecraft to someone who is 40+... (It's not for me)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, I don't think she would be a candidate for Minecraft somehow.
    And Co-op would be a definite divorce causer.

Maybe the likes of Firewatch... it is pretty linear, controls are simple and it's a grown-up story rather than the typical "save me (insert Nintendo icon name here) you're my only hope" type storylines.

Hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have suggested Super Mario Odyssey, but she informs me that she doesn't like Mario :eek:

Might have to be on the lookout for the next Mrs Ciderman!

Divorce her forthwith!!:D

How about Rayman Legends? Co-op play so you can show her the ropes and which she can subsequently play on her own. Classic platforming style game with an engaging story and a pleasant aesthetic. It also has that constant pull factor to try the next level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I have that in the collection, plenty of fun to be had and the controls are pretty easy to get the hang of.

She'll be playing Elite Dangerous and Dark Souls in no time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Or a bit of Mario Kart? Hard to go wrong with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Tetris.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Wii sports

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Stardew Valley

All good suggestions, I will report back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm thinking that LoZ:BotW might be a good place to start

God no, far too big and involved to hold someone's interest who's never played a game before. For me, there's but one answer here...Super Mario Odyssey. Hand her the Switch and the game, get her started if she needs basic help, and let the game do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

E.T. for the Atari, wonderful game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Inviere wrote: »
    God no, far too big and involved to hold someone's interest who's never played a game before. For me, there's but one answer here...Super Mario Odyssey. Hand her the Switch and the game, get her started if she needs basic help, and let the game do the rest.

One problem, she doesn’t like Mario apparently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Something like Night In The Woods might be good (though maybe get her to watch the trailer first) - character- and dialogue-focused, with simple gameplay mechanics and appealing cartoon art. Having said that, I played it on Steam so can't speak as to whether the Switch port is any good.

Snipperclips is good simple 2D fun that also allows for multiplayer, and doesn't require too much knowledge of existing game mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Kirby is a good choice for beginners. It's easy and the visuals and music are great.

I still think that BOTW is a good choice although some initial guidance would be in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Animal crossing New leaf

Mario kart 8 - she doesn't have to be Mario

Yoshi's woolly world charming enough to entice non gamers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Maybe ease here in with some QTE like type game so she can learn the buttons easy enough?

Something possibly choose your own adventure type thing, similar to maybe The Walking Dead or one of the Telltale games?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Pikmin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

For a total non gamer, perhaps Boom Blox: Bash Party. The controls are easy and it's good fun. Or Wii Sports Resort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

It's a tragedy people never experience e.g. super mario galaxy as it's 'just' a videogame or a 'mario' game or a 'kids' game.

So, Super Mario Galaxy, tell her to get over her Mario phobia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Does it have to be Nintendo? If not and you have the psvr then astrobot would lure anyone in. My other half dabbles in games the odd time and the ones that held her attention recently were stardew valley and astrobot. In fact stardew valley got a bit out of hand, I'd arrive home and nothing would be done is she was off.
    Overcooked is another good shout.

sligeach wrote: »
    For a total non gamer, perhaps Boom Blox: Bash Party. The controls are easy and it's good fun. Or Wii Sports Resort.

Boom blox party is great. Loved that game. Zack & Wiki from a similar era is a good puzzley type game too that my non gamer wife loved.
    Okami too, for Wii or Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

The original Super Mario Bros on the NES(classic). The game that arguably brought video games in to mainstream consciousness. And for damn good reason.

I guess, the problem is that even a modern 3D game requires a certain amount of gaming experience to enjoy, otherwise a significant amount of time is translating stick and buttons into onscreen movement and action, which is not logical at all to a non-gamer.

So, reducing the dimensions to be wrestled with or what is to be expected within that world might be best, hence Rayman Legends or Firewatch might be a good place to begin.

I have most of the games mentioned in the thread so far, so plenty of choices should my initial ideas not pan out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Sonic 1 on mega drive.

iamtony wrote: »
    Overcooked is another good shout.

If he secretly wants a divorce, sure! :pac:

Something simple and competitive but very "one more go..."ish could be best to ease her in... Something like Puzzle Bobble, or Mario Kart (I know I suggested it earlier, but it's worth a second suggestion!)

That or something more story driven... Grim Fandango, The Fall or Undertale perhaps? I'd add Thimbleweed Park here too, but it's probably a bit too meta.

[edit]
    Now I've got the Puzzle Bobble music in my head... >.<

Star Lord wrote: »
    If he secretly wants a divorce, sure! :pac:

Might be!
    Something simple and competitive but very "one more go..."ish could be best to ease her in... Something like Puzzle Bobble, or Mario Kart (I know I suggested it earlier, but it's worth a second suggestion!)

I have them both on the Switch, particularly the former, so might see about that one.
    I mean, I do want my Switch back from her at some point, is Puzzle Bobble not too potent???
    That or something more story driven... Grim Fandango, The Fall or Undertale perhaps? I'd add Thimbleweed Park here too, but it's probably a bit too meta.

This is why Firewatch occurred to me, it's a great experience and not too hard to play. Also might serve as a gateway drug to further adventures in the first person, such as Metroid Prime!

Now I've got the Puzzle Bobble music in my head... >.<

For you buddy, just to make your day, although true fans don't need the video, as it's playing in their heads 24/7 already!

I mean, I do want my Switch back from her at some point, is Puzzle Bobble not too potent???

You would only have to show her the proper arcade version you have on your cab... She can become besties with the parrot again while playing, and the parrot will sing you the music after...

Doo da doo doo doo doo! Doo da doo doo doo doo. Doo da doo doo doo doo doo ba doo bee da doo da doo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Snipperclips on the Switch is my suggestion. Really fun puzzle game where you both have to work together, but there's also a competitive streak were you can annoy the other player if you really want.

That or Dark Souls.

Or just get divorced if she doesn't like Mario. There's no saving her.

Advertisement