Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a new account

Options
  • 24-01-2019 11:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

currently

i have an account in my mothers name ( shes moved to a new house )

so i've been paying the bills for past 8 years , all be it they still in my mothers name

i was wondering about changing the bill in my name 

is this possible ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for getting in touch.

It isn't possible to change the name on the account, but all you need to do is open an account in your name, which will automatically close the account in your mother's name.

If you are choosing to remain supplied by Electric Ireland for electricity, you can still avail of a new customer offer (direct debit required) which is a €150 credit bonus. You can register for this here on the Electric Ireland website.

The meter point reference number (MPRN) is always the same, so you will find this on a bill, and the meter-reading you take to open your account, will also be the meter-reading that is used to close your mother's account. A final bill will issue in her name, for usage up to that meter-reading. The first bill in your name will be issued two months after the last scheduled bill issued in your mother's name. Usage for your registration will be from your opening meter-reading onwards.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for getting in touch.

It isn't possible to change the name on the account, but all you need to do is open an account in your name, which will automatically close the account in your mother's name.

If you are choosing to remain supplied by Electric Ireland for electricity, you can still avail of a new customer offer (direct debit required) which is a €150 credit bonus. You can register for this here on the Electric Ireland website.

The meter point reference number (MPRN) is always the same, so you will find this on a bill, and the meter-reading you take to open your account, will also be the meter-reading that is used to close your mother's account. A final bill will issue in her name, for usage up to that meter-reading. The first bill in your name will be issued two months after the last scheduled bill issued in your mother's name. Usage for your registration will be from your opening meter-reading onwards.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una
    thanks

but do i need to pay money upfront as a deposit ??

also i prefer to pay my bills as they arrive , at least i know when its paid etc , as i tried DD with a diff bill and it didnt work for me to be honest

so any deal if i'm paying as the bill is received ??

i'm never in arrears or late to pay

Hi Anthony,

Payment of the €300 security deposit is only required if you don't set up direct debit. Direct debit is necessary for a savings offer.

You can pay a bill when you receive it if you have direct debit - just ensure to do so immediately, as there is a limited window of time before the direct debit instruction is sent to the bank. Also, only pay by bank card through the following form on the Electric Ireland website.

After 14 months, a customer can cancel the direct debit without incurring the security deposit, and they can pay as they please.

Best regards,
    Una

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Hi Anthony,

Payment of the €300 security deposit is only required if you don't set up direct debit. Direct debit is necessary for a savings offer.

You can pay a bill when you receive it if you have direct debit - just ensure to do so immediately, as there is a limited window of time before the direct debit instruction is sent to the bank. Also, only pay by bank card through the following form on the Electric Ireland website.

After 14 months, a customer can cancel the direct debit without incurring the security deposit, and they can pay as they please.

Best regards,
    Una
    thank you 

best stay as i am 

not paying a security deposit or by DD

thanks anyway

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your post.

We just need to advise: if it arises that you have a query regarding the account in your mother's name, and if your name is not added to the account as an authorised contact, it will not be possible to discuss the account with you as you are not the account-holder. Even though you pay it and live at the property being supplied, for Data Protection/GDPR reasons it can still only be discussed with the account-holder.

Therefore we recommend having the account-holder contact Electric Ireland to add your name to the account as an authorised contact. Then contact us yourself (by private message here on Boards.ie if you wish) to advise that you are also agreeable to this update. From then on, the account can be discussed with you.

Best regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement