Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions re site that is currently hosted

• 24-01-2019 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is a treasurer for a community centre with a site (.ie). When the centre opened in 2014, he had the website developed for him, which went live. He wants the website updated but the individual who developed wasn't a professional and was basically a relation of a former employee who created the site for a flat fee. As such, the website creator doesn't respond to any contact any more and doesn't really have much obligation to do so.

He asked me to have a look. He had some login details (website was created in Wordpress) and I was able to make whatever changes were required. I did a whois lookup to find out more and found it was hosted on Blacknight and was a 5-year plan, due to expire this September. My friend can find no record of any payment to Blacknight. For this reason, he is assuming the flat fee paid to the website creator covered the cost of 5 years worth of hosting. The domain holder is the name of the community centre and there is no reference to the creator. 

Is there any way the the community centre, be it by way of the treasurer or otherwise, be able to take ownership of the domain when they had no direct contact with Blacknight in the first place? When the website creator doesn't respond to emails, finding out more info on our end is a bit difficult.

Further to this, I am looking at replacing the current website with my own content that contains a basic booking system. Site will be created in MVC5 and require SQL Server. I've looked at some of the hosting options and have some questions. I see that you provide SQL Server 2008 - is this standard or 2008 R2? Also, the 10gb disk space on the Minimus plan - does this just cover site files or does it need to cover the database too? Also, would there be any difficulty migrating over the inboxes from the above Wordpress site to a newly developed site?

Thanks

Comments

Hi Mark. Thanks for your enquiry.

If the domain name is registered to an organisation, and your friend is an officer of that organisation, then it should be possible to update the contact details for the registration, with some verification.

I can't comment any further without knowing the specifics of the registration, but you or your friend should call our sales team who will be happy to advise you.

https://www.blacknight.com/contact/

They can discuss your specific hosting requirements in detail and help you choose the services you need, including any migration requirements you may have.

And with regard to your specific query: our Windows Web Hosting packages come with SQL Server 2008 R2.

Kind Regards,
    Conn

Advertisement