Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair didn't charge my card for flights.

Options
  • 24-01-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,
    I booked return RA flights on the 4th Dec to Berlin for march. The money was pending for a week, then dropped off and went back into my acc. I contacted them and they said the transaction has gone through and the booking is confirmed, but bank said otherwise.

I have contacted them 4 times now, and they keep saying that my card was charged, they confirm my card details, my booking and just keep saying my flight is confirmed. I've gone through my statement several times and the transaction simply isn't there. I've now checked in, and even added express security onto the booking (which did go through). I really don't know what else to do. They just don't seem interested at all to look into this further, and knowing Ryanair, I don't want to show up at the airport and my flight/seats aren't confirmed.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, what are my rights here? I don't mind paying for the flights (like I've tried a number of times!) I just want to make sure I can fly whether they want to take the money or not.

Thanks

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

It sounds strange but at some point they will realise that the payment didn't go through and they'll charge the card. That could be months from now.

How far away is the flight?

Right now I'm not sure what else you can do. If the booking is confirmed they have reserved a space for you on the flight. I'd keep an eye on it all the same just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sparxx89

@PMan - thanks but the bank have said that they only have 72 hours or something to take the money out, and if it's any later it would be deemed as a new transaction and they would need my permission to do that. I've been keeping an eye nearly daily, but not sure what I'm supposed to look out for. I would imagine I'd get a notification saying "there's an error with your booking, please contact us".

I have 6 flights booked with them for the next three months, and all the bookings look the same on the app, confirmed, checked in and can view the boarding passes. But this particular one just wasn't charged onto my card. Also, I think the card is going to expire so I need to make sure they can take the money whenever (if) they decide to.

The flight isn't until Paddy's weekend (March) but it's really annoying as I want to look forward to it, but keep thinking the worst, ie. I show up and they say I can't fly and I'd then lose out on the hotel I booked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many people would leave it at that and say “ happy days “.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Can you check and confirm the account details used for the transaction? There's a chance they may have inadvertently charged someone else's account...

Print of the written exchange and bring it with you to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I had an experience like this in the past, not with an airline but the money was taken about 2 months later. Say nothing but leave the money in the account and they will take it when your least expecting it, like the day a big direct debit is due or something.
    Someone along the line is missing the money so they will eventually investigate when they realise its gone and then charge you.

@tayto_lover - I get that but it sounds too good to be true.

@gozunda - they've confirmed my card details (they have the correct ones) and it was pending for 5 days and then dropped off and the money went back into my acc. So they didn't charge someone else.

@Ads_by_Google - I plan on doing that but am still just concerned. Surely if they looked into it they would see that the money didn't go into their account. They just refuse to actually check that with the relevant team. It's like pulling teeth on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

sparxx89 wrote: »
    @PMan - thanks but the bank have said that they only have 72 hours or something to take the money out, and if it's any later it would be deemed as a new transaction and they would need my permission to do that.

Yeah, the way it works is that Merchant (Ryanair) get an authorisation code at the time of purchase from the bank and present that to the bank at a later point (usually batched up with other payments at end of every day) to actually get the money.
    The bank is correct in saying that the authorisation expires after a period, that varies from card to card but it's usually a few days.

However assuming Ryanair have your card details they can present these at a later point for payment. Ryanair's view would be that the you have given them permission to take the payment already. Just my view, I don't work in a bank or Ryanair.

sparxx89 wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye nearly daily, but not sure what I'm supposed to look out for. I would imagine I'd get a notification saying "there's an error with your booking, please contact us".

Yeah, I'd expect you'd get a notification of some sort.
    You'll also see that there's a balance outstanding on the booking

@PMan - thanks, yeah the email confirmation says:
    Total Paid via Visa Debit/ Delta ending XXXX ---- XXX.XX EUR.
    So it is saying I have paid and nothing is owed.

Thanks for your replies! I'll update the thread with the outcome incase it ever happens again to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Similar happened me before though not with an airline, ordered something online and it was delivered. Money wasn't debited from my account until 4 months later, a hold had been placed on the funds initially but they were released before being debited later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why was the transaction "pending?". I booked RA flights the other day and the money was out of my account literally seconds after I booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

About 15 years ago I was on holiday and went to a real fancy restaurant up in the hills near Marbella with herself. I think dinner was close to 200 bucks. Left stuffed and happy. Paid by credit card.

Get my statement at the end of the month. Card was charged alright. 2 or 3 days later though they refunded the charge in full. I've no idea why or how they did that.

Did I complain.......... Sure I was home now, who was I going to complain to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

You'll know when checking in online if there are any issues, if the check in goes smoothly then you have your boarding pass and all will be fine.
    They open online check in weeks in advance now, and message you once it is open. So make sure to check in as soon as possible to give you time to rectify an issues just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I know this is from 5 years ago but I literally have this problem with Ryanair.

booked flight Tuesday night to Berlin and got 2 confirmation emails but money still not taken fr account. I use Ryanair a bit and usually money is taken instantly.

phone there an hour ago and was told booking is all good and could see amount I paid even though I told them it hasn’t come out of my account

how did op get on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

This has happened to me before with a few airlines (maybe with Ryanair, I can't remember for sure). Every time the money was taken within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

this is sorted now

they eventually took the payment

Advertisement