Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 fuel thread

Options
  • 24-01-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

continued on from here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86681933 and previous threads i started also.

I think this winter is yet to turn very cold and, even if it doesn't, we're all focussed on fuels til early Summer anyway!

I'm currently using oil, electric fires (I have to say that I love the convenience and reliability of good Dimplex units), an Inverter paraffin heater (3.2kw) which I burn paraffin in at e33 for 20L, and solid fuel in an Eco Grate (www.ecograte.ie).

Typically, I burn seasoned (by me) ash wood and manufactured wood briquettes. I've burned every wood briquette available on the Irish market. And they're all great, at the right price. Typically, I've taken pallets of 10Kg packs of Megatherm from Telfords. But they've risen in price substantially.
    This winter, I've sourced 500Kg bags of 500 'Ruf' style briquettes for a good discount off of what a retail pallet of 1 tonne would cost (around e400 delivered). I burn them in an open fire modified with an Eco Grate. Heats bottom of a semi-d in this weather even. Hotter than lignite nuggets and far less dusty. No smuts and very little ash. And a clear chimney. Lovely flame picture too. Very like the Aldi ones but they're 73 cent a kilo collected whereas these are around 23 cent a kilo ex delivery. Its been a no-brainer for me. Two family members are burning them in a stove and an old range and both report that they're staying in longer than BNM briquettes. So they've ordered their own now too.

If anyone is interested in sourcing some, PM me. There's a limited supply. But constant and local. As you can see from previous threads going back to 2010, I'm into my winter heat. I like my comfort!

Oil-wise, I got a good deal on 500L from Deverells in late November. Haven't used much of it though because of the mild weather and these oak briquettes.

Coalwise, mcloughlins in Newbridge had good deals on 20Kg bags of various types of coal and I've also always found Mick Reddin in Mountmellick very fair on prices and very easy to deal with. A very genial man.

Anyone come across any bargains out there? Oil, coal, wood etc. I don't think there's any deals on proper briquettes any more and to be honest, I think the ash volume (and the dirty nature of it) is a huge problem for me. Its bone dry wood and coal nuggets all the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Thanks for the pm.
    I can't get peat briquettes any cheaper than Lidl or Aldi at €4 a bale. I only use a few to start off a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Good idea for a thread.

My issue is I want the heat, but want to have as little ash as possible.
    I've a well insulated home, oil heating which is on max 60 minutes daily, if even.
    And a lovely solid fuel stove.

Would like someone to please recommend a smokeless coal which throws out heat, most I've tried are rather mediocre.
    I have enough seasoned wood to do me for this winter.
    And very little storage.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Good idea for a thread.

My issue is I want the heat, but want to have as little ash as possible.
    I've a well insulated home, oil heating which is on max 60 minutes daily, if even.
    And a lovely solid fuel stove.

Would like someone to please recommend a smokeless coal which throws out heat, most I've tried are rather mediocre.
    I have enough seasoned wood to do me for this winter.
    And very little storage.
    Thank you.

I'm using Supertherm lignite nuggets. Got them in Glanbia in 40kg. I find that burning them with manufactured wood briquettes has consistently given me the best heat and bang for buck. Either that or I use Arigna or BNM Cosygem nuggets. I stay away from housecoal. Dirty stuff. A heavy ash from the coal nuggets would be my only negative. With a stove, I'd definitely burn a mix of nuggets and wood briquettes.
    Even 'seasoned'wood is still 30%+ moisture. I bought a load of ash in April 2018 and air dried it in a wood shelter until November 18. It practically split itself, it was so dry. But it still fails to compare to good quality wood briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

For anyone that’s interested there is a sale on loose peat briquettes from the factory between Birr and Cloghan. €195 a tonne. It’s a bit late in the season unfortunately.

Advertisement