Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting EIR Modem box to a Net Switch

• 24-01-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have eFibre (1Gb) service and works fine - but house has thick walls and concrete floor and home-plugs don't work. I need to get this service around the house for TVs and Wifi. 

Question-1
    I am having problems connecting Tp-link  (10/100 5P TP-Link TL-SF1005P) Net Switch between main EIR modem in hall and main EIR TV box (large black box). I have another EIR TV box (small box) and TV which run off the same Net Switch box and work fine. I have to cycle the Net Switch and main EIR TV box each day in order to get a TV picture. I am using Cat5e cables.

Question-2
    I have a TP Link Archer V600 also connected to the Net Switch box above. I have pressed factory reset since it was configured for another system previously - and manged to get my laptop connected to the 2.4Mhz WiFi service but then is just stopped working after a day or so. I can connect to the Archer WiFi box - via my laptop - just there is no Internet connection - even though lights are flashing etc. Do I need to update settings.

I rang EIR support but no luck.

Any advice/suggestion appreciated.

tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

mobiletm wrote: »
    I have eFibre (1Gb) service and works fine - but house has thick walls and concrete floor and home-plugs don't work. I need to get this service around the house for TVs and Wifi. 

Question-1
    I am having problems connecting Tp-link  (10/100 5P TP-Link TL-SF1005P) Net Switch between main EIR modem in hall and main EIR TV box (large black box). I have another EIR TV box (small box) and TV which run off the same Net Switch box and work fine. I have to cycle the Net Switch and main EIR TV box each day in order to get a TV picture. I am using Cat5e cables.

Question-2
    I have a TP Link Archer V600 also connected to the Net Switch box above. I have pressed factory reset since it was configured for another system previously - and manged to get my laptop connected to the 2.4Mhz WiFi service but then is just stopped working after a day or so. I can connect to the Archer WiFi box - via my laptop - just there is no Internet connection - even though lights are flashing etc. Do I need to update settings.

tim
    Hi Tim, 

We do not deal with technical queries on this forum. 

What I would advise is to contact our technical team by calling 1890260260 or our online technical team here 

This team will be able to assist you. 

Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mobiletm

Question-1

Question-2

tim
    Thanks Grainne for replying...four points;

1. Re. Grainne>What I would advise is to contact our technical team by calling 1890260260 or our online technical team here  - This team will be able to assist you.
    Tim>you will have read that ....I rang EIR support (spent approx. 15 minutes on the call)  but no luck (even when the support technician checked with rest of the team)....

2. Re. Grainne>We do not deal with technical queries on this forum"
    Tim>my fault here - but where can we ask these questions on Boards?

3.  Re. the motivation for the original email
    Tim>We are paying upwards of Euros100 per month for an EIR eFibre service which we are unable to get full value of - inside the house - the stock answer from EIR is that 1) you have to use EIR equipment e.g. 'home-plugs' (these do not work in our house) 2) that EIR do not/will not  support other 3rd Party kit (which I understand) - so, 3) we are happy to put in our own 'in-house' solutions here (despite - but need help/advice/information (as per my earlier email) as to how EIR equipment 'interfaces/communicates' with other kit - a simple example question is; why the EIR broadband/TV signal - transmitted on a CAT5e cable - seems to be 'affected'  if we use an industry standard Net Switch between EIR Modem and an EIR TV top-box?

4. Tim>We acknowledge that EIR eFibre service to the house is fine - just think EIR need to re-visit the idea that not all homes are alike - and ultimately it's the 'complete working solution' for any one home has to be the answer here - i would have thought this would be business opportunity rather than a problem i.e i am happy to pay for someone to provide a solution here...

Thanks

tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

Question-1

Question-2

tim
    Thanks Grainne for replying...four points;

1. Re. Grainne>What I would advise is to contact our technical team by calling 1890260260 or our online technical team here  - This team will be able to assist you.
    Tim>you will have read that ....I rang EIR support (spent approx. 15 minutes on the call)  but no luck (even when the support technician checked with rest of the team)....

2. Re. Grainne>We do not deal with technical queries on this forum"
    Tim>my fault here - but where can we ask these questions on Boards?

3.  Re. the motivation for the original email
    Tim>We are paying upwards of Euros100 per month for an EIR eFibre service which we are unable to get full value of - inside the house - the stock answer from EIR is that 1) you have to use EIR equipment e.g. 'home-plugs' (these do not work in our house) 2) that EIR do not/will not  support other 3rd Party kit (which I understand) - so, 3) we are happy to put in our own 'in-house' solutions here (despite - but need help/advice/information (as per my earlier email) as to how EIR equipment 'interfaces/communicates' with other kit - a simple example question is; why the EIR broadband/TV signal - transmitted on a CAT5e cable - seems to be 'affected'  if we use an industry standard Net Switch between EIR Modem and an EIR TV top-box?

4. Tim>We acknowledge that EIR eFibre service to the house is fine - just think EIR need to re-visit the idea that not all homes are alike - and ultimately it's the 'complete working solution' for any one home has to be the answer here - i would have thought this would be business opportunity rather than a problem i.e i am happy to pay for someone to provide a solution here...

Thanks

tim
    Hi tim, 

I sincerely apologise that I am unable to assist you here. 

As eir do not support external devices on our network I would be unable to advise on what you need to do that is why I advised contacting our technical team. 

I will certainly pass your feedback on for future consideration. 

Grainne

Advertisement