Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance penalties for signing on too late

• 24-01-2019 3:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

I'm now 30 and I've been without health insurance now for 3 years. In my own view, because of my lifestyle, I don't see myself wanting to sign up for this until I'm in my 60s. Health insurers have this cut off point for 35 year olds. I hear that if I eventually sign back on I'll get some credits for the time I've had it.

But what I'm asking is, supposing I wanted to way until I was 65 before I sign on? I know this will mean that I'll be penalised, but if I save 35 years of health insurance money, won't that be enough to make up for the however much I'm going to be penalised for?

I think health insurance is madness for the few who are disciplined enough to lead a healthy life. It's the only thing that you're not robbed of in today's society. Ultimately you're only paying other people who pretend they don't smoke, and so on. As we speak, I'd probably be willing to pay €5 for a year's health insurance, so what does that say?!

I do have to wonder is the insurance business not corrupt like the car insurance business?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You don't ever have to buy private health insurance in Ireland - you can stick with the public health system your whole life if you want to. Why do you think you'll want private insurance in your 60s, but not, for example, in your 40s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,107 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They need to put in penalties for those only joining when they are at a high risk level and more likely to need it. Currently if you pay in from 35 your premium is the same price aged 35 as it is when you are 95.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Well First Off...

Thoie wrote: »
    You don't ever have to buy private health insurance in Ireland - you can stick with the public health system your whole life if you want to. Why do you think you'll want private insurance in your 60s, but not, for example, in your 40s?
    What's the difference?

I have superior health! Don't get me started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭CPTM

Thoie wrote: »

There's some anecdotal evidence to suggest that people aren't as young and healthy at age 60 in comparison to age 40. Perhaps they need more consultants, GP visits, or scans etc.

OP, I vaguely remember that certain health insurers won't actually let you sign up for certain plans after the age of 50 unless you had insurance beforehand. The penalties might not always be monetary.

They need to put in penalties for those only joining when they are at a high risk level and more likely to need it. Currently if you pay in from 35 your premium is the same price aged 35 as it is when you are 95.
    But I'd save a huge amount of money?

• Advertisement

As long as I save money over all, that's all I'm really worried about.

M

But I'd save a huge amount of money?

But the private insurer would lose a load of money as you wouldn't have bought in over your lifetime and be only coming in at the later stage of life where you are significantly more likely to require it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I have superior health! Don't get me started!

This is probably going to come as a shock to you but healthy people get sick all the time.

Yes risk increases as you age which is why a lot of people increase their level of cover as they get older but to not buy health insurance because you are currently healthy is completely senseless.

M

As long as I save money over all, that's all I'm really worried about.

An idea might be to put aside say a grand a year now, then when you are in your later years you have a lump sum should it be needed, I'd say most big medical procecures could be done for less han €50k.

martyoo wrote: »
    This is probably going to come as a shock to you but healthy people get sick all the time.
    I disagree. I was at the doc last years ago

• Advertisement

martyoo wrote: »
    but to not buy health insurance because you are currently healthy is completely senseless.
    Well first off, I know the reason why I'm completely healthy.

In fact, at this stage I'm so young looking for my age that it creates a lot of confusion. I can only expect more of this as I get older!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'm now 30 and I've been without health insurance now for 3 years. In my own view, because of my lifestyle, I don't see myself wanting to sign up for this until I'm in my 60s. Health insurers have this cut off point for 35 year olds. I hear that if I eventually sign back on I'll get some credits for the time I've had it.

But what I'm asking is, supposing I wanted to way until I was 65 before I sign on? I know this will mean that I'll be penalised, but if I save 35 years of health insurance money, won't that be enough to make up for the however much I'm going to be penalised for?

I think health insurance is madness for the few who are disciplined enough to lead a healthy life. It's the only thing that you're not robbed of in today's society. Ultimately you're only paying other people who pretend they don't smoke, and so on. As we speak, I'd probably be willing to pay €5 for a year's health insurance, so what does that say?!

I do have to wonder is the insurance business not corrupt like the car insurance business?

Nothing stopping you just 1 think if you get some illness then decide to sign up they may not cover you for a pre existing condition. So here is hoping you stay healthy until you do or it's the public route which anyone can take

I disagree. I was at the doc last years ago

So your 100% sure you won't get cancer, be 100% you may not get in an accident.

So your 100% sure you won't get cancer, be 100% you may not get in an accident.

I'm more sure that I'd get a heart attack from the stress of working to pay health insurance!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Dead right OP, you could save a fortune on health insurance by waiting until you actually need it before you sign up.*

*terms & conditions apply, may be missing something. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I was as healthy as a trout until I was 32. Then MS hit, 2 years wait in the public system to see a Neuro . The current treatment I’m on costs €2,500 a month . The numbers who get it in the public system is kept very low - in some places , you can only get it when someone else comes off it .
    Without this treatment , I would be in a wheelchair by now . Instead , I work full time . I’d go hungry before I’d cancel health insurance .

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

I wasn't in a position to pay for health insurance until the last couple of years. I was very much of the opinion that if I stayed active, ate well and didn't abuse my body I would be fine. I got to my late 30s and finally caved after seeing people around me who were healthy getting cancer and not having to join waiting lists. I got long enough without having to take it out. They were grand, thankfully, but I wouldn't like to take my chances and wait 2 years to be seen. Probably would be dead by that stage. You can't beat peace of mind. Incidentally since I've had health insurance, have not been to the doctor's once! I sleep easy knowing medical bills are one worry that won't trouble me.

Graham wrote: »
    Dead right OP, you could save a fortune on health insurance by waiting until you actually need it before you sign up.*

*terms & conditions apply, may be missing something. ;)
    I don't see myself needing it before 60, so it's the perfect plan.

You can't beat peace of mind.
    You're listening to too many adverts.

Irish people will always go for health insurance because there's no way they're giving up the drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

What a strange wind up. Only signed up a couple of days ago and this bizarre thread telling us how healthy and young looking you are. :rolleyes:

What if next time, you're not so lucky?

I remember I once nearly had a car accident on a narrow road. The car I nearly collided with drove off. I had got quite a fright so as the car was stopped along came another car (that was behind the first car) who had witnessed what nearly happened. She handed me some magazine about God and drove off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was as healthy as a trout until I was 32. Then MS hit, 2 years wait in the public system to see a Neuro . The current treatment I’m on costs €2,500 a month . The numbers who get it in the public system is kept very low - in some places , you can only get it when someone else comes off it .
    Without this treatment , I would be in a wheelchair by now . Instead , I work full time . I’d go hungry before I’d cancel health insurance .

I had health insurance for a few years but thought I'm young, I don't need it...I'll spend the money on other things. Then I got diagnosed with MS in my early 30s after I gave up my insurance. I also needed a minor operation as well for something unrelated. After being caught twice without insurance I took out health insurance again after my diagnosis but I have to serve out a 5 year wait period for having a pre-existing condition. Will hopefully be covered for it in 2.5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have health insurance and pay the lowest fee to Layla. It is simply to get seen in the hospital and once you are in they will treat you.

My mate broke his neck and was on a trolley for 5 days without being treated simply because no health insuarance. If he had he would have had his operation immediately.

The crazy thing was I paid for insurance for my dog and I didn’t have any but I signed up when the penalties were coming in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Encouraged

There is a certain amount of truth in what the OP is saying here. It won't be long before people will be monitoring their health with their smart phones, or where they're monitored by an agency. The problem here is that health insurers will offer discounts to people who'll agree to be monitored.

Encouraged wrote: »
    There is a certain amount of truth in what the OP is saying here. It won't be long before people will be monitoring their health with their smart phones, or where they're monitored by an agency. The problem here is that health insurers will offer discounts to people who'll agree to be monitored.

So there is apps now to track diseases, cancers, MS etc. How about accidents. The point is yes you might be healthy now but how about next year and dont forget if you get health insurance and have a pre existing ilness they would not cover you for x amount of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ireland uses community rating meaning all persons pay the same rate for a particular health insurance policy irrespective of their actual state of health. This allows older people to continue to enjoy health coverage. It worked very well with a single insurer (VHI) but has been more complex with new entrants - especially those who have undergone Phoenix like transformations before they gavevto contribute, via equalisation, to ensure communityvrating continues. The introduction of penalties for late uptake is also a feature of this.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The introduction of penalties for late uptake is also a feature of this.
    Yeah, it was that that the OP was asking about. I'm also curious - if you went say 40 years without health insurance, and then signed up (before becoming ill) what would the penalty amount per year? How come no one knows the answer to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Yeah, it was that that the OP was asking about. I'm also curious - if you went say 40 years without health insurance, and then signed up (before becoming ill) what would the penalty amount per year? How come no one knows the answer to this?

Extract below from the q&a on https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/lifetime-community-rating-explained

4. What loadings will apply?
    A loading of 2% of the gross premium will apply for every year of age higher than age 34 that an individual has attained when they first purchase inpatient private health insurance after 30 April 2015.

bennyob wrote: »
    Extract below from the q&a on

4. What loadings will apply?
    A loading of 2% of the gross premium will apply for every year of age higher than age 34 that an individual has attained when they first purchase inpatient private health insurance after 30 April 2015.
    Thanks,

So if health insurance costs €500 per year for the everyday cretin who can't look after themselves, then 2% would be €10

Then if I were to go 30 years (from age 35 to 65) before I sign on, would that be:

€10 X 30 = €300

Not too bad at all. I'd just have to give them an extra €300 in 30 years. It's better than spending €15,000

So I save €15,000 - €300 = €14,700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Thanks,

So if health insurance costs €500 per year for the everyday cretin who can't look after themselves, then 2% would be €10

Then if I were to go 30 years (from age 35 to 65) before I sign on, would that be:

€10 X 30 = €300

Not too bad at all. I'd just have to give them an extra €300 in 30 years. It's better than spending €15,000

Or if you need health insurance in the meantime you save;

€15000- seriously long wait to see consultant= pain/ progression of disease..../ time off work/ and so many other issues!!

My advice is if you can afford it then get it...

No one can predict when they may need it.

I know of a healthy guy who needed immediate investigation and care. He jsut had some back pain but had he not had vhi, he would not have had a scan so quick and had his malignant cancer diagnosed... he'd be dead with any delays.....

A friend had private health insurance abroad and ended up admitted to a private hospital here for investigations.... He had to pay and claim it back from his insurer himself. The bill would scare most people here.... Anyone here who thinks that they will save the €1k /year fee for when they may need it is only fooling themselves, it'll be used to buy a car/ holiday/ house deposit. Even if you managed to save €15k, a stay in a private hospital, a few scans and interventions would soak that up pretty quick......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Thanks,

€10 X 30 = €300

That's an extra charge of €300 per €500 euro of premium. You will also need to factor in the cost of a suitable plan for your age and also inflation. Health/medical inflation generally is higher than the average inflation rate.

Advertisement