Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etb job vacancy

Options
  • 24-01-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of applying for instructor job for ETB & was wondering if anyone can give me any info about working for them.

Does the courses run the same as a university year? For example, is there courses running during summer? What are the perks/challenges working for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

It depends, what area is the job in? Youthreach, Vtos, PLC, ETB school? Courses run differently depending on what area theyre in and they will come with their own unique challenges and perks depending on the setting too. Could you give some more information?

In terms of working for ETBs as a whole, you will be paid once a month which is the biggest challenge imo as generally ETB tutors only get a handful of hours a week if theyre lucky and often work in more than one education center or school so the money isnt that great to begin with, add in travel costs and trying to make it through the month with no other financial support or income can be very difficult, the only thing is you can sign on for the days you dont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭missyver

It depends, what area is the job in? Youthreach, Vtos, PLC, ETB school? Courses run differently depending on what area theyre in and they will come with their own unique challenges and perks depending on the setting too. Could you give some more information?

In terms of working for ETBs as a whole, you will be paid once a month which is the biggest challenge imo as generally ETB tutors only get a handful of hours a week if theyre lucky and often work in more than one education center or school so the money isnt that great to begin with, add in travel costs and trying to make it through the month with no other financial support or income can be very difficult, the only thing is you can sign on for the days you dont work.

Thank you for you're response. To be honest, I don't know for sure yet as I'm only going by the job description but I'm presuming it's in the ETB training centre, so do you know what that would be like to work in?

So just to confirm, are you guaranteed a certain number of hours in the year? Would it be between 9 - 5 or could it be out evening courses. Also would they be closed for summer?

Really appreciate you're feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

missyver wrote: »
    Thank you for you're response. To be honest, I don't know for sure yet as I'm only going by the job description but I'm presuming it's in the ETB training centre, so do you know what that would be like to work in?

So just to confirm, are you guaranteed a certain number of hours in the year? Would it be between 9 - 5 or could it be out evening courses. Also would they be closed for summer?

Really appreciate you're feedback

I cant tell you without more info, it all depends on the area youre tutoring in, your subject and the type of school or center. An evening course in say, Vtos could be very different to an evening course in a further ed college, tutoring in Youthreach would very different to tutoring in a PLC or on a leaving cert course for adults. Every ETB facility allocates their hours to subjects differently depending on any number of reasons, just to give you an example, it could depend on the size of the center, their intake of students, students needs and interests and the course coordinators preference, some ETB's place more emphasis on some subjects over others so those subjects get more hours.

Generally if youre given a position, which will more than likely be a subbing position, you will most likely be given a guaranteed set of hours every week but that said, hours can be cut without notice - this isnt something that happens regularly but it does happen.

If you apply for this job and go for interview you'll be required to have some knowledge of the differentiation between sectors within ETB's, it will also be expected that you know the general running of ETB's as you'll be questioned about this in the interview.

Have you rang the ETB that posted the job? If you tell them what job youre applying to they can tell you more about it, such as the hours required, where it is etc.

Advertisement