Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pebble dash

• 24-01-2019 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

There are very few new builds I see that use pebble dash and little mention here on boards. Based on my searches anyway...

Are there technical or cost reasons it is unpopular? I have no issue with the appearance but I'm wondering are there reasons very few people opt for this these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

moldy_sea wrote: »
    There are very few new builds I see that use pebble dash and little mention here on boards. Based on my searches anyway...

Are there technical or cost reasons it is unpopular? I have no issue with the appearance but I'm wondering are there reasons very few people opt for this these days.

Purely cosmetic.
    Most people go for a smooth rendered finish nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My last house had the perfect storm of gravel dash next to upside down decking. So the gravel would fall/get knocked off and get lodged in the slots in the upside down decking, and then I'd have to prise them out with a knife.

The Celtic Tiger was great, wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

kceire wrote: »
    Purely cosmetic.
    Most people go for a smooth rendered finish nowadays.

It seals the surface it is on so it's not purely cosmetic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It seals the surface it is on so it's not purely cosmetic.

My post was about why people don’t use it anymore. Purely cosmetic reasons.
    I wasn’t debating the technical merits of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd imagine price is a factor too, the materials are quite expensive and the there is an awful lot of waste.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I'd say as said by kCeire, its out of fashion.
    Never mind the fact you dont paint it so that red fungus can crop up that bare plaster gets.

Plus the stones falling off.
    Its a very permanent decision because (As above) its a pain to undo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I'd say as said by kCeire, its out of fashion.
    Never mind the fact you dont paint it so that red fungus can crop up that bare plaster gets.

Plus the stones falling off.
    Its a very permanent decision because (As above) its a pain to undo.

Plus it's very restrictive when it comes to doing something like building an extension or carrying out any big works, as it can be very difficult to repair and patch up after. There'll almost always be a noticeable difference and it'll stand out.

It's just an outdated finish these days. It can look fantastic, but generally isn't worth it.

Advertisement