Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice places to eat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

some establishments in the so called "latin quarter" on the main street is a lot to be desired, most is overprice bog standard stuff you would get served in a staff canteen. There are few gems but as such are rare in abundance.

Again, its about what expectations you have set for your price range.
    For me i compare quality first then price, no problem paying more but i do expect more as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Some that haven't been mentioned much on this thread would be:

Cava - serving brilliant tapas for years now
    Dela - good for dinner or brunch
    Wa Cafe - great sushi
    Sangria - South American Tapas, fairly new but brilliant
    Tartare - JP McMahon's latest and pretty good the one time I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

cooperguy wrote: »

Wa Cafe - great sushi

Didn't recongise Sangria so looked it up. Turns out I've already eaten there :D. Food was great and service was top notch. Would recommend. They're on that corner near the Augustinian church that changes hands every few years. Hopefully they'll have better luck than the places that have gone before.

https://www.sangriagalway.com/contact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Sangria is very nice alright. Worth a visit. It's cheaper than other tapas places too.

I'd recommend Wa cafe for sushi, probably the freshest out of the others.

Kai, Dela, Nimmos all do good food. Like others have said, Galway is pretty good for food quality. I don't think there is anywhere I wouldn't recommend especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Any recommendations for all-day breakfast cafes? Preferably outside of the city centre with free parking.
    I usually go to the Galway Plate but I want to try somewhere new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Any recommendations for all-day breakfast cafes? Preferably outside of the city centre with free parking.

Frends on the tuam road just past the travel lodge on the right as you're heading out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

xckjoo wrote: »

Wa Cafe - great sushi

Didn't recongise Sangria so looked it up. Turns out I've already eaten there :D. Food was great and service was top notch. Would recommend. They're on that corner near the Augustinian church that changes hands every few years. Hopefully they'll have better luck than the places that have gone before.

https://www.sangriagalway.com/contact
    I passed by there this evening....real nice vibes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

xckjoo wrote: »

It would appear that corner is cursed though in terms of sustainable businesses. There is something kinda exposed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but has anyone tried out Handsome Burger on Dominick Street since it opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not sure about the bricks and mortar place but I didn’t find anything special about their pop up stand in the Foods of Athenry last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

grbear wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask but has anyone tried out Handsome Burger on Dominick Street since it opened?

Meh... nothing to rave about
    Don't understand all these fancy burger joints.
    I make my own and source the meats from the same butchers these guys use. It's no rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Meh... nothing to rave about
    Don't understand all these fancy burger joints.

I think it's just the current fad where too many of the same thing open at the same time. We had burritos, then asian street food, and now this. They're probably trying to capitalise the Five Guys / Shake Shack trend in the states.

A fancy burger isn't something I do often, but every time I've been to chili shack I've been well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I think it's just the current fad where too many of the same thing open at the same time. We had burritos, then asian street food, and now this. They're probably trying to capitalise the Five Guys / Shake Shack trend in the states.

A fancy burger isn't something I do often, but every time I've been to chili shack I've been well impressed.

Chili Shack is great with Deliveroo, if I am getting a burger when around town I go to Bo'town, prob the nicest ive had in Galway. I have had Handsome when the were in Richardsons and didn't find them that amazing at all. Burgerstory is good also but they don't work with the delivery apps anymore so it's rare I get food from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

It would appear that corner is cursed though in terms of sustainable businesses. There is something kinda exposed about it.

It could be that there are too few seats for it to be profitable. However, Il Viccolo were successful there and have continued to do very well since they moved to Bridge Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It could be that there are too few seats for it to be profitable. However, Il Viccolo were successful there and have continued to do very well since they moved to Bridge Mills.

I does seem to have an awkward shape for fitting tables. Anybody thinking about trying it should go soon in case it doesn't last :D.

Food was great and the owners were lovely. Fingers crossed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I can't stress enough how great Petit Pois is. High end but not expensive or obnoxious. Recommend the 3 course with wine pairings. I almost don't want to tell people to keep them to ourselves. Menu changes monthly and there's always something good. I am in disbelief that I regularly see empty tables there. I would think they'd have a 3 week wait list. Time that the word gets out. Best kept secret in Galway.

http://lepetitpois.ie/menu-dishes/dinner/

Was there last night on your recommendation, thanks, it was very good. The owner did the wine pairings and you could tell he was passionate. Lamb confit was divine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

cefh17 wrote: »
    Was there last night on your recommendation, thanks, it was very good. The owner did the wine pairings and you could tell he was passionate. Lamb confit was divine

I'm a big fan of that place as well. It's been a while since I was there, this has reminded me I need to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

I'm a big fan of that place as well. It's been a while since I was there, this has reminded me I need to go back!

So glad to see this place getting some love. It's amazing and almost nobody seems to know about it. Up there with Kai as the best restaurant in Galway for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

theintern wrote: »
    So glad to see this place getting some love. It's amazing and almost nobody seems to know about it. Up there with Kai as the best restaurant in Galway for me.

I can only agree - Petit Pois is a fabulous place :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Lime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Da Paulino for Italian

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any nicer places for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dela is one of the best in town. The Kitchen down by Spanish arch is good too and I got a savage breakfast upstairs in McCambridges a few weeks ago. Or Handsome burger on dominic street for burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

The food in the Huntsman is fantastic. Not sure if they do “all day” breakfast but it’s delicious.
    Mr.Maroon wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

Someone just mentioned McCambridges which reminded me that I had the nicest burger I had ever eaten (really) when I was there about 6 months ago. Also very good for lunches, delicious soups and yummy treats for dessert

Advertisement