Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank account statements

Options
  • 24-01-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello

Can you please advise how long bank account statements are kept on record with Bank of Ireland.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi concreteslab2,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here.

We wouldn't keep documents for longer then seven years.

If we can help with anything else, give us a shout!

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 8 concreteslab2

Hi Lorna

Is there any way to access current account, term saving account, notice account, demand deposit account or savings account balance details from more than seven years ago?

As of today's date what is the earliest date that information from such accounts is available?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stu1986

Hi

I am wondering how to resolve this issue. I have received a statement advising I am overdrawn on an account that was supposedly set up 15 years ago. The first statement ever received was this year, apparently 16 years after the account was setup. Have called Bank of Ireland who advise that this account was setup on the same day and in the same location as my main Bank of Ireland account which I still utilise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Probably the easiest way is to make a formal complaint saying that you never set up the account. They are obliged to keep the account set up documentation for 6 years after you close the account (not saying you did). That record retention period is outlined in the Consumer Protection Code. They are obliged to deal with the complaint and if there is no evidence you set it up they will have to rescind everything. If they give you a final response letter saying that you did set it up then you can complain to the Financial Services Ombudsman. They would be obliged to provide evidence of all documentation that backs up their stance which are provided to you. But they would probably give you sight of that during their dealing of the complaint.

The drawback of that is the FSO has a backlog and can take time to deal with complaints. Therefore I would advise you do the complaint and if they give a final response that you did set it up but you won’t provide evidenc, formally do a data access request. They are obliged to provide all documentation and records
    That they hold on you within 40 days. That would include account opening forms or evidence of same. That should sort out your issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Stu1986 wrote: »
    Hi

I am wondering how to resolve this issue. I have received a statement advising I am overdrawn on an account that was supposedly set up 15 years ago. The first statement ever received was this year, apparently 16 years after the account was setup. Have called Bank of Ireland who advise that this account was setup on the same day and in the same location as my main Bank of Ireland account which I still utilise

Hi Stu1986,

We've replied to you in the new thread you created.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Lorna

Is there any way to access current account, term saving account, notice account, demand deposit account or savings account balance details from more than seven years ago?

As of today's date what is the earliest date that information from such accounts is available?

Thanks

Hi concreteslab2,

As we hold records for seven years only, it's not possible to access statements older than this. Records will go back seven years from today's date.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement