Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest install

Options
  • 24-01-2019 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there, I had a nest installed yesterday and results are unexpected. I previously had a boiler with a timer and on off with a wired thermostat which then controlled whether rads come on or off;
    So I could have hot water and rads or just hot water.

The installer installed the heat link replacing the timer but left the old thermostat to say whether rads are on or off.

Nest thermostat plugged in elsewhere. Thermostat working fine and when temp gets to desired temp switches off. However think this will mean I can’t get enough hot water. In summer I am to switch rads off using old thermostat and then control boiler by setting required temp higher than room temperature.

So I can manually override and get hot water on only. But not really what I signed up to.

I actually thought I was just replacing old thermostat now I have too. Phoned electric ireland who were no help and directed me to best who talked me through but not set up to control hot water. I think I have been conned. If the guy had asked I would have had a choice but went ahead and now feel annoyed.

I have seen this problem on other posts and don’t know if ever resolved satisfactorily. Will ask them to take out tomorrow if dont get satisfactory answer.

Just want to know how I can set up to get remote access to heating and get water heated which is what I believe I had signed up to.

Hopefully someone has resolved this

Fixing one problem and creating others with current solution

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

See electric Ireland forum for posts started by me.

Exact same thing happened and to others. They sent someone out to fix as the whole thing had to be rewired and thermostat mounted where the old one was.

It required a valve of sorts because Ireland plumbing if I recall is only one zone for hot water and rads. Hence why you have 2 thermostats you need 2 zones so nest can control both zones separately. I.e water without heat and heat without water controlled seperately. Pretty useless if you want remote function.

It's sorted now and the extra hardware was cheap enough but lots of man hours to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 as234

Rafloution wrote: »
    See electric Ireland forum for posts started by me.

Exact same thing happened and to others. They sent someone out to fix as the whole thing had to be rewired and thermostat mounted where the old one was.

It required a valve of sorts because Ireland plumbing if I recall is only one zone for hot water and rads. Hence why you have 2 thermostats you need 2 zones so nest can control both zones separately. I.e water without heat and heat without water controlled seperately. Pretty useless if you want remote function.

It's sorted now and the extra hardware was cheap enough but lots of man hours to fix.

Thanks I knew it was illogical but had little joy with electric ireland today. Better armed tomorrow- did electric ireland sort or did you have to source alternative supplier. Very annoying as wouldn’t have let them install if I’d known

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

I was early adopter so they sorted me as a goodwill gesture. Getting the 2 zones was the pain and then another plumber/ electrician to sort wiring.

But to be honest they should survey it and tell you the expected outcome. It's not for for purpose if they leave you with the old thermostat there.

As it is right now you can't have hot water on its own unless the manual thermostat is turned down, if you're not at home it's useless.

Advertisement