Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Item missing from postage envelope

Options
  • 24-01-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but recently I sent a letter to my mate with a small usb drive included in the envelope.
    A day later my mate received the letter but the drive is missing and envelope is sellotaped!!

I'm confused and giving An Post the benefit of the doubt that the drive came out of the envelope during transit but my mate is convinced someone took it for themselves and he is livid. The pen drive was not even worth a fiver and I've lost nothing in terms of files so I didn't send it registered post, but it is still pretty frustrating!

Anyone have any experience with this kind of carry on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

Did you put it in a normal envelope or a padded one?
    If it wasn't padded or reinforced it may have torn going through the automated sorting machine, allowing the usb to drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I had two birthdays cards with money go missing. Local postmen seem to spend half their day in paddy powers, but I don't know how cards went undelivered.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If you’re sending something small like that it’s best to bulk it up in my experience, letter sorting machines get jammed with small items, if the item fell out on route or in the sorting office how would they know who’s it was or where to send it.

Exactly this. I've sent a USB drive in an ordinary envelope a few times without issue.

I cut a piece of thick cardboard to the shape of the envelope. Then cut a hole in the middle of the cardboard to fit the drive into snugly. Tape it to the cardboard and then put in the envelope.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Happy4all wrote: »
    I had two birthdays cards with money go missing. Local postmen seem to spend half their day in paddy powers, but I don't know how cards went undelivered.

Only a clown sends cash by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Only a clown sends cash by post.

My 7 year old nephew in the US prefers a card with €20 than a bank transfer

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    My 7 year old nephew in the US prefers a card with €20 than a bank transfer

Case in point.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    What good is €20 if he’s in the us ?

He can post it back to his cousin for his birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

I posted it in a normal envelope with very little regard if I'm being honest. If they were important files that I had only the one copy of, or the drive cost me money I would have went about it differently. Just find it odd. Also the sellotape is very suspicious in a way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

I posted it in a normal envelope with very little regard if I'm being honest. If they were important files that I had only the one copy of, or the drive cost me money I would have went about it differently. Just find it odd. Also the sellotape is very suspicious in a way..

The Sellotape is standard if An Post see a ripped envelope. Not suspicious at all. If somebody was serious about stealing the drive they'd just discard the envelope..

Don’t they have their own tape, had an envelope delivered a while ago and was patched up on one edge with tape with an post on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Don’t they have their own tape, had an envelope delivered a while ago and was patched up on one edge with tape with an post on it.

Possibly, but I've often had ordinary tape put on damaged envelopes.

Advertisement