Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah i’d Imagine that would be grand.

I vaccinate here every year so i’ll stick with that.
    Doing that for the first time this year (have been intended in awhile)
    When and what will you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Doing that for the first time this year (have been intended in awhile)
    When and what will you use?

Use Rispoval 3 every year.
    2 injections 3-4 weeks apart, the second one a month before wearing.
    I think it costs about €12/calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

These are the ones we use.

http://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/Licence_VPA10996-152-001_25102018125044.pdf
    SC Inj - repeated again 4 weeks later.

http://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/Licence_VPA10996-172-001_09082017112609.pdf
    As this one is a live vaccine all in the same group have to be vaccinated.
    IM injection - cover lasts 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

These are the ones we use.

http://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/Licence_VPA10996-152-001_25102018125044.pdf
    SC Inj - repeated again 4 weeks later.

http://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/Licence_VPA10996-172-001_09082017112609.pdf
    As this one is a live vaccine all in the same group have to be vaccinated.
    IM injection - cover lasts 6 months.

Will be using the dead vaccine Option
    Intend to sell first weanlings end of Sep, I’d want to be giving first vaccine end of this Month so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

All done. 4 hrs including collecting and dropping scales back.

Just realised one cow has two calves on the list on ICBF.......might as well stick them in....twill prob be taken off at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

What is a good Vs average ADG? I'm trying to find some info around it

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Best of my bulls this year and last weighed 1.4 to 1.5kg/day.Ave would be 1.25/1.3/day.
    Heifers tops would be 1.3 to 1.35 kg/day and average would be 1.2/day.
    The lowest weights I find are from 1 and 2 star cows.They might look like they are good calves but could be weighing 0.3kg /day below the average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tagging deadline is moved to later in the year.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1280885716533293056?s=19

Tagging deadline is moved to later in the year.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1280885716533293056?s=19

Just typical
    Had to help a friend on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Typical indeed! I tagged one quiet fella in the field & a few w*nkers in the crush, only got a few tags as we hadn't enough born when they were sent out.
    Of course they then chose the crackers heifers with the final selections a fortnight ago so I changed to three pb bulls for hair samples instead. Was doing Rambo moves out the field to get them all and only got the last fella Monday & sent them off today.

Find the hair samples much easier if you've halfway quiet cattle. Get the calves while sucking or sneak up on them quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Typical indeed! I tagged one quiet fella in the field & a few w*nkers in the crush, only got a few tags as we hadn't enough born when they were sent out.
    Of course they then chose the crackers heifers with the final selections a fortnight ago so I changed to three pb bulls for hair samples instead. Was doing Rambo moves out the field to get them all and only got the last fella Monday & sent them off today.

Find the hair samples much easier if you've halfway quiet cattle. Get the calves while sucking or sneak up on them quietly.

Hard enough to pull the short hair from tip of tails of young calves though , can’t get a wrap around the finger like a cows tail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

sonnybill wrote: »
    Hard enough to pull the short hair from tip of tails of young calves though , can’t get a wrap around the finger like a cows tail

Pliers! Took a whole curl off one poor chap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

All Angus for me the bulls averaged 1.2 a day with top lads at 1.4. What I find great is this helps identify cows whose milk has lost its power.. for example I have a cow that always had Bull calves at 1.4 to 1.5 Add.. this year 1.1.. she is 12 now.. she is in calf and probably next calf will be her final one .. if she has a heifer she will stay as he other 2 daughters are great breeding cows as well

Stars And calf performance in my place are irrelevant.. the 2 and 3 stars cows are sticking up 1.3 plus a day on their calves. but they are off a stock bull that icbf stars did not like ..

It would be useful if icbf were to screw up stars on cows that calf only gains Ie 0.7 A day as regardless of cow size these cows are costing money as calves must be fed etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Anyone do the faecal egg testing yet? Is there any preferred time to do this, I only dose sucklers after housing so presumably any time before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

jfh wrote: »
    Anyone do the faecal egg testing yet? Is there any preferred time to do this, I only dose sucklers after housing so presumably any time before this?
    you have until November to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

jfh wrote: »

I was just wondering about this yesterday, can they be sample tested now? Had dosed cows at turnout, few of them gone very scuthery and one breathing a bit heavy at times so wondering if there could be some type of fluke there. Would like to get cracking on it

RD10 wrote: »
    I was just wondering about this yesterday, can they be sample tested now? Had dosed cows at turnout, few of them gone very scuthery and one breathing a bit heavy at times so wondering if there could be some type of fluke there. Would like to get cracking on it

Yes, we’ve it done

Yes, we’ve it done

What do they test for, is it liver fluke and rumen fluke?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

All your individual samples that you take are actually pooled together for testing and you get group results for liver fluke and also for rumen fluke.

• Advertisement

Attached is the approved labs, I'm going to call one today to ask them to send out containers, will know then if individual or pooled

Rumen & liver fluke
    We were low for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

How did ye send the samples I done mine here yesterday but dunno do they go by post or have I to use a courier ?

lab man wrote: »
    How did ye send the samples I done mine here yesterday but dunno do they go by post or have I to use a courier ?
    I rang Oldcastle and they arranged Courier
    Just remember Couriers are very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I recently bought 3 cows with calves born this spring, any one know if they would also be eligible for payment under the beep-s scheme ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

You can check your list of eligible animals under Beep on ICBF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

josephsoap wrote: »
    I recently bought 3 cows with calves born this spring, any one know if they would also be eligible for payment under the beep-s scheme ?
    Sugarbowl wrote: »
    You can check your list of eligible animals under Beep on ICBF

As sugar bowl says check them on ICBF, you'll see then if they are eligible. They may be eligible but not have a genotype taken in which case you'll have to pay the €22 per cow to test them.
    Double check the eligibility date also, I think its 2016, older than that and they won't be eligible

Does the weight recording need to be done through ICBF or can it be done through agfood?

A computer illiterate neighbour has an agfood account but I doubt he has ICBF. Had a quick look but couldn't see anything on agfood

Green&Red wrote: »
    Does the weight recording need to be done through ICBF or can it be done through agfood?

A computer illiterate neighbour has an agfood account but I doubt he has ICBF. Had a quick look but couldn't see anything on agfood

Icbf .. can download app.. I did it for father in law no problem. Just need password for icbf account

• Advertisement

When he books the scales ICBF will post him out the paperwork to record the weights manually and post them back afaik.
    I don’t think you can record weights on Agfood.

Can farmers who haven’t got herdplus record the weights on ICBF.com??

When he books the scales ICBF will post him out the paperwork to record the weights manually and post them back afaik.

Thanks for that, that makes sense.

Don’t think they can record, it comes after you login

Regarding the faecal egg sampling, would you be better off leaving it until pre housing as the fluke will be building up throughout the season rather than now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

As sugar bowl says check them on ICBF, you'll see then if they are eligible. They may be eligible but not have a genotype taken in which case you'll have to pay the €22 per cow to test them.
    Double check the eligibility date also, I think its 2016, older than that and they won't be eligible

I have cows on ICBF that are up to 11 years old and are qualifying as per my herd plus. 2016 would be 3rd calvers at best which would be n unfairly young age to exclude from.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Thanks I might give the ICBF a call tomorrow.

yes they can, once you get password you can use weight recording app

• Advertisement

I ordered the dung sampling kit from the lab in Elphin and they came in post today.

Is it ok to test away now, or is it more beneficial to wait a few weeks more?

I ordered the dung sampling kit from the lab in Elphin and they came in post today.

I doubt if it makes much difference, might as well do it the next time they’re in, it’ll be one more job ticked off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Katie 2018

What would the story be with weighing a cow an calf I want to sell.calf only 3 months old.would I need to do the whole herd together or could I do outfit I want to sell on their own???

Katie 2018 wrote: »
    What would the story be with weighing a cow an calf I want to sell.calf only 3 months old.would I need to do the whole herd together or could I do outfit I want to sell on their own???

I think you can weigh the outfit on their own once they’re weighed the same day.

Have you got your own scales or would you have to hire them out?

I've my own scales so no big job to weigh.i don't plan on weighing all cows an calves for another while

• Advertisement

I've my own scales so no big job to weigh.i don't plan on weighing all cows an calves for another while

Not so bad, i assume your scales are registered?

Yeh I done the scheme last year..bit more to do with it this time around but nothing I wasn't doing already meal feeding an that

Once the cow & calf pair are done at the same time it shouldn’t make a difference when they’re done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Yeh I done the scheme last year..bit more to do with it this time around but nothing I wasn't doing already meal feeding an that

It was €40 per pair last year. This year it is €90 with the options chosen. Along with the extra work comes extra money for once in farming.

Did many take the vaccine option?

I went for meal feeding as used to do it every year anyway. Would spend a good part of November gradually weaning off the calf here. Go from sucking once a day, to every 2nd day etc until the cow drys up, and leave the weanlings into grass for the day. They soon forget about the cow. The mart is packed with unweaned animals lately.

My vet has advised to wait unless the cows aren't thriving

I did, vaccinate every year anyway.

I did, vaccinate every year anyway.

Is it working out €20/calf?

About €12 i think for two shots of Rispoval 3.
    Don’t vaccinate for IBR, don’t know if i’ll have to for this scheme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement