Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Ah ok. He's thriving tbh but she always rears our best calf & would pick him out from the rest. Bit annoying if they exclude him

It is because of the cow's weight that he is being excluded from the report. I rang ICBF last year enquiring about two cows excluded from the report, I was told it was on account of their weights, around 875 kgs. but they would be included for payment regardless. They aim for a target of calf 42% to cow weight, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pure breed

Hi folks I'm sure this has been asked before, but who is the most suitable / cheapest lab to use for the dung samples. we are based in Clare. TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I went with the lab in Roscommon. Think it was 21e to purchase and I post them back for 6:50e unregistered.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I went with the lab in Roscommon. Think it was 21e to purchase and I post them back for 6:50e unregistered.

Any questions asked about the contents at the Post Office. There is special labeling and packaging for BVD samples, is it the same for faecal samples?

I paid €22 to Irish Equine centre as we have used them in the past.

Sugarbowl wrote:

Thanks Sugarbowl, that's who I just ordered off there €21 seems reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

When do the dung samples have to be returned by, I weighed all the cows and calves the other day and forgot to do them. Had the kit there and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

October 31st.

Any questions asked about the contents at the Post Office. There is special labeling and packaging for BVD samples, is it the same for faecal samples?

I paid €22 to Irish Equine centre as we have used them in the past.

No problem posting them for me anyway.... off they went. Looking forward to seeing what I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

I paid 24e with this crowd. Took samples today and posting in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

No problem posting them for me anyway.... off they went. Looking forward to seeing what I get back.

I got results today
    Basically all it said was liver fluke _ negative
    Roman fluke - negative
    That's it

• Advertisement

jd06 wrote:
    I got results today Basically all it said was liver fluke _ negative Roman fluke - negative That's it

What lab did you us?

pure breed wrote: »
    What lab did you us?

Elphin was the address

jd06 wrote: »
    I got results today
    Basically all it said was liver fluke _ negative
    Roman fluke - negative
    That's it

What do you use for liver fluke and rumen fluke and how often do you use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TL17

Has any one here have an audit of animals weighed?
    Is it just the weights that are checked. Or can other information be àsked for.I have been notified that I will have one next week

tanko wrote: »
    What do you use for liver fluke and rumen fluke and how often do you use them?

Just give the cows a shot of trodax in October every year and don't do anything for Rumen fluke
    Does this mean I dont have to do the this year?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

jd06 wrote: »
    Just give the cows a shot of trodax in October every year and don't do anything for Rumen fluke
    Does this mean I dont have to do the this year?!!!

Well if they don’t have it st this stage you should be safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’ve rumen fluke eggs present on mine, will use Zanil or levafas diamond on all the cows going to winterage

TL17 wrote: »
    Is it just the weights that are checked. Or can other information be àsked for.I have been notified that I will have one next week

Never came across an audit before. How long ago did you weigh them yourself? Did you weigh them accurately at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

TL17 wrote: »

A few years back ICBF identified some weanlings they wanted weighed. A fella called out and weighed the few and seperately we weighted some other older ones. The animals were housed so it was straight forward. This was before Beep and Beep-s.

You might need to have the following ready for an inspection.

Have your handwritten record from the day you did the weighing

Cow and calves have all their tags on

depending on whether you selected to do meal feeding or vaccines have records ready. (20% of applicants selected vaccines)

Meal dockets and evidence of meal feeding – keep a record and receipt of meal purchased, showing use by date, and amounts being fed.

Vaccines receipts and evidence of entry into the medicine herd register including date of vaccination and any booster.

Record of lung worm doses in the medicine herd register.

• Advertisement

My sample results are back already, got a low positive for rumen fluke and negative for liver fluke.

Have land that is susceptible to liver fluke and used to dose them every year for it so interesting to see that result.

Cows have not be dosed for anything in a good while so at least I’ve something to work off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

How long is it taking to get results,sent mine to the Irish Equine centre 3 weeks ago and no word yet

High bike wrote: »
    How long is it taking to get results,sent mine to the Irish Equine centre 3 weeks ago and no word yet

Got results from Oldcastle labs the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

tanko wrote: »
    Got results from Oldcastle labs the next day.
    That quick I better ring on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Did many of ye buy a scales for weighing in BEEP or do ye just rent one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Sami23 wrote: »
    Did many of ye buy a scales for weighing in BEEP or do ye just rent one ?

At €50 you would be mad to buy one

Same here renting the scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

At £350 it was hardly that crazy of an investment, handy thing to have around too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Warehouse-Weighing-Digital-Livestock/dp/B00OZUFO52/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=weigh+beam+scales&qid=1601191388&sr=8-3

50386968657_7797708c6e_c.jpgIMG_20200926_172121 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I already had the portable cattle crush, but many lads get platforms folded or just use a few scaffold planks bolted together.

I've calves to be weighed on 3 different blocks of land, so I'd find it very hard to get them all weighed on a single day or even a single weekend so it would cost me more than €50 to rent scales. If this scheme continues for a few years then the beam scale will be well worth it, but I had been considering getting a scale for a while anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

I rang a lab a couple of weeks back and the guy advised me to leave it until the end of the year for the dung sampling, I rang again there now as I'm anxious just to get it done but they're so busy, not taking any further samples, anyone recommend a lab?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

emaherx wrote: »
    At £350 it was hardly that crazy of an investment, handy thing to have around too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Warehouse-Weighing-Digital-Livestock/dp/B00OZUFO52/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=weigh+beam+scales&qid=1601191388&sr=8-3

I already had the portable cattle crush, but many lads get platforms folded or just use a few scaffold planks bolted together.

I've calves to be weighed on 3 different blocks of land, so I'd find it very hard to get them all weighed on a single day or even a single weekend so it would cost me more than €50 to rent scales. If this scheme continues for a few years then the beam scale will be well worth it, but I had been considering getting a scale for a while anyway.
    Much easier to weight with a portable crush than the platform. Experience of both and would avoid the platform at any cost. Put one in with a tams job wouldn't have done it otherwise. Hassle of having to rent one collect, wash drop back. Then having to weight all on the one day, add up the 50s for renting over the years and the ability to weight other cattle when you want, with grant aid. Doesn't be long getting to the price of buying one. Weighted and dosed 130 cattle this summer in 3hrs solo. Proper handling facilities payoff.

jfh wrote: »
    I rang a lab a couple of weeks back and the guy advised me to leave it until the end of the year for the dung sampling, I rang again there now as I'm anxious just to get it done but they're so busy, not taking any further samples, anyone recommend a lab?

Left the samples into Oldcastle labs recently and had the results the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Has that to be calibrated/inspected to be used for BEEP scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Last 2 years, I got a guy to come with his scales and weighted 40 calves and 38 cows for 112 euro, gave me a good hand too, hard to beat that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Left samples into Oldcastle yesterday and got a call with the results today, both liver and rumen fluke detected, not surprised as I seen a few of the cows have become scuttery in the last two - three weeks. Whats the best dosing to get rid of this a they would have gotten levafas diamond earlier in the year. Think trodax or Closamectin but the withdrawal of 60 days is a pain in the ass.

Has that to be calibrated/inspected to be used for BEEP scheme?

Well Its calibrated and I've tested with some known weights. It's registered for the beep scheme and available if they choose to inspect it.

It doesn't need to be inspected to be used but can be inspected if they choose. The scheme conditions only state a suitable scales must be used. It's a certified scales that can weigh upto 3 tonne.

• Advertisement

Much easier to weight with a portable crush than the platform. Experience of both and would avoid the platform at any cost. Put one in with a tams job wouldn't have done it otherwise. Hassle of having to rent one collect, wash drop back. Then having to weight all on the one day, add up the 50s for renting over the years and the ability to weight other cattle when you want, with grant aid. Doesn't be long getting to the price of buying one. Weighted and dosed 130 cattle this summer in 3hrs solo. Proper handling facilities payoff.

It's great, easy to pin them in and no option for them to try putting feet out either side.

Agree on proper handling facilities, there's still lots to be done here to have it the way I'd like, but I'm trying to make some improvements every year.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Left samples into Oldcastle yesterday and got a call with the results today, both liver and rumen fluke detected, not surprised as I seen a few of the cows have become scuttery in the last two - three weeks. Whats the best dosing to get rid of this a they would have gotten levafas diamond earlier in the year. Think trodax or Closamectin but the withdrawal of 60 days is a pain in the ass.

I got the same results as you. I’m going to go with Trodax for the liver fluke and Zanil for the rumen fluke.
    Levafas diamond onlly works against adult liver fluke i think.

I'm complete with the Beep S
    Weighing
    Dung sampling
    Vaccination bovipast RSP x2 and 1IBR.
    Did the second bovipast RSP and IBR today. Wanted to have it done before the weather changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Hi All, two questions on two jobs after weighting which I did two months ago. If I collect the dung samples and send to local accredited lab do I need to input any results received via ICBF or is that done by lab on my behalf? Secondly for the meal feeding where do I input/confirm that I've completed that element on ICBF? Apologies if answered already.

The lab will notify the dept. Probably similar to the labs doing the BVD tag testing

Retain your meal receipts and record when you have started and completed this action.

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Hi All, two questions on two jobs after weighting which I did two months ago. If I collect the dung samples and send to local accredited lab do I need to input any results received via ICBF or is that done by lab on my behalf? Secondly for the meal feeding where do I input/confirm that I've completed that element on ICBF? Apologies if answered already.

The lab should notify the department that you have done the dung samples.
    You’re supposed to discuss the results with your vet and dose accordingly if needed and record what you used.
    You don’t record the meal feeding on ICBF, just hold onto the meal dockets/receipts and keep a record of the dates you fed the meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Thanks both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I had a BGDP inspection last week an the chap from the department recorded I was feeding meal for the BEEPs scheme as he could see the calves going into a shed to eat, I hadn't the weights done but he said if had he was to check them too.. in that just look at the calves and see if in his opinion the weights recorded reflected the size of the calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Well Its calibrated and I've tested with some known weights. It's registered for the beep scheme and available if they choose to inspect it.

It doesn't need to be inspected to be used but can be inspected if they choose. The scheme conditions only state a suitable scales must be used. It's a certified scales that can weigh upto 3 tonne.

Thanks for that, good to know. 4 farmers near me got together and bought a scales between them, might be a way to go as weighing can be planned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Aravo wrote: »

Vaccination bovipast RSP x2 and 1IBR.

Do you have to do both? I would normally do Bovipast x 2 and assume that's enough for the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

For the faecal sampling option - is it possible to sample a selection of weanlings instead of doing the cows?

Do you have to do both? I would normally do Bovipast x 2 and assume that's enough for the scheme.

There are a number of options available.
    But ensure you are scheme compliant and contact your vet and check.
    IBR is in the scheme T&C's. The IBR i used is a live vaccine that when you mix one bottle with the other the vaccine comes alive.

Earnshaw wrote: »
    For the faecal sampling option - is it possible to sample a selection of weanlings instead of doing the cows?

T&C's states cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Earnshaw wrote: »

You will be filling 10 pots with faeces - and then writing down diligently on a list the numbers of the 10 cows you have sampled......

The 10 pots are all then pooled together and tested as one pooled sample - So not traceable back to any individual cow. The phrase “full of sh*t” comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

I weighed the cows and calves on Saturday and uploaded to icbf but got a weanling performance report today with the 2 youngest excluded cos they're under 100 days old. Does this make any difference regarding payment? Didn't think it did

• Advertisement
Advertisement