Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Does anyone know if Enfer Labs test the dung samples,I send my bvd samples there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Very easy do dung sample in a field, cattle all lying down, walk up to them, they stand up and shiit, very easy

Did this yesterday evening, just takes a bit of patience. It took 45min for 10 from the 19 i have to go!

Samples sent back this morning so be interesting to see the results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

High bike wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Enfer Labs test the dung samples,I send my bvd samples there
    AFAIK they don't do dung samples. I also send our bvd sample there but send dung samples to Oldcastle labs. I suppose I should send the bvd's to Oldcastle but it's hard to change a habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Do we just go away and order a dung test from one of the labs? Is there any other formality to be done on ICBF etc to submit that we have done it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Do we just go away and order a dung test from one of the labs? Is there any other formality to be done on ICBF etc to submit that we have done it?

rang Animal health labs bandon ( do my bvd) 25 euro and they send U the test kit

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pure breed

Sugarbowl wrote:

Looks like it.
    I Rang the Dept about Beep s and there is a voice message saying they aren't taking calls about Beep Scheme due to Covid 19, sent a email. Not much good asking my oul lad and similar to him to send an email. lazy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Elphin told me they notify the department

Base price wrote: »
    AFAIK they don't do dung samples. I also send our bvd sample there but send dung samples to Oldcastle labs. I suppose I should send the bvd's to Oldcastle but it's hard to change a habit.
    Your right they don’t I rang this morning,got on to the Equine Centre 22 e for the 10 samples including postage results in 24 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

Got my sample bottles from Oldcastle. They are huge each one holds 100ml. The dept. Docs state a heaped teaspoonful of material per sample. Home much is needed to test a sample. I ain't fillings the things or half filling them. Would 30ml be enough. I see it cost approx. e15 to courier out the empty bottles to me.
    Anyone used Oldcastle recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

I have entered the scheme and just wondering on something. I have had my last 2 cows calf there during week and that means both cow will have 2 calves in the reference period as they both had calves last July. Will I get paid for 2 calves to one cow. Still have the July 2019 calves on Farm.

• Advertisement

TPF2012 wrote: »
    I have entered the scheme and just wondering on something. I have had my last 2 cows calf there during week and that means both cow will have 2 calves in the reference period as they both had calves last July. Will I get paid for 2 calves to one cow. Still have the July 2019 calves on Farm.
    f they calved twice in the reference period don't see why not, sure just weigh em and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

From T&C's weighing Requirement 2 - Unweaned live calf and dam to be weighed on same day.

Aravo wrote: »
    From T&C's weighing Requirement 2 - Unweaned live calf and dam to be weighed on same day.
    well that answers that question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Aravo wrote: »
    Got my sample bottles from Oldcastle. They are huge each one holds 100ml. The dept. Docs state a heaped teaspoonful of material per sample. Home much is needed to test a sample. I ain't fillings the things or half filling them. Would 30ml be enough. I see it cost approx. e15 to courier out the empty bottles to me.
    Anyone used Oldcastle recently

Used them, very satisfied
    It costs €15 to courier back too unless you use post office
    If using Courier give Oldcastle a days notice as Couriers are very busy

I filled the cup from 1 cow, that’s all we needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

I'm nearly sure that I got paid on a few like this last year

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭irishguy19772

Can I just ask about last year's cows. If they are already weaned last Oct, what is the reason for collecting data on them this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Magic A

Green&Red wrote: »
    You can see them the next day, I did it last year. You’ll need to take the dung sample before you sell I’d imagine

Also if you have selected the meal feeding option you have to feed meal 4 weeks before weaning and 2 weeks after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Can I just ask about last year's cows. If they are already weaned last Oct, what is the reason for collecting data on them this year?

If they weaned last October surely they have another calf at foot at this point?

If not they should be hanging up.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭irishguy19772

No. They are due to calve in next few weeks. My question is I have 5 calves from cows this year that need weaning. I also have 2 from last year that seem to be part of the scheme, but since they are already weaned should I just exclude then?

• Advertisement

No. They are due to calve in next few weeks. My question is I have 5 calves from cows this year that need weaning. I also have 2 from last year that seem to be part of the scheme, but since they are already weaned should I just exclude then?

Exclude nothing
    Weigh everything, maybe now & later in the year
    2 calves is €180
    Maybe you might not be paid on them, but if you exclude you’ll definitely not be paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The worst that will happen is you’ll know how your calves are performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I had similar last year with a few and weighed they were only weaned a short while so no big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Micey.ie

If you are recording weights on ICBF,you will see what animals are eligible at present for the scheme.
    It was another ill thought scheme where closing date was 15th May,where calves born in July August and September last year would have been weaned off cows by closing date by a lot of farmers.
    The weaning part of the scheme is very vague-there doesn’t appear anywhere to record weaning date or introduce meal feeding.The previous scheme had dates to record this and you were penalised if you sold weanlings that weren’t at least 2 weeks off cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Micey.ie wrote: »
    If you are recording weights on ICBF,you will see what animals are eligible at present for the scheme.
    It was another ill thought scheme where closing date was 15th May,where calves born in July August and September last year would have been weaned off cows by closing date by a lot of farmers.
    The weaning part of the scheme is very vague-there doesn’t appear anywhere to record weaning date or introduce meal feeding.The previous scheme had dates to record this and you were penalised if you sold weanlings that weren’t at least 2 weeks off cow.
    Just says u need weaning dates and invoices , how much ration per animal is very vague by them

Is there any minimum age that the calves must reach before being sold.. as I plan on moving a few at 8 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Bellview wrote: »
    Is there any minimum age that the calves must reach before being sold.. as I plan on moving a few at 8 months

I don’t think there’s a minimum age but they prefer them weighed between 150-250 days old i think, 8 months old is fine anyway as long as you weigh each cow and unweaned calf unit on the same day.

tanko wrote: »
    I don’t think there’s a minimum age but they prefer them weighed between 150-250 days old i think, 8 months old is fine anyway as long as you weigh each cow and unweaned calf unit on the same day.

Where did you see the 150-250 days? I was going to weigh next week when I'm dosing. Calves born from March to May

Where did you see the 150-250 days? I was going to weigh next week when I'm dosing. Calves born from March to May

Checked the t&c’s, there’s no mention of it, I must have been thinking of last years scheme.

For this years scheme it says that the dept will write to farmers suggesting a 4 week window in which they would like us to weigh calves and cows but there doesn’t seem to be any penalty if weighing is done outside this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Base price wrote: »

They're not doing the dung sample as the government have them doing corvid 19 tests a lady from there told me there on Friday when I was looking for test pots she told me to ring old castle too

I think it’s preferred they are weighed between 200 to 300 days .. but not a condition for payment as last year I weighed a lad that was 6 weeks old and I got paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes 3 of mine last year were not old enough & then excluded from ths performance report but I still got paid on them all.

Have a scales ordered on the ICBF site for 8th July but need to change it and cant see a facility on the site to do it, does anyone know if it can be done on line or do I ring about it??

Have a scales ordered on the ICBF site for 8th July but need to change it and cant see a facility on the site to do it, does anyone know if it can be done on line or do I ring about it??

I don’t know if you can do it online but if you ring the place you’re getting the scales from they should be able to change it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

Do you need to be registered with ICBF?

Do you need to be registered with ICBF?

No, they’ll send you out the paperwork
    It is easier if you have herdplus but it’s €60/yr

If a cow has twins but 1 is born dead
    Are you paid on both or just the live calf?

I’d say just the live calf. I had a still born calf here and the cow did not qualify for payment.

Did the weighing today. Very interesting to see differences between cows & different bulls. My first 2 calves lodge Hamlet & knell at 205kg & 195kg at 112 days. Cows only 554kg & 620kg

Did the weighing today. Very interesting to see differences between cows & different bulls. My first 2 calves lodge Hamlet & knell at 205kg & 195kg at 112 days. Cows only 554kg & 620kg

Are they first calvers?

Cow hex with lodge Hamlet a 2nd Calver & other with knell first Calver aax.

• Advertisement

I’ve the weighing done here too. The heifers are outperforming the bulls....
    A SA heifer off a 3 star white head cow was 191 kg after 98 days with ADG of 1.53.

A CH heifer off a 5 star Saler cow with great milk was 182 kg after 84 days with ADG of 1.63

Use AI so all dates of births are accurate here. Had already picked them out as replacements so delighted with how they were going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

what about the meal and weaning date etc, doesnt seem to be any option to add this info to the icbf site as of yet anyway

Keep receipts for any meal you buy, i assume they’ll have to be sent in at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Where can I see the date that I'm to weigh them or is it a time after July 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Where can I see the date that I'm to weigh them or is it a time after July 1st

You can weight them when ever as long as they are born before the first of July and are unweaned.

I am weighing tomorrow as there are a few from late last year that are approaching weaning.

Keep receipts for any meal you buy, i assume they’ll have to be sent in at some stage.
    there doesn’t seem to be any minimum amount of meal to be fed,just before and after weaning is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

893bet wrote: »
    You can weight them when ever as long as they are born before the first of July and are unweaned.

I am weighing tomorrow as there are a few from late last year that are approaching weaning.

Thanks. Mine are March April and a couple over the last few days snuck in. I'll probably weigh them asap.
    Thanks

there doesn’t seem to be any minimum amount of meal to be fed,just before and after weaning is that right?

It says that enough should be fed to give an adequate level of nutrition.
    It’s a bit vague.

It says that enough should be fed to give an adequate level of nutrition.
    It’s a bit vague.
    so I suppose 1 to 2 kgs a day?

• Advertisement

so I suppose 1 to 2 kgs a day?

Yeah i’d Imagine that would be grand.

I vaccinate here every year so i’ll stick with that.

Advertisement