Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work have deducted money paid to me

Options
  • 24-01-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Money for? Bike to work? Tax saver? Social welfare for sick leave? Overpaid annual leave?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It really depends on what it was for, did they overpay you by accident or what was the cause/reason for the deduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

G

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sadie1502 wrote: »
    It was part of a bonus. I wasn't overpaid. They pay part of it in December it was a prepaid debit card. I handed my notice in January. They didn't pay the rest of the bonus and took back 500 without any discussion with me.

Did they stall the debit card or did they short your wage packet by 500euro?

The rest of the bonus I have no idea, it depends on a multitude of things, did they just say you were getting it or do you have it written down somewhere that you were definitely getting it, and were any conditions attached.

its very hard to say anything as it is not really clear exactly what has happened.

Have they shorted your due wages by 500euro or have they not paid a bonus you were expecting that was 500euro? Did they cancel the card they gave you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It was part of a bonus. I wasn't overpaid. They pay part of it in December it was a prepaid debit card. I handed my notice in January. They didn't pay the rest of the bonus and took back 500 without any discussion with me.

Perhaps the bonus had conditions attached, (like not quiting the next month) which you broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi all
    If you can shed some light please.

Work have deducted money paid to me in December in my Januarys wages without any notification or consent. Is this legal ? My contract states that I have to agree to such deductions in advance. I was never approached nothing was discussed ever. Can you advise on how I should deal with this and is this legal. I am currently working my notice which i handed in to them early January. Thanks

On your payslip it tells you what the deduction was for. What does it say?

T

T

T

It says -500.00 profit share bonus.

So the bonus is 500+ and now you’ve been refused the bonus.
    Interesting. Is there small print about the bonus in your contract/staff handbook?

• Advertisement

H

No not in my contract apparently we were told if but not in handbook or contract if you leave before 28th Jan you get nada.

That aside can they just take it back without discussing or can they do what they like?

If you were told that if you leave before Jan 28 that you won’t get the bonus then why are surprised that you’ve lost it?

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you were told that if you leave before Jan 28 that you won’t get the bonus then why are surprised that you’ve lost it?

I wasnt. Thats my point. I wasnt told anything. I was told now after the fact.

You said apparently we were told. Meaning that the company seems to think you were told.

To answer your other question, they can deduct from your salary where warranted. It's not uncommon for companies to have a time requirement on bonus payments. They're acutely aware that staff will often limp over the line knowing there's a bonus coming and then leave.

Which, to be honest, sounds exactly like what you're doing.

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    You said apparently we were told. Meaning that the company seems to think you were told.

To answer your other question, they can deduct from your salary where warranted. It's not uncommon for companies to have a time requirement on bonus payments. They're acutely aware that staff will often limp over the line knowing there's a bonus coming and then leave.

Which, to be honest, sounds exactly like what you're doing.

Well no limping over that line for five and a half years. But thats another story.

Ill get onto the workplace relations thanks

Right but you knew there was a bonus coming and obviously you decided to quit as soon as you were paid rather than a month ago.

There's no point going onto workplace relations until you've spoken to HR and raised the issue.

You need the company to provide evidence that you were informed of this condition.

T

R

G

T

• Advertisement

T

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

T

What were you at?

Patww79 wrote: »
    What were you at?

Im trying to delete it.

G

H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Why are you posting a load of random letters?

Why are you posting a load of random letters?

Because I'm trying to delete the information that i have posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Because I'm trying to delete the information that i have posted.

Edit the posts and you can delete them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement