Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car battery on Kia Ceed

• 24-01-2019 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Kia Ceed. Battery is dead. I use jump leads and get it takes about 5 mins to get working again. Then it goes again. Takes another 5 mins with the jump leads. Then it goes again. Thinking battery is dead and I am best off to get it to place that sells car batteries and just install myself a lot of which are open Sat. morning. That is a lot easier than trying to arrange something with mechanic.

I believe the batteries go every 5 years or so. The car is 2008 and I have had for 4.5 years so think this is it. Reckon new batter will cost 250 and they will fit in shop.

So I don't know much about the cars. Should I check anything else before doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would imagine €150 would be more like it, try to get one with a 3-5 year warranty, worth spending the extra to have that.

It could potentially be the alternator gone too and no charge going to the battery, place your getting battery should be able to measure charge coming from alternator to rule that out but given the time of year and weather odds are battery is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

€250 is a mad price for a battery.

Go into your local motor factors and ask them for a new one they will even fit in most cases if needs be.

I would be saying no more then €110/120.

I get discount so would be much less.

Try a few and price them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Go to a motor factors, they'll throw it in for u, e100 should do it.
    Shouldn't take 5-10 minutes to jump start it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

enricoh wrote: »
    Go to a motor factors, they'll throw it in for u, e100 should do it.
    Shouldn't take 5-10 minutes to jump start it though.

Would if battery is cooked....

Some think just putting cables on it will do it when most of the time you need to increase revs in working car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Would imagine €150 would be more like it, try to get one with a 3-5 year warranty, worth spending the extra to have that.

It could potentially be the alternator gone too and no charge going to the battery, place your getting battery should be able to measure charge coming from alternator to rule that out but given the time of year and weather odds are battery is gone.

Sorry, I am pretty thick. How would I know if it is the alternator gone? As opposed to battery dieing. Reason why I think it is the battery is because when I charge it via jumps I can drive in but if I leave it for a while the batter is dead again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry, I am pretty thick. How would I know if it is the alternator gone? As opposed to battery dieing. Reason why I think it is the battery is because when I charge it via jumps I can drive in but if I leave it for a while the batter is dead again.

You need a multimeter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Hi,
    I have a Kia Ceed. Battery is dead. I use jump leads and get it takes about 5 mins to get working again. Then it goes again. Takes another 5 mins with the jump leads. Then it goes again. Thinking battery is dead and I am best off to get it to place that sells car batteries and just install myself a lot of which are open Sat. morning. That is a lot easier than trying to arrange something with mechanic.

I believe the batteries go every 5 years or so. The car is 2008 and I have had for 4.5 years so think this is it. Reckon new batter will cost 250 and they will fit in shop.

So I don't know much about the cars. Should I check anything else before doing this?

Thanks

You could get a digital voltmeter and put it on the terminals of the battery and see what the voltage is when the engine is running, even if it is the alternator, your battery might be done in at this point anyway. If the battery voltage is good with the engine running then the alternator output could be good.
    That said, you would be best going to get someone to do this for you as it may have been caused/helped by some other problem like loose terminals.
    Been a while since I looked at batteries, but your 250 figure is way out, get someone to do it for you, sounds like its the better thing to do. Motor factor might do it for you, or ring and ask price of batteries and ask will they do it before you buy. amp-hour rating on battery should tell you size you're looking for, but Im sure a motor factors will know, absed on car/engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

€250 is a mad price for a battery.

Go into your local motor factors and ask them for a new one they will even fit in most cases if needs be.

I would be saying no more then €110/120.

I get discount so would be much less.

Try a few and price them up.

Stop start batterys incl fitting and coding will cost 250 or more.
    I would assume the kia isnt stop start though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

9935452 wrote: »

Correct AFAIK, they didn’t get stop start till 2009,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

A normal battery should be grand. My 2010 Kia C'eed didn't even have stop start (thank god)

• Advertisement

The ecodynamics one have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Can you put a normal battery into a stop start car if stop start is disabled?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Can you put a normal battery into a stop start car if stop start is disabled?

That depends. Some batteries nowadays are AGM (absorbent glass mat) type and are run by a battery management system, so swapping out to a regular lead acid battery wouldn’t go well.
    That doesn’t apply in all cases of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

1874 wrote: »
    You could get a digital voltmeter and put it on the terminals of the battery and see what the voltage is when the engine is running...

Battery ie fcuked and only showing this when cranking the engine. OP you need to see the voltage drop when you turn the key to start. You more than likely need a new battery - especially if it's 5 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

9935452 wrote: »

Thats a bit sickening, have heard of absorbant glass mat with regard to batteries, looking it up, it is what I thought it would be, and appears to just be a different construction type of lead acid batteries.
    Not sure what the coding is involved, is there another connection on batteries now other than the positive and negative terminals? seems like added inconvenience and cost, and not sure for what benefit, well aside from stop-start which I think was a just a means to jimmy co2 results.
    Looking at a few youtube clips, AGM batteries seem to be more sensitive to charging, but you'd think inbuilt electronics in the car should manage that? so coding the battery to the car, seems like its just matching some parameters of the car charging circuit to the battery parameters, does that mean the battery has its own PCB? whether it does or it doesnt, it seems like it should be a reasonably simple task and gettig excessively charged for it might not reflect the actual work involved.
    Think Id just prefer lead acid batteries rather than start-stop.

newmember? wrote: »
    Battery ie fcuked and only showing this when cranking the engine. OP you need to see the voltage drop when you turn the key to start. You more than likely need a new battery - especially if it's 5 years old.

I didnt see where the OP said that? the output of the battery when running will show if the alternator is giving a good output supply voltage though, the battery voltage would drop when cranking too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

1874 wrote: »
    Thats a bit sickening, have heard of absorbant glass mat with regard to batteries, looking it up, it is what I thought it would be, and appears to just be a different construction type of lead acid batteries.
    Not sure what the coding is involved, is there another connection on batteries now other than the positive and negative terminals? seems like added inconvenience and cost, and not sure for what benefit, well aside from stop-start which I think was a just a means to jimmy co2 results.
    Looking at a few youtube clips, AGM batteries seem to be more sensitive to charging, but you'd think inbuilt electronics in the car should manage that? so coding the battery to the car, seems like its just matching some parameters of the car charging circuit to the battery parameters, does that mean the battery has its own PCB? whether it does or it doesnt, it seems like it should be a reasonably simple task and gettig excessively charged for it might not reflect the actual work involved.
    Think Id just prefer lead acid batteries rather than start-stop.

Having to code batteries isnt limited to stop start cars.
    You are meant to code audi batteries too which dont have stop start

My understanding of the coding is telling the car you have a new battery.

That It will charge up the battery fully. and stop when its full.
    If you never told it had a new battery it would stop charging it when its at the same level as the old battery.

BMW have an ED model efficient dynamics which only charges when you take the foot off the accelerator to bring down emmissions

Advertisement