Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW E60 520D oil amount?

• 24-01-2019 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Getting an oil change on my 520D next week and going to buy the oil and filter online. I'm seeing people recommend 5W30 fully synthetic for the engine but I've seen conflicting info on how much I'll need for an oil change. Would 5 litres be enough?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like 5.2 litres, have a look on the oil selector on castrol.co.uk for the exact engine amount, there's a few different revisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers for that, handy site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

It's nearly 6 litres. Done it quite a few times.
    Found buying the oil from the main dealer was the cheapest.

Main dealer only sell in 1 litres at a cost of €18 ea, but if you buy in bulk you get them for €11. I paid €66 for 6 litres 2 months ago.

I couldn't get 6 litres of castrol 5/30 edge anywhere for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It needs to be LL04 spec fully synthetic oil, 5W30 will be fine. They take either 4.5 or 5.2 litres depending on year and engine from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Sign up to BMW first for 20% of parts, and a free set of wipers for 5 euro/month, and cancel after first month. (I am not certain if 20% off only applies to parts fitted by BMW themselves so double check that if doing it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

It needs to be LL04 spec fully synthetic oil, 5W30 will be fine. They take either 4.5 or 5.2 litres depending on year and engine from what I remember.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-magnatec-5w30-c3-oil-4-litre

25 for 4 litres
    was 18 at christmas and another 10 % off with the group scheme discount
    i got 3 x 4 ltr containers for 50 ish, 2 services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

5.2 litres does my 520d.
    i would only ever put 0w30 Castrol Edge.
    it's expensive but it goes without saying, oil is so vital to your engine.

don't get me started on oil viscosities.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

It's nearly 6 litres. Done it quite a few times.
    Found buying the oil from the main dealer was the cheapest.

Main dealer only sell in 1 litres at a cost of €18 ea, but if you buy in bulk you get them for €11. I paid €66 for 6 litres 2 months ago.

I couldn't get 6 litres of castrol 5/30 edge anywhere for less.

You are right, it is expensive oil and it is worth that money. I could get it only 6EUR cheaper, not reason to mess with that price difference.

Advertisement