Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x02 - "New Eden" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 25-01-2019 3:56am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So they're being manipulated into doing various good deeds, does this season even have a big bad villain?

I note the pointed efforts to fill in background to some of the bridge crew, as well as simply more lines for them overall. A bit late but welcome.

It's also a relief they avoided some stereotypical sci-fi stuff, e.g. the colonists try to burn them as witches upon seeing their tech, that kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Very much felt like a Trek episode, i think its moving in the right direction and like the direction so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Directed by the original "Number 1" Jonathan Frakes. Loved it. I understand how different people struggle with different characters, (personally I'm struggling to empathise with Stamets) but how is that any different to real life. I'm starting to wonder though if this angel is related to the Caretaker from Voyager.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This is a really good episode but it feels like they condensed a film into 55 and it suffers from a pace that is too fast and too hurried at times - it relied too much on narrative explaining everything to the audience. I have a few gripes but that's the same with any episode of TV.

It felt very like a traditional trek story so I think that will appease some (but of course, not all) Trek fans. The wider season arc is beginning to reveal itself. Episode 1 sees them react to a red signal and pick up a Dark Matter asteroid. Episode 3 sees them react to a second red burst to prevent a catastrophe with an object picked up because of the first burst. Are they being guided to intervene? As mentioned, this season will be about science vs faith so it's being set up well.

Tilly's ghost is something of curveball but I think that might have something to do with the green light that fell on her in the final episode of season 1.

I would like to see some episodes where Michael takes a bit of a back seat though. I can understand why some posters are annoyed by her character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Really enjoyed that episode. Looking forward to more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

As others have said felt like classic trek with a problem to solve (/away mission) within the episode.

Have we some Q like being (/omnipotent being) interfering/guiding discovery's path?

220px-Q_portrait.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Absolutely brilliant episode.

A nice mix of old Trek and new Trek. It also now has me interested in the Red Angel mystery.

Great dialogue and nice to have a lack of pew pew pew

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

More rambling disjointed thoughts.

I like that there's more of a sense of mystery in this. Where season 1 had it's surprise twists, this season refrains from just laying it all out on a platter.

Is Chief Reno gone completely already? They made a bit of PR noise when she was cast, so I'm assuming she'll reappear later.

If the avatar of May Ahern/Tillys ghost is coming from the mycelial network, that fits with Stamets comments about the network recording/mirroring things, including people. But the avatar provided info on how to save the colonists, so is it actively opposing the red angel or just sympathetic to Tilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Loved it! Proper Trek episode. Great stuff :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very pleased with that episode. It definitely captures that old fashioned Star Trek spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The dialogue felt grindy and stilted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As already said, a very traditional Trek episode, with the flourish and budget of a modern show. It felt more cinematic than the actual "prewarp agrarian society" film, Insurrection)

And there's definitely a mandate to give the other crew members more lines and input; once more the helm get to take part in the adventure, though the lady who joined the away party didn't really do much (other than break the team out from the cellar). Keep up that good work, kill of Burnham and it can be a show about Pike, Saru, Tilly and co.

So... Tillys ghost then? I'm thinking something to do with the spore network ala the dead doctor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to say I am glad I watched that as it was a really good episode and very like Star Trek of old. I did think it seemed a little rushed in parts and could have done with another 5 to 10 minutes. Its strange the first episode got an hour and this one is shorter. I do think they could have took the residents of that planet as they were from Earth. They could have just asked if they wanted to go home to Earth or not as they were from Earth I think the Prime Directive does not apply unless they were very primitive like the 37's in Voyager for instance. Of course then Discovery would have to make the jump a few hundred times if they all wanted to go back to Earth as I doubt they could carry them all in one go. They could have at least asked Jason he seemed to have no problem understanding and was not brainwashed by religion.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

flazio wrote: »
    Directed by the original "Number 1" Jonathan Frakes. Loved it. I understand how different people struggle with different characters, (personally I'm struggling to empathise with Stamets) but how is that any different to real life. I'm starting to wonder though if this angel is related to the Caretaker from Voyager.

Franks isn't the original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Really enjoyed that episode, Red Angel is becoming very interesting.

Ms

So I just finished watching episode 5 of the Orville and I know some people like it and some don't but I am watching both shows. Its a really good episode too and goes to show why some things in Star Trek are right namely a certain directive even do it gets broke sometimes. The Union has a different view but I would say after this episode they might be reviewing it. The episode is really good oh and there is a new security officer too who I have to say I like.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

How did Burnham pick up that rock in the last episode if 1cm^3 has a mass of over 1000kg?

Evade wrote: »
    How did Burnham pick up that rock in the last episode if 1cm^3 has a mass of over 1000kg?

I said the exact same thing to my wife earlier.

Probably some handwaving about gravemetric fields working in opposition or some such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Evade wrote: »

Probably something to do with being in a different gravity field, dark matter and all that, kinda makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Thoroughly enjoyed that one. Proper Trek storyline, hints at a wider story arc.

Frakes did a great job directing it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Franks isn't the original

I'm open to correction but wasn't Patrick Stewart the first to call their commander "No.1"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

flazio wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but wasn't Patrick Stewart the first to call their commander "No.1"?

Pike in the cage calls Majel Barret No1. First ever ep of Trek.

Loved this ep, first time I felt like I was watching proper old school Star Trek and not the JJ type stuff. I’ve really enjoyed discovery , but that one was good for me. Really like pike too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Decent episode. Cool to see more development of the timeline around World War 3
    Pike in the cage calls Majel Barret No1. First ever ep of Trek.

I was thinking about her absense during the computer voice parts of this episode :(

This is the first Trek series she's not involved in

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

While I think season 1 was very good, I don’t think it’s very rewatchable. Both episodes this year don’t have that issue here. Watched this episode again with my wife this morning. Enjoyed it again and the fast pace didn’t bother me as much.

Great scene between Pike and Jason in the end.

As for the red angel, there are very few races we know are capable of instant transportation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FutureGuy wrote: »
    While I think season 1 was very good, I don’t think it’s very rewatchable.

Yeah I felt the same. Loved season 1 but most of the excitement came from the plot twists and cliffhangers. Once you know what's coming, it's not the same.

Is it too early to say that Pike is the new Star of the show.
    While the story is heavily centered on Michael, he is stealing every scene he's in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Acosta

Enjoyable but so far thought season one was better. There's a big Jason Isaacs hole in this new season. Thought he was the best thing about the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

That episode out a smile on my face!:pac:

There was not much to dislike about it at all, but I am willing to make the effort: :pac:
    - The phaser incident did throw me out of the moment. Full marks to Pike for doing his Captain America thing but what was happening with the phaser? If that girl had fired the phaser surely something would have been phased/melted immediately? If she had set it to overload then there should have been the loud whining sound for several minutes while it builds up to overload, plus if it had overloaded the whole village would be toast. I just don't get how a phaser can make a small explosion that breaks someones ribs? If they are going to make a fetish out of sticking to canon (Spock, the Enterprise etc) then they need to look after these details.

This is how its really done: Double Red Alert :D

- I couldn't help but think that if Picard was there he would have invited that "scientist" dude to come with them after he revealed the Prime directive secret to him. Bit of a missed opportunity?

-In some ways this ep was too traditional, too conventional?

Enough whinging out of me - really enjoyed the ep and looking forward to future eps with renewed hope!

Pike was brilliant. well they all were.
    tilly ghost probs something to do with the spore drive, agreed

I like how they turned the locals stereotype on its head - set it up with the ominous bible quotes than bam, we're all besties. great stuff

• Advertisement
    Ms

That episode out a smile on my face!:pac:

There was not much to dislike about it at all, but I am willing to make the effort: :pac:
    - The phaser incident did throw me out of the moment. Full marks to Pike for doing his Captain America thing but what was happening with the phaser? If that girl had fired the phaser surely something would have been phased/melted immediately? If she had set it to overload then there should have been the loud whining sound for several minutes while it builds up to overload, plus if it had overloaded the whole village would be toast. I just don't get how a phaser can make a small explosion that breaks someones ribs? If they are going to make a fetish out of sticking to canon (Spock, the Enterprise etc) then they need to look after these details.

This is how its really done: Double Red Alert :D

- I couldn't help but think that if Picard was there he would have invited that "scientist" dude to come with them after he revealed the Prime directive secret to him. Bit of a missed opportunity?

-In some ways this ep was too traditional, too conventional?

Enough whinging out of me - really enjoyed the ep and looking forward to future eps with renewed hope!

but what was happening with the phaser?

I took it that it was on overload maybe just not a full power overload.

If they are going to make a fetish out of sticking to canon (Spock, the Enterprise etc) then they need to look after these details.

I agree they should.

In some ways this ep was too traditional, too conventional?

I disagree there. Its the type of episodes they need to do more. It was almost a perfect episode if they could just get rid of the silly spore drive and any thing connected to the spore drive it would be much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement