Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB removing Loyalty Current Account

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

biebiebie wrote:
    Do you use a GBP account on your Revolut for those payments? Or do you just just the one Euro account and let Revolut do the exchange for each transaction?

I have used the Revolut card for UK underground, usually have sterling in the account but as far as I know, it will take the euro balance if no sterling and there is one conversion at the end of the day,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

biebiebie wrote: »
    Do you use a GBP account on your Revolut for those payments?
    Or do you just just the one Euro account and let Revolut do the exchange for each transaction?

Wondering myself which works best?

I just use the EUR balance. It converts it at a spot rate for GBP so you get the daily rate. I would stress if you know your using it on the
    Weekend you get slightly worse rates so just covert a few EUR to GBP on the Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭TestLink

TestLink wrote: »
    How is EBS? Any one got any experience with them?

Any one here using EBS? Any disadvantage in switching to EBS?

What other current account offers the best value for money even if has to pay a monthly/yearly amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

biebiebie wrote: »
    Do you use a GBP account on your Revolut for those payments?
    Or do you just just the one Euro account and let Revolut do the exchange for each transaction?

Wondering myself which works best?

Generally, it should be enough to let them convert straight over from EUR. However, on the weekends the conversion rates are a bit higher due to the unknown, what the rate will be on the next banking day ( Monday ).

So if you do it regularly or you know you're going to be over the entire weekend, exchange a portion during the week to get the interbank rates. It will only start eating into your EUR balance, once your GBP balance is depleted. Saves you a few bob more. Not that you're already on to a winner with Revolut anyhow.

/M

Was interested in switching to EBS. Handed over all the relevant docs to one of the EBS branches this Monday. No reply yet on my application. Also at the branch there were only 2 staff dealing with every thing. So bit reluctant at the moment to go EBS way. Might go to AIB as they have good customer service.

Any one on the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

august12 wrote:
    Luckily I have this, for once, I picked a good product all those years ago, they don't make a cent from me, not even from my credit card.

I have this account also but I received the letter. Am I losing that account or do I just ignore the letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

I have this account also but I received the letter. Am I losing that account or do I just ignore the letter?

I have a Switch Current A/C with them for years. Called in to my branch yesterday and was told regulator has made sure that "free banking for life means exactly that" so they won't start charging on these accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I haven't received any letter yet but going by the poster who replied to your query, it seems we are safe. I will be contacting them if they try to take it off me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Don't ignore the letter, find out for definite or you could be transferred by the deadline(I'm assuming there is some sort of deadline).

august12 wrote: »
    I haven't received any letter yet but going by the poster who replied to your query, it seems we are safe. I will be contacting them if they try to take it off me.

I was down in the branch a few days ago and the account I have is not affected. Confirmed with them. It's only certain types and if you don't get the letter, you're fine.

I think my account was of the type "CS", which would be a Switch Current Account. And that wasn't in the list of accounts changing.

Now ... having said that, there is no harm checking.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

I'd go into your branch and make sure. I haven't received any letter but the guy checked my account details there and then and said no charges on Switch accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I went in last Friday and switched to the Explore account, took about 20 mins.
    My Sky bill was paid by DD a few days later and I got 5€ back on it plus over a euro for using my card. That's €2 I've made from the bank and more expected before the end of the month. That's more than any interest I use to earn with my previous account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm thinking of moving from ebs to the explore account (I do have a direct debit with sky and would probably use my card just enough to not care about the 4 euro fee). Would it be a good idea or should I stick with ebs?

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I'm thinking of moving from ebs to the explore account (I do have a direct debit with sky and would probably use my card just enough to not care about the 4 euro fee). Would it be a good idea or should I stick with ebs?

How do you rate EBS customer support? Can you do all the normal banking operations with EBS?

Can you transfer money to other Irish and Non Irish bank acounts? Can you pay bills from EBS current account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

How do you rate EBS customer support? Can you do all the normal banking operations with EBS?

Can you transfer money to other Irish and Non Irish bank acounts? Can you pay bills from EBS current account?

My partner and I opened a EBS joint account for household bills. Works fine, didn't really have a need to contact customer care. We have direct debits coming out for virgin bills, heating etc.

I do find it annoying that they don't seem to have an app like any other bank! Slightly annoying having to open a web browsers and login in that way. (First word problems)

I did consider moving my current account there but decided KBC offered better regular saving rates (2.1%) if funded from the current account. Plus no fees if i lodge 2.5k a month (which i will). Plus android pay and garmin pay is a bonus as I enjoy running and always end up been caught in a shop with no bank cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

Roanmore wrote: »
    I went in last Friday and switched to the Explore account, took about 20 mins.
    My Sky bill was paid by DD a few days later and I got 5€ back on it plus over a euro for using my card. That's €2 I've made from the bank and more expected before the end of the month. That's more than any interest I use to earn with my previous account.
    Hi there. Can I check were u already with ptsb? Ie do you still have to call in for switching and does you account number change?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

d1980 wrote: »
    Hi there. Can I check were u already with ptsb? Ie do you still have to call in for switching and does you account number change?

Thanks

Hi, I was with PTSB already, had one of the accounts where they were going to start charging quarterly.
    I called in on the off chance, Friday afternoon. No queue.
    First thing I checked was does the number change as I was getting paid a few days later and didn't want to mess it up. The number stayed the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This popped up on the main page and caught my attention, I have a PTSB Switch Current Account, I haven't given any thought to changing as it's free without any conditions, or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

PTSB Switch current accounts are unaffected by these changes as per multiple posts above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

Roanmore wrote: »
    Hi, I was with PTSB already, had one of the accounts where they were going to start charging quarterly.
    I called in on the off chance, Friday afternoon. No queue.
    First thing I checked was does the number change as I was getting paid a few days later and didn't want to mess it up. The number stayed the same.
    Thanks good to hear

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    PTSB Switch current accounts are unaffected by these changes as per multiple posts above.

How wud I check what type PTSB Current account I have? Is this info in open24 portal or bank statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

How wud I check what type PTSB Current account I have? Is this info in open24 portal or bank statement?

Inside Open24. Look at the names on your list of accounts.

It'll say "Switch Current Account" as the name for your account un Open24.

Or ask in the branch.

/M

I could only see PermanentTSB current account in open24. I called PTSB customer care as was told that my current account is neither Switch Account or Explore Account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I could only see PermanentTSB current account in open24. I called PTSB customer care as was told that my current account is neither Switch Account or Explore Account.

It must have some sort of name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

On the top right of your account statement, there is an Account Type listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

On the top right of your account statement, there is an Account Type listed.

I checked mine and it also just says 'permanenttsb current', I might pop into them during the week to see can I switch over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The last page of the statement shows a fee table...
    Breakdown of Charges/Interest for the Quarterly
    Period up to xxxxxx
    Transactions Fee
    Maintenance Fee 18.00
    Total Charge €18.00
    Exemption
    Reason: Free This Quarter
    Charges Due €0.00

If that is on your statement, it's probably one of the accounts affected by the exemption change of maintaining a balance of 2500

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭EletricMan

Anyone know if the fees are only applicable to current accounts? IE can I keep my savings account and credit card and just close my current account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

EletricMan wrote: »
    Anyone know if the fees are only applicable to current accounts? IE can I keep my savings account and credit card and just close my current account.

- Yes fees are Current Account only.

Advertisement