Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance groupings list?

Options
  • 25-01-2019 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was on phone getting a quote for adding my young lad as a named driver. My own car came in high as it's 15 years old. We then spoke about what cars were good for lower insurance for younger drivers. She said the Golf was actually one of the good ones (I think she said group 9). I said that I thought that in the UK there are lists available that give you the models insurance grouping and asked if there was something similar available here. She said that she thought Cartell.ie give you these details. Had a look on their website and it didn't jump out at me. Does anyone know if there is one available for ROI, or do they just base it off the UK ratings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've never seen listed car insurance groups for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

AXA will tell you groupings on cars.

Ford Focus was group 12 I think, Ford Puma 20, Ford Galaxy group 25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

AXA will tell you groupings on cars.

Ford Focus was group 12 I think, Ford Puma 20, Ford Galaxy group 25

Thanks. Yeah Golf was 9, so Focus would be similar.

Guess a full list does exist, but for the insurers eyes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

I can tell you from renewal this week - '13 mk7 Gti grouping 22, '07 Range Rover Sport grouping 44

the higher the grouping, the higher the premium.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeah Golf was 9, so Focus would be similar. The Golf model/reg I gave her happened to be an English import and the same model is a group 10 in the UK. So probably similar criteria use.

Guess a full Irish list does exist, but for the insurers eyes only.

Yeah it's more for internal use it seems, depending on the person who is on the other end of the phone they may choose to tell you what any car is.

• Advertisement

ondafly wrote: »
    I can tell you from renewal this week - '13 mk7 Gti grouping 22, '07 Range Rover Sport grouping 44

I had a case once where there were 7 groups of difference between the car i had and the car i wanted to temporarily switch to, as it was more than 5 they refused to do the transfer. That was AXA.

How many groups are there does anyone know? and what car comes in at the lowest group in the UK to try and compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

How many groups are there does anyone know? and what car comes in at the lowest group in the UK to try and compare?

It used to go up to 20 when I worked in IT dept of one of the big insurance companies - the list was compiled literally from the back of autocar or whatever UK mag at the time had the groupings - that was circa late 99/2000.

This week was the first time I heard of my previous employer (who I am still insured with) going above group 20; probably some actuarial reason and they have expanded out the groupings to extract more premium. I'm still shocked that a GTI which is faster, easily triple the value and more a target for theft, is a lower grouping and also 200 euros cheaper to insure that a diesel range rover.

Came across this article.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/groups/

Parkers seem to have the info, but not sure how accurate it is.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/insurance-groups/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

22?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

22?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

According to parkers Ford Focus (5/11) 1.4, Group 6, Vauxhall Astra 1.4 (04/10), group 9 to 12,(only expression 7),
    would have thought similar cars.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    According to parkers Ford Focus (5/11) 1.4, Group 6, Vauxhall Astra 1.4 (04/10), group 9 to 12,(only expression 7),
    would have thought similar cars.

I know. But if you read that article I linked there are other factors. Indeed the guy I spoke to in my own insurer mentioned the cost of repair and also the time for parts, which are both in that article. Even bumpers are looked at. I guess fancy lights are a factor too.

So at the minute I'm looking at a new model 2013+ Leon or Rapid hatch with the 1.2 tsi petrol engine. Another alternative might be the i30/Ceed 1.4 petrol. Haven't driven them yet, but I'd imagine the 1.2 tsi would be nicer. Not sure if the Leon would be nicer than the Rapid.

Advertisement