Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid a lot in Tax in January 2019

Options
  • 25-01-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So had a look at my payslip, nearly €500 more taken off me in tax in comparison to last pay check (December).
    I only started my job in June last year (returned from the UK so had not worked here up until June). So will this new pay be the norm for the rest of the year? i.e taking home nearly €500 less a month or how is it worked out?

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

since you only worked half a year last year you had two months tax credits being used against one months pay, this year you will have one months tax credits against one months pay, hence the difference, your January payslip should be the indicator for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 20 snootsnoot

Cheers for that bfclancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Also, check Revenue Online Service how much Illness Benefit is recorded for you. I noticed a large jump in my PAYE (€40 per week) and when I looked into it, Social Welfare had notified Revenue that I had received over €5,000 in Illness Benefit in 2018.

I actually had two weeks' sick leave last year (and therefore only entitled to 3 days' Illness Benefit, which is €132). I queried this with Social Welfare and they informed me that there was a technical error due to changing over to a new system during the year. Apparently, a large amount of people were affected by this, so it may be that this has affected your PAYE.

It's worth checking, just in case.

Advertisement