Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread? (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

phog wrote: »
    I'm posting in Limerick forum rather car detailing as I'm afraid I'll get lost over there with their jargon

With a bit more time on my hands now I wash my car a bit more than I used to, this has coincided with me getting a new 2nd hand car so I'd like to keeping it looking like new. I'm not too fanatical about it but would like a clean car.

What car-wash products do you recommend to use to clean the exterior and interior of the car including the glass? What should I use to remove a few tiny tar specs that I found the last time I washed it.

How do I wash it - what's the sequence in washing, currently I hose it down, use a car wash shampoo then rinse and sometimes wipe down with a cloth.
    Wash with warm soapy water(Fairy Liquid is grand) applied with a sponge. Then rinse clean with cold water. Dry completely with a chamois cloth. Finally, use a buffing cloth to shine. Turtle Wax liquid is brilliant for shine and also as a water repellant particularly on older vehicles. Apply during overcast weather conditions in sections using a damp cloth. Wipe off with a dry cloth and then use buffing cloth to maximise shine. You'll be the envy of your neighbours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The above advice is pretty bizarre and inaccurate.

Fairy liquid like any washing up liquids is not good for your car's paintwork despite what is being claimed above. It's acidic and strips any paint protection on your car and also takes the sheen off it. A sponge also collects the dirt on your car and rubbing it on your paintwork just means your rubbing the dirt back into your paintwork which scratches the paintwork. These are known as swirl marks which are very noticeable in sunlight.

Washing up liquid and a sponge will clean your car alright if that's all you want but given the poster asked for some car wash products I take it he/she has a bit of pride in his/her new car and doesn't want to just clean it.

If you don't want to take my word for it, search the web yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Never trust a web or an internet. Both liars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

DO NOT USE WASHING UP LIQUID, OR ANY OTHER HOME HOUSEHOLD cleaning products.

You'll make absolute **** of the paintwork. You'll easily find some cheap car shampoos in any of the supermarkets/petrol stations.

Hose down car , wash , ideally use the 2 bucket method(Google it) ...rinse and then hand dry to avoid water marks/stains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

moby2101 wrote: »
    DO NOT USE WASHING UP LIQUID, OR ANY OTHER HOME HOUSEHOLD cleaning products.

You'll make absolute **** of the paintwork. You'll easily find some cheap car shampoos in any of the supermarkets/petrol stations.

Hose down car , wash , ideally use the 2 bucket method(Google it) ...rinse and then hand dry to avoid water marks/stains

even mr price has car shampoo liquid & dealz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Any idea of the quietest times to go to tesco Roxboro at the minute please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

shanmo wrote:
    Any idea of the quietest times to go to tesco Roxboro at the minute please?

I have found evenings quietest in most shops after 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Any motor factor stores open or they gonna be closed until the 13th, need to pick up bulbs for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Any motor factor stores open or they gonna be closed until the 13th, need to pick up bulbs for the car.

They are closed to the public but can deliver to garages for emergency cases. Check the Top Part facebook page, there is a number for their Limerick store you can contact and they may be able to assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And if that fails and your still stuck then try a petrol station, they normally will sell bulbs for cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Gobshiites racing along the Groody Road. Hope the Gardai call out and nab them.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

If you ring motor factors and pay over phone most will leave bulb outside the locked door for you. Can’t fit it tho which most would under normal circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

YFlyer wrote: »
    Gobshiites racing along the Groody Road. Hope the Gardai call out and nab them.

What kind of racing.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coollio

Passed Limerick Brakes during the week and they were open. They've the counter built at the front door so you have to stand outside and they'll get stuff for you. This was last Tuesday or Wednesday so might have been closed down by now but chance them tomorrow.

Coollio wrote: »
    Passed Limerick Brakes during the week and they were open. They've the counter built at the front door so you have to stand outside and they'll get stuff for you. This was last Tuesday or Wednesday so might have been closed down by now but chance them tomorrow.

Limerick Brakes are still open if anyone needs anything for their cars.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone open in Limerick who could do laptop repairs? I can't tell if my charger is banjaxed, or if the problem is in the power jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

I am so annoyed by some cyclists in the city. During lockdown you can see a huge decrease in cars on the road however some cyclists still insist on cycling in the footpath.

Most pedestrians are trying their best to social distance on the footpath including myself as I'm pushing a buggy with a new baby. I find most people are very considerate and give plenty of room but not some cyclists.

Shannon bridge has been the worst spot so far. Last week a cyclist weaved through people on the bridge, cycling behind me he kept ringing his bell until I moved out of his way and made grumbling noises when I told him to get out onto the (car free) road. I wasn't the only person to say it either.

Today was another example, a big guy with a wide knee cycling manouver passed me out on the footpath, once again I said to use the (car free) road, he got about a 10 feet ahead of me and put up his middle finger.

No need for it!

Is there anywhere that valets cars open or they gonna be locked for another couple of months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Finding some runners are brain dead when it comes to social distancing and basic manners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I am so annoyed by some cyclists in the city. During lockdown you can see a huge decrease in cars on the road however some cyclists still insist on cycling in the footpath.

Most pedestrians are trying their best to social distance on the footpath including myself as I'm pushing a buggy with a new baby. I find most people are very considerate and give plenty of room but not some cyclists.

Shannon bridge has been the worst spot so far. Last week a cyclist weaved through people on the bridge, cycling behind me he kept ringing his bell until I moved out of his way and made grumbling noises when I told him to get out onto the (car free) road. I wasn't the only person to say it either.

Today was another example, a big guy with a wide knee cycling manouver passed me out on the footpath, once again I said to use the (car free) road, he got about a 10 feet ahead of me and put up his middle finger.

No need for it!

There is no safe cycling lane on that bridge and is really dangerous, on Saturday I was on my way back from the Hub for bikes, and a driver close passed a cyclist on the bridge because they couldnt be bothered to wait a few seconds to pass them safely. Nearly drove into me at the same time.

Everyone needs to be treated fairly here and I know cycling is illegal on footpaths but so is parking on them, have you complained about that or is this just an attack on people that cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Mc Love wrote: »
    There is no safe cycling lane on that bridge and is really dangerous, on Saturday I was on my way back from the Hub for bikes, and a driver close passed a cyclist on the bridge because they couldnt be bothered to wait a few seconds to pass them safely. Nearly drove into me at the same time.

Everyone needs to be treated fairly here and I know cycling is illegal on footpaths but so is parking on them, have you complained about that or is this just an attack on people that cycle?

My post mentions some cyclists, not all people who cycle.

My husband is an avid cyclists and I am fully aware of the dangers that occur on the road. I am pointing the finger at cyclists who are acting the complete b*llocks, taking over the footpath, no social distancing, making noises as they pass me out and giving me the finger. As I said already, there is no need for it.

Yes I have complained about cars taking over the footpath. I live very close to the city centre and cars parked on the footpath on my road is a regular occurrence.

Well done blaming lady pushing buggy complaining about ignorant prick illegally cycling on footpath & turn it against her saying she is attacking cyclists True colours there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

No need for it!

Recently I saw cyclist come in over Sarsfield bridge and turn right up Henry St, cycled between an unmarked squad car and an ambulance, both stationary at the lights, he continued up Henry Ston the lane closest to the Savoy hotel to the junction of Shannon St and then turned left up Shannon St. He was cycling against the flow of traffic on Henry St and Shannon St. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I feel like there should be some distinction between 'cyclist' vs 'dickhead on a bike'. In the same way there's a distinction made every time someone gets knocked down between 'dickhead in a car' and 'car'. You know, 'elderly cyclist killed after colliding with car' kind of thing. We can leave the drivers themselves out of it entirely, it's certainly not the case that they're responsible for the vast majority of the most dangerous behaviour on the road.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I feel like there should be some distinction between 'cyclist' vs 'dickhead on a bike'. In the same way there's a distinction made every time someone gets knocked down between 'dickhead in a car' and 'car'. You know, 'elderly cyclist killed after colliding with car' kind of thing. We can leave the drivers themselves out of it entirely, it's certainly not the case that they're responsible for the vast majority of the most dangerous behaviour on the road.

Like with everything its always those 10% dickheads which give the rest of bikes/cars /cyclist/trucks ...... the bad name.

Like with everything its always those 10% dickheads which give the rest of bikes/cars /cyclist/trucks ...... the bad name.

I've come across a couple of people on bikes in the last couple of weeks cycling on footpaths and man alive it's very annoying. Luckily for me it's most often been on that long straight stretch of Corbally road so it's been fairly easy to pass each other safely. It's been younger people too, a girl in her early teens and a boy maybe a little bit older, so you'd be trying to make allowances for that.

Adult men cycling on the footpath of Shannon bridge would want to cop on to themselves. Get off the bike and push it if you are feeling that unsafe.

For the record, with the lower levels of traffic lately I've been cycling around the city a lot more and have had very few incidents of uncourteous behaviour from drivers. One or two alarming close passes and a couple of cases where someone pulled out in front of me where they shouldn't have but even then in one case the driver slowed down and waved out the window at me presumably to indicate contrition, which was nice.

I can only assume I've been an absolute menace obviously.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've missed cycling. Couldn't justify many essential journeys on my bike for a while, and couldn't think of any suitable routes for exercise in my 2km radius. The weather has been perfect for it too!

edit drivers not divers:p:p:p delete this then

:o

The scourge of the underwater highways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well done blaming lady pushing buggy complaining about ignorant prick illegally cycling on footpath & turn it against her saying she is attacking cyclists True colours there

I only mentioned that its often safer for a person cycling on that section to use the footpath.
    phog wrote: »
    Recently I saw cyclist come in over Sarsfield bridge and turn right up Henry St, cycled between an unmarked squad car and an ambulance, both stationary at the lights, he continued up Henry Ston the lane closest to the Savoy hotel to the junction of Shannon St and then turned left up Shannon St. He was cycling against the flow of traffic on Henry St and Shannon St. Crazy stuff.

And the Gardai did nothing? Quelle surprise...
    keane2097 wrote: »

Usually the media is at fault here because they use car instead of driver when there's an collision involving a car, whereas if its someone on a bike, they'll always use cyclist.

Agreed

Advertisement