Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread? (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Lads when did the actual shop/building in Tesco petrol station close ?? only saw it this evening Total different name on the station and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Lads when did the actual shop/building in Tesco petrol station close ?? only saw it this evening Total different name on the station and all.

It's closed since the start of the year I believe

kilburn wrote: »
    It's closed since the start of the year I believe
    Aww grand thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Never claimed to be an expert, just debating the optics for Limerick.

The conditional booking was described by one journalist as something they'd see used when the U13s chance their arm at booking the better pitch the weekend of a senior county final, not something they'd expect to be used for a national level game, or allowed by the GAA.

Limerick and the GAA pledged towards 20x20, so by not allowing the womens semi final a secure booking (again, they should have rejected outright if they couldn't follow through), they are contradicting their pledge to actively combat gender inequality in sport and provide access to facilities to the national level LGFA/Camogie teams when available.

Limerick were within their right to book the pitch for training, and I'm not saying the LGFA are perfect (or even sometimes functional) but when we're seeing training being prioritised over national semi finals, for a booking made weeks in advance, its time the GAA/LGFA/Camogie review what clubs/counties are allowed to include in terms and conditions and how to ensure competitive match fixture bookings become final. Adding gender into the mix makes it even worse as female teams consistently lose pitch priority over men, but purely for player welfare they should be allowed the certainty of knowing where they are playing when the fixture locations are announced.

Limerick hurlers asked the county board to make the grounds available to them in the event that they got through to the final.

In the meantime, the ladies football association looked for the grounds, they're informed that if the hurlers are successful in getting through to the final then the ground WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE and they still went and booked it. There's only one organisation I blame for that and it certainly isn't the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

phog wrote: »
    Limerick hurlers asked the county board to make the grounds available to them in the event that they got through to the final.

In the meantime, the ladies football association looked for the grounds, they're informed that if the hurlers are successful in getting through to the final then the ground WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE and they still went and booked it. There's only one organisation I blame for that and it certainly isn't the county board.

As you say, the hurling team requested the grounds and it was agreed they could have them, so the question still stands: why weren't the grounds booked for the hurling team outright?

A field isn't schrodingers cat, it shouldnt sit in a state of unknown until an event occurs that determines its fate, its either available or booked. And if its booked, a scheduled event shouldn't be accepted (conditional or not) for an overlapping timeslot. Its doubtful the hurlers would have let the training session booking go to waste even if they weren't in the final, so why couldn't the grounds be booked outright during a time of no ticket sales so therefore no risk of lost revenue by turning down a scheduled fixture over a training session?

• Advertisement

As you say, the hurling team requested the grounds and it was agreed they could have them, so the question still stands: why weren't the grounds booked for the hurling team outright?

A field isn't schrodingers cat, it shouldnt sit in a state of unknown until an event occurs that determines its fate, its either available or booked. And if its booked, a scheduled event shouldn't be accepted (conditional or not) for an overlapping timeslot. Its doubtful the hurlers would have let the training session booking go to waste even if they weren't in the final, so why couldn't the grounds be booked outright during a time of no ticket sales so therefore no risk of lost revenue by turning down a scheduled fixture over a training session?

You seem to want to blame the county board and will turn the story any which way but back to the organisation that booked it knowing there was a condition on booking it and also knowing that if the ground became unavailable they'd have to move - something the football assoc weren't prepared for.
    Its doubtful the hurlers would have let the training session booking go to waste even if they weren't in the final

If Limerick lost the S/final I'm 100% sure the hurlers wouldn't have trained on Sunday.

You seem to want to blame the county board and will turn the story any which way but back to the organisation that booked it knowing there was a condition on booking it and also knowing that if the ground became unavailable they'd have to move - something the football assoc weren't prepared for.

If Limerick lost the S/final I'm 100% sure the hurlers wouldn't have trained on Sunday.

The hurlers were expecting to train until the end of the season, win or lose, because they lost so much of 2020 to lockdown and the league isn't far off (source, one of the team).

I'm not bending a story any which way, I'm debating the optics for Limerick in a sport known for gender bias. As you seem to have never heard of optics based on your replies to my posts, its worth a Google.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The problem with your optics is that you must be looking at them from a really weird angle...

The problem with your optics is that you must be looking at them from a really weird angle...

That's the beauty of optics, 360 degree view.

I get a lot of people disagree with me, which is grand, but as a woman who has been told before "sorry girls the boys need the pitch more" it was disappointing to see it play out again at a national level, and for the decision to be defended by men, predominantly. I've actually yet to see another woman publicly defend Limericks conditional booking (unless I'm getting genders completely arsiways here).

The hurlers were expecting to train until the end of the season, win or lose, because they lost so much of 2020 to lockdown and the league isn't far off (source, one of the team).

I'm not bending a story any which way, I'm debating the optics for Limerick in a sport known for gender bias. As you seem to have never heard of optics based on your replies to my posts, its worth a Google.

I didn't say they wouldn't train...

• Advertisement

I get a lot of people disagree with me, which is grand, but as a woman who has been told before "sorry girls the boys need the pitch more" it was disappointing to see it play out again at a national level, and for the decision to be defended by men, predominantly. I've actually yet to see another woman publicly defend Limericks conditional booking (unless I'm getting genders completely arsiways here).

You're bending facts to try make it look like the men took the field form the women, while in actual fact the men had the field booked and the women chose to take a conditional booking on it.

It wasn't that the men decided at the last minute we want the field and booted the women out.

I didn't say they wouldn't train...
    If Limerick lost the S/final I'm 100% sure the hurlers wouldn't have trained on Sunday

Its a little repetitive seeing all of my posts replied to with the same phrases instead of any further debate/opinion so I'll do everyone a favour a leave it be.

Its a little repetitive seeing all of my posts replied to with the same phrases instead of any further debate/opinion so I'll do everyone a favour a leave it be.

What I said was had they lost the S/F they wouldn't have trained on "the Sunday" I never said they would not have continued with their training program for the coming season.

The county board would have known the ground would not have been available if the team were using it for training regardless of winning or losing the S/F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There’s your problem then. You’re concentrating on one plane and missing out on the other 359*360 degree views.

There’s your problem then. You’re concentrating on one plane and missing out on the other 359*360 degree views.

I've quantum tunnelled into a new level of wokeness that Boards isn't ready for

Can we waffle about something else....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Hey folks, is there anywhere around town that does iPad repairs?

The lads PC repair on William Street were quoting me €60 for parts & labour which is great but unfortunately their supplier didn't have to correct part.

I tried Compu B and they quoted me €278...

All suggestions welcome, thanks.

Try Techstar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can we waffle about something else....

Have I mentioned in here yet that I'm publishing my first book this month? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Have I mentioned in here yet that I'm publishing my first book this month? :cool:

A collection of swan pics?

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »

There's one poem in it that mentions swans, but no pictures! :D Got a lovely sunset photo of the Shannon bridge for the cover though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Try Techstar

Thanks, they said they should be able to sort it

Have I mentioned in here yet that I'm publishing my first book this month?

A history of limericks sexiest men to address the injustice!

When you publish send a link glad to buy it but if it's in Irish of a higher standard than 4th class I wouldn't be able to read it.

A history of limericks sexiest men to address the injustice!

When you publish send a link glad to buy it but if it's in Irish of a higher standard than 4th class I wouldn't be able to read it.

:D

I'll PM you a link now, but I have copies to sell in-person if you want to avoid postage costs. :) Only two pieces of Irish in the collection, but there's a full translation with each of them!

I did put together a collection of 40 poems in Irish this year as well, but haven't tried to flog it to any publishers yet.

dashoonage wrote: »

That reminds me, it's been a while since we had a decent Limerick photography thread. Had some great ones over the years!

That reminds me, it's been a while since we had a decent Limerick photography thread. Had some great ones over the years!

Set one up and we can have a crack at it

If we are on F/book & a member of a certain limerick group we prob could have seen what your book is about.

If we are on F/book & a member of a certain limerick group we prob could have seen what your book is about.

Hmmm. I don't think I've shared the link outside of the usual writers' groups. Gimme a hint if you mean a bigger group than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ah jaysus lads , first rule of secret Facebook pages is one doesn't talk about the secret Facebook pages , now ye are going to have to change the secret handshake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

The last one of those I remember had a dial up warning!!!

Edit : whatever happened to Stan following the... Unpleasantness?

Advertisement