Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home - Ethernet Ports

• 25-01-2019 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have just bought a new build that has 'Cat6 wiring, and ports throughout the house. Some advise if you would be so kind.

Below is what I'm working with:

*Ethernet ports in each room
    *12 ports in a panel located in the utility room. None are marked:mad:
    *Virgin router will be located in the living room, with no chance to move. I don think.

How do I get hardwired broadband to each room?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Jor-El wrote: »
    I have just bought a new build that has 'Cat6 wiring, and ports throughout the house. Some advise if you would be so kind.

*Virgin router will be located in the living room, with no chance to move. I don think.

Thanks in advance

To find which cable goes where get a cheap Ethernet cable tester such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tester-Ethernet-Network-Testing-Suitable/dp/B073ZK9N28/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1548417903&sr=8-7&keywords=ethernet+cable+tester

You'll need two short Ethernet patch leads also. Use the tester to work out what panel points correspond to each room and label them.

To distribute the broadband you need a gigabit switch (16 port) located at the panel. Plug each port from the panel into the switch then connect a LAN port on the Virgin router to the Ethernet point in the living room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭Jor-El

To find which cable goes where get a cheap Ethernet cable tester such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tester-Ethernet-Network-Testing-Suitable/dp/B073ZK9N28/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1548417903&sr=8-7&keywords=ethernet+cable+tester

You'll need two short Ethernet patch leads also. Use the tester to work out what panel points correspond to each room and label them.

To distribute the broadband you need a gigabit switch (16 port) located at the panel. Plug each port from the panel into the switch then connect a LAN port on the Virgin router to the Ethernet point in the living room.

Many thanks, Navi.

How would one use the Ethernet tester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Thanks in advance

Just connect one port in room with router to the router, then get a 12 port or bigger gigabit Ethernet switch and connect the 12 ports at patch panel then all rooms will be connected.

Many thanks, Navi.

How would one use the Ethernet tester?

It's not necessary but it's nice to get them labelled correctly.

To use plug one module of the tester into port one on the panel, the go room to room trying each Ethernet point. When the tester lights up you know that port 1 is connected to that room. Move then to port 2 and repeat until all rooms are found.

I probably would test it because I would not be confident that whoever installed the cabling did it correctly if they did not bother to label it. On the tester each of the eight lights should illuminate in sequence. If one or more light doesn't light up the cabling will need to be looked at for poor terminations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭Jor-El

It's not necessary but it's nice to get them labelled correctly.

To use plug one module of the tester into port one on the panel, the go room to room trying each Ethernet point. When the tester lights up you know that port 1 is connected to that room. Repeat until all rooms are found.

I probably would test it because I would not be confident that whoever installed the cabling did it correctly if they did not bother to label it. On the tester each of the eight lights should illuminate in sequence. If one or more light doesn't light up the cabling will need to be looked at for poor terminations.

Brilliant. Thanks very much for your advice.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Thanks very much for your advice.

No problem! Glad to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

To use plug one module of the tester into port one on the panel, the go room to room trying each Ethernet point. When the tester lights up you know that port 1 is connected to that room. Move then to port 2 and repeat until all rooms are found.

A simpler solution is to just plug the router in one end and a laptop or other ethernet enabled device in the other. Port lights up, you have the right pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd take the lazy route and just buy a switch, connect up every port, wire to router, done. No need for labels :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I know it's nice to have them all named, but there's really no need if you buy a switch with enough ports and plug them all in :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know it's nice to have them all named, but there's really no need if you buy a switch with enough ports and plug them all in :-)

It sure helps if there is a problem, to be able to disconnect the problem run at the switch ... and labelling them certainly helps a lot with that.
    A simpler solution is to just plug the router in one end and a laptop or other ethernet enabled device in the other. Port lights up, you have the right pair.

The tester also tests each individual wire in the run and can be done with less hassle IMO.
    I also found a couple of dodgy connections before the connection was required which allowed me time to correct without any pressure.

For the sake of less than €10 the tester is well worth having ..... even for testing ethernet cables.

• Advertisement

The tester also tests each individual wire in the run and can be done with less hassle IMO.
    I also found a couple of dodgy connections before the connection was required which allowed me time to correct without any pressure.

For the sake of less than €10 the tester is well worth having ..... even for testing ethernet cables.

Port doesn't come up, cable problem.
    Port comes up with flashing orange, running at 100mb. Cable problem.
    Port comes up with flashing green, running at 1gig, all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Port doesn't come up, cable problem.
    Port comes up with flashing orange, running at 100mb. Cable problem.
    Port comes up with flashing green, running at 1gig, all good.

With my previous ADSL connection, I never paid any attention to the colouring at the back of my 5 port switch.
    I now have FFTH.
    The distance between the router is about 20m, because of the route the cable must take.
    I tested the connection and all the lights were in sequence. The light is flashing orange.
    A short cable to the NAS is green.
    2 other cables to a NVR and Smart TV are also orange.
    Does it suggest that the ports on the devices are 100mb or is there something that needs to be checked in my setup ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

joebre wrote: »
    With my previous ADSL connection, I never paid any attention to the colouring at the back of my 5 port switch.
    I now have FFTH.
    The distance between the router is about 20m, because of the route the cable must take.
    I tested the connection and all the lights were in sequence. The light is flashing orange.
    Does it suggest that the ports on the devices are 100mb or is there something that needs to be checked in my setup ?

The connected device needs to be able to connect at 1,000Mb/s else the green light will never turn on, only the yellow one for 100Mb/s

Connect a device with a 1,000Mb/s ethernet port and the green led should light.

joebre wrote: »
    I now have FFTH.

The NVR and TV probably have 100mb ports in them. It does sound like the 20m link to your router is only running at 100mb though. Its usually a fault with 1 of the pairs, 1gig needs all 4 pairs to run.

Advertisement