Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somewhere that doesn't require a car

• 25-01-2019 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I'm looking to plan a small weekend trip within Ireland that would be during the Easter bank holiday weekend.

I don't drive and would be looking to go somewhere with decent enough transport.

I've already been to Galway, Cork and Belfast.

I would be very grateful for any kind suggestions of somewhere that's relatively easy to get to from Dublin and that has enough "tourist attractions" to last the long weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Where you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DoomDaDa

NIMAN wrote: »
    Where you coming from?

Dublin city

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

DoomDaDa wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to plan a small weekend trip within Ireland that would be during the Easter bank holiday weekend.

I don't drive and would be looking to go somewhere with decent enough transport.

I've already been to Galway, Cork and Belfast.

I would be very grateful for any kind suggestions of somewhere that's relatively easy to get to from Dublin and that has enough "tourist attractions" to last the long weekend.

Thanks

Westport is a lovely town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Kilkenny would be a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

+1 for Kilkenny .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I know it's not Ireland but for €70 return with Ryanair you could be in London that weekend with no end of things to do and definitely no driving.

Car99 wrote: »
    I know it's not Ireland but for €70 return with Ryanair you could be in London that weekend with no end of things to do and definitely no driving.
    The original plan was actually Edinburgh but with the whole Brexit situation.....plus it's a surprise trip for my partners 30th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you can forget about the recent bad news reports, Derry would present great value in terms of hotel prices, and especially food and drink.
    And you'll get a friendly welcome.

Coming from Dublin, you'll be shocked how cheap things are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Kilkenny or Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Kilkenny or Galway City for a weekend are lovely ,both great but are very small so after 1 day in Kilkenny uv seen it all maybe 2 days in Galway,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Westport. Last stop on the train. Walking distance to town. Several hotels and numerous bars, restaurants and shops.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Kilkenny or Galway City for a weekend are lovely ,both great but are very small so after 1 day in Kilkenny uv seen it all maybe 2 days in Galway,

I'd actually invert that, I think Kilkenny has a lot more to offer in terms of things to do or see during the day imo.

- Kilkenny Castle
    - Smithwicks Brewery
    - Medieval Museum
    - Rothe House
    - St. Canice's Cathedral
    - Kilkenny Design

off the top of my head plus a multitude of good shops, pubs and restaurants.

OP Limerick might be another place to consider, though I am not as familiar with it other than King John's Castle and the Hunt Museum.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Caranica wrote: »
    Kilkenny or Wexford

I'd second this. Both have excellent options for food and some great pubs. Also Dungarvan. It's small but some super food options and super pubs. Greenway is right on the doorway too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Its true that Kilkenny, Galway and Westport are all well worth visiting but when you mentioned not needing a car maybe you meant not just to get to the destination but to get around when you're there. Not sure re the latter 2 but dont think Kilkenny has great public transport except train to Waterford Sligo on the other had has several buses a day to Strandhill and Rosses Point, plus a town service and a Local Link to all the Wild Atlantic Way points as far as Rossnowlagh. Where you go depends partly on what you want to do. Sligo town itself probably wouldn't have enough to entertain you for a long weekend but if you're interested in the outdoors there are an amazing number of looped walks and of course beaches and its becoming known for its foodie scene too.
    Someone mentioned Dungarvan but why not Waterford? There are any number of museums/sights in city itself, then you could take in Tramore for beach and Lafacido Ahern Japanese Garden plus of course the Greenway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

would definately do edinburgh... great city, great transport and only 25 mins to city from airport and no car need ... would highly recommend the premier inn on rose st or premier inn on Princes st... both great locations and very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

If it were me I would go to Nantes. 1 hour and 10 minutes on the plane. Bus from airport to city centre. Train station in town for seaside trips. Great restaurants & Bars. Cheap hotels.

Thanks for all the idea guys....I'll keep an eye on the news and I'll hopefully be able to book Edinburgh and if not, it'll likely be Kilkenny!

Advertisement