Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Prime 4 Delayed.

Options
  • 25-01-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Yikes No Metroid Prime 4 for a few years guys...

https://www.facebook.com/1809951462609880/posts/2303731579898530/

Nintendo just released 6 minute apology that the game is being restarting development at Retro Studios....

Dammit it was my big hitter, I've had no interest in Smash, Pokemon or Animal Crossing. That was the only AAA I was hoping for. ggrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sh*te.

They'll need the trilogy now to soften the blow.
    I hope that was being worked on by a different team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nintendo falling for the same trick others have of announcing a game way too early. 18 months later they have to essentially chuck it in the bin and start again. similar thing happened with the Final Fantasy VII remake when Square Enix outsourced that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just watched the full video. I'd say it was a massive decision to make, but it was the right one.
    If the original MP4 was terrible, it would have been a massive letdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Disappointing as it is, its good that they are being open and honest about it, and ensuring that it meets the high standard expected. Hopefully anyway!

Give us the trilogy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Ya fair dues them being honest, I'd be happy enuf now with a HD Trilogy for metroid and HD Sunshine & a fixed Skyward Sword HD ReDux as well.

So with no Metroid 4, Mario & BOTW already out with along side Smash, MK8 and Splatoon2 All out on Switch what's left for hardcore folks in 2019 2020 for new non port games?

I dont rate Animal Crossing and Pokemon as hard core for my own tastes.

Here's to maybe a fast track for a new Mario and zelda reusing the assets ? A surprise new Mart Kart 9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Disappointing of course, but at least it maybe shows that Nintendo value Metroid highly again. Quite a unique occurrence from Nintendo, I never remember anything similar to give a development update like that or to confirm a delay in isolation (which happens constantly unknown to people certainly), especially when there hadn't been a single rumour about it or the switch to Retro.

I have a feeling, and per recent rumours, that the Trilogy will be announced quite soon. It also further asks a curious question on the almost myth like Starfox GP game from Retro.

Edit: BOTW had that development update of it's delay but that of course was to polish it when it was changed to Switch. Something like this is very different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the right thing to do, shows respect for the game, but it is still disappointing.
    At least it suggests one thing, given the protracted nature of game development, Nintendo are going to be selling is Switch game for another few years yet!

Metroid Trilogy on the Switch must be a locked in certainty now, in order to give the franchise fans something.

This would explain why the strong rumours from 'insiders' about MPT being at the Video Game awards didn't come to fruition. Looks like it was pulled until this update was announced. That'd be my guess anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bummer. Guess it's good in the long run.
    They never revealed the dev, did they? Think it was just rumoured to be Bandai Namco.

And what happens with the game Retro were working on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Unbelievable. I said previously that I thought the game would come out in 2020, you can probably add at least another year now, making it about 15 years since Metroid Prime 3. Who knows what state the Switch will be in by that time. Actually thinking about it, a game like Metroid Prime 4 you'd imagine would take 3 years at a minimum to develop if they're making it a proper big budget title? It could end up releasing on the Switch successor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

*Nintendo executives scramble to list of remaining Wii U games they can port* :D

If you notice Takahashi makes no mention of Switch in the video and the way he's talking makes me feel like it'll release in 2022 or 2023.

J2022 will be the earliest we'll see it I'd say. Reggie had given a positive development update back in November I think it was, so this sudden change is very recent, with 3-4 year development time the standard. With all the rumours about the Switch iterations I think it's very possible it'll be on different Switch hardware than currently for sure, and with the next gen kicked in by then that's pretty much expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Have the trilogy on Wii u -> Wii digital
    Was 10 euro.
    Have still to play.
    Not a big fan of first person shooters.
    But these are more than that AFAIK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    *Nintendo executives scramble to list of remaining Wii U games they can port* :D

Nintendo executives scramble to add Metroid Prime 4 to the list of Switch games to be ported to the Switch MK2!

sligeach wrote: »
    If you notice Takahashi makes no mention of Switch in the video and the way he's talking makes me feel like it'll release in 2022 or 2023.

Given the development time it'll probably be a while alright, 2021 at the earliest, any later and it'll be Switch successor time.
    Like BotW all over again!
    Seriously.

Metroid Prime 3 took 3 years to make, games take longer and longer to make these days. Not to mention more expensive. And this is the first Metroid game in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Can't see it released on this system now. To be honest, if it's going to take two or three more years, I think I would rather the game be exclusive to the Switch 2 and make use of the extra grunt that system will inevitably have.

Massive disappointment though. Put it to the very back of your mind now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Maybe it could use some of the existing resources that were created for the game that would have been - textures, character models etc. Could shorten the development time possibly! Or that's just wishful thinking....

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Maybe it could use some of the existing resources that were created for the game that would have been - textures, character models etc. Could shorten the development time possibly! Or that's just wishful thinking....

I'm thinking the same.
    The game may need to be rebuilt from scratch, but the assets, already rendered, could be reused saving time.

• Advertisement

Some little nuggets of info has cropped up online in the last few hours from pretty reliable insiders etc, i.e. Imran from Gameinformer.

- Metroid Prime Trilogy has been finished for a while now and it was supposed to have been announced last month.
    - The MP4 delay may also possibly delay MPT until closer to release (This was mostly a guess)
    - Nintendo were supposedly using a new ad-hoc system of developing it across different countries and the problem may have stemmed from there. Some teams doing better on it than others etc.
    - Retro approached Nintendo and pitched them a demo which Nintendo liked.
    - Another Metroid project is also in development, most likely with Mercury Steam again.

Corholio wrote: »
    Some little nuggets of info has cropped up online in the last few hours from pretty reliable insiders etc, i.e. Imran from Gameinformer.

- Metroid Prime Trilogy has been finished for a while now and it was supposed to have been announced last month.
    - The MP4 delay may also possibly delay MPT until closer to release (This was mostly a guess)
    - Nintendo were supposedly using a new ad-hoc system of developing it across different countries and the problem may have stemmed from there. Some teams doing better on it than others etc.
    - Retro approached Nintendo and pitched them a demo which Nintendo liked.
    - Another Metroid project is also in development, most likely with Mercury Steam again.

Likely 🐴 💩. We've heard practically nothing over the past 2 years about the game, apart from the Bandai Namco rumours. Then suddenly within hours of Nintendo's announcement, this guy has reliable information. Ya, right!

I've watched a load of reaction videos, Arlo, Spawn Wave, GameXplain, but TheBitBlock is the one I agree most with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZuwLrSnqgI

Likely 🴠💩. We've heard practically nothing over the past 2 years about the game, apart from the Bandai Namco rumours. Then suddenly within hours of Nintendo's announcement, this guy has reliable information. Ya, right!

Because it's now completely changed studios it makes sense that info on the older developer now trickles out because the whole beholden to sources is not there anymore and wouldn't affect the relationship as it's a cancelled project. It's also info from more than one 'guy'.

We haven't seen a game from Retro Studios in 5 years, you've got to think they're close to finishing whatever they're working on, maybe we'll see it at E3 and it'll be released by the end of the year. It could have been why they weren't asked to make MP4 initially. Retro Studios are a completely different developer from when they made the original Metroid Prime. Maybe Nintendo are impressed with what Retro Studios are making now. It must dispell the rumours that the company are in trouble. Nintendo surely wouldn't move MP4 from one trainwreck to another. RS may not be able to fully commit to MP4 until their current game is finished. Takahashi said it would be a "long road.....and development time will be extensive" Why did he say those words? Why didn't he mention the Switch? There's more pressure on this game to deliver now, I think this game is going to take a long time to come out, as I said before these games take longer to develop nowadays, it'll probably be bigger than the previous games, HD development and I wouldn't bet against some online multi-player elements.

We haven't seen a game from Retro Studios in 5 years, you've got to think they're close to finishing whatever they're working on, maybe we'll see it at E3 and it'll be released by the end of the year. It could have been why they weren't asked to make MP4 initially. Retro Studios are a completely different developer from when they made the original Metroid Prime. Maybe Nintendo are impressed with what Retro Studios are making now. It must dispell the rumours that the company are in trouble. Nintendo surely wouldn't move MP4 from one trainwreck to another. RS may not be able to fully commit to MP4 until their current game is finished. Takahashi said it would be a "long road.....and development time will be extensive" Why did he say those words? Why didn't he mention the Switch? There's more pressure on this game to deliver now, I think this game is going to take a long time to come out, as I said before these games take longer to develop nowadays, it'll probably be bigger than the previous games, HD development and I wouldn't bet against some online multi-player elements.

It's not unlikely that the game will slot into the BotW model, a vast world of differing biomes and conditions, linked by impossible restrictions needing suit upgrades to gain entry, which points to the legacy links (pun intended) between the Metroid series and the LoZ series, starting with LoZII and the original Metroid game.

Advertisement