Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension planned but what to do with the soil?

Options
  • 25-01-2019 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

Im planning an extension which is around 20sq meter ground level so a good bit of top soil will need taken up. What to do with this? I know I can use some of it but I'm wondering what to do with the balance... I'm in the longford area.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

stick it up on donedeal as free for collection?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just make sure there's no trace of knotweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

New Home wrote: »
    Just make sure there's no trace of knotweed.

No knotweed thank God...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭paulbok

Could you put some raised beds in your garden?
    Any dips/ low areas in your lawns that could be levelled up?
    Keep a small bit for pots/ containers or for adding to compost bins.

Ask same questions of your neighbours if you still have to get rid of it. Earn some brownie points with them, most Gardner's are always on the lookout for some soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

paulbok wrote: »
    Could you put some raised beds in your garden?
    Any dips/ low areas in your lawns that could be levelled up?
    Keep a small bit for pots/ containers or for adding to compost bins.

Ask same questions of your neighbours if you still have to get rid of it. Earn some brownie points with them, most Gardner's are always on the lookout for some soil.

Well the grass isn't particularly level.. Could it be sprinkled over the grass?

There is a slight 4 -5 degree drop from the back of the garden to the house. I could level it but then I'd need some sort of sleepers and a step up. Something like

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/87398048997587253/?lp=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭paulbok

That is nice alright. Would such a step suit your house though?
    As for the uneven lawn you could either spread it over the dips and re-seed or dig up the turf off the dip, level with soil and replace the turf.

Advertisement