Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Toll Bridge Faulty - Double Charged!

Options
  • 25-01-2019 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Anyone else go through the M3 toll bridge to have your toll tag beep but the barrier not lift?

It's happened a few times these past months to both myself and my wife - different cars, different tags, different windscreen positions and different barriers - but always and only on the M3 tolls. Never had a problem anywhere else.

We get billed when it beeps and then have to throw coins into the basket because the barrier doesn't lift. The tag company says it may be the windscreen position but we've moved them - even got the company to send us new replacements.

It's doing our heads in. The bridge owners say it's never happened before and no one else has complained and we must be imagining it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Why throw coins in the basket?

Press the help button and you will be sorted fairly quickly, the person at the other end already knows the tag has been read or asks you to read out the tag number and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Clearly you need a Lamborghini so you can drive under the barrier when this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

GM228 wrote:
    Press the help button and you will be sorted fairly quickly, the person at the other end already knows the tag has been read or asks you to read out the tag number and away you go.

+1 there's a help button for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 skydyed

The help button?

We have tried this several times and each time they say the system doesn't update for a few hours and we need to register a complaint the next day. Tried that too but never got a refund yet.

Anyway... referring to my original post, has anyone ever had their tag beep and the barrier not rise on the M3 toll bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

skydyed wrote:
    Anyway... referring to my original post, has anyone ever had their tag beep and the barrier not rise on the M3 toll bridge?

yes all the time it's only the last couple of months though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 skydyed

fergus1001 wrote: »
    yes all the time it's only the last couple of months though

Thanks so much... we thought we were going loco!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

skydyed wrote:
    Thanks so much... we thought we were going loco!

I just go to the cashier and hand over my tag and the Let me through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You weren't double charged , you were charged once and paid cash once . Why pay the cash if you have a tag? Use the help button as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Happens to me regularly at the M3 toll.

All you have to do is press the help button, guy asks what tag you have, asks for the tag number, he checks it and opens the barrier. Away you go.

Because you chose to pay cash once doesn't mean you were charged twice, you were only charged once when it beeped.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

As already stated,you chose to pay cash. Has happened to me a few times,I went to the cashier,presented the tag and off I go. They told me that you can't be charged twice in the space of 10mins(I think) in the same direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

They told me that you can't be charged twice in the space of 10mins(I think) in the same direction.

Sounds like a challenge. Where do we meet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Similar problem, went to car lane, price set at 2.20 instead of 1.40. Press for assistance button out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Hoping I don't sound silly but where is the M3 toll bridge? The M1 has one (The Boyne) and the M50 has one (the Liffey) but for the life of me, I can't think where there could be a toll bridge on the M3 :confused:

Taken from the Eurolink M3 website:

"Where are the M3 Toll Plazas located?
    There are two toll plazas in the M3 Motorway, the Southern Toll Plaza (Blackbull TP) at Pace between Dunshaughlin and Clonee and the Northern Toll Plaza (Grange TP) at Grange between Navan and Kells."

No mention of any toll bridges here either.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Similar problem, went to car lane, price set at 2.20 instead of 1.40. Press for assistance button out of order.

Is your vehicle private or commercial, bearing in mind a car-derived van is still classed as commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

highdef wrote: »
    Hoping I don't sound silly but where is the M3 toll bridge? The M1 has one (The Boyne) and the M50 has one (the Liffey) but for the life of me, I can't think where there could be a toll bridge on the M3 :confused:

Taken from the Eurolink M3 website:

"Where are the M3 Toll Plazas located?
    There are two toll plazas in the M3 Motorway, the Southern Toll Plaza (Blackbull TP) at Pace between Dunshaughlin and Clonee and the Northern Toll Plaza (Grange TP) at Grange between Navan and Kells."

No mention of any toll bridges here either.

The OP means the toll plaza, theyre just calling it a toll bridge for some reason and I'd guess that they mean the plaza at Dunshaughlin since that's where I have my problems with the tag not beeping

kerry37 wrote: »
    The OP means the toll plaza, theyre just calling it a toll bridge for some reason and I'd guess that they mean the plaza at Dunshaughlin since that's where I have my problems with the tag not beeping

Cheers, I thought an additional toll plaza had been installed somewhere along the M3 and was getting myself confused.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Not the first time this has happened at the M3 tolls, and over a substantial period of time too. Either they’re not bothered with fixing the issue, or they’re doing it on purpose in the hope of getting a few more quid in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I went through both tolls on the M3 twice on Sunday and my tag didn't work at all. Tag ID number sorted it but shouldn't have to do any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

superg wrote:
    I went through both tolls on the M3 twice on Sunday and my tag didn't work at all. Tag ID number sorted it but shouldn't have to do any of that.

Does it work elsewhere? There's a battery in then I think

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Everyone who has had this problem should write to http://tii.ie/contact/

• Advertisement

I'm new to motorway driving and use the M3 daily now. Haven't had an issue yet.
    What are you meant to do if you are in the express lane and the barrier doesn't lift? Might be a stupid question but I do be driving at about 50 through the express lane in the dark and haven't really looked to see what the alternative options are should the barrier not lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

What are you meant to do if you are in the express lane and the barrier doesn't lift? Might be a stupid question but I do be driving at about 50 through the express lane in the dark and haven't really looked to see what the alternative options are should the barrier not lift.

When you go past the tag reader, there's a sign above your head which shows which direction to drive in. If everything is okay, the arrow will show straight ahead and the barrier will open. If there's a problem, it will direct you to go left where you join the regular lanes into the toll booths. Traffic in those lanes won't be expecting you to appear in front of them so it's a move you need to take carefully. You can see the two signs and the exit lane in this image.

People (not you) who insist on driving through the express lanes at 70/80kph are idiots waiting for a crash to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's a lane to the left to exit. If the tag is not read, there will be an amber direction light pointing you to the exit to go to the manned checks and a red X light above the barrier

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Victor wrote: »
    Everyone who has had this problem should write to http://tii.ie/contact/

It’s been done several times. Still hasn’t been resolved.

Advertisement